Typhoon Lagoon vs. Volcano Bay. Who is winning?

disney4life2008

Out of curiosity, where did you gleen this all telling piece of information? Its so filled with facts and attendance figures, i can barely get a handle on it.

I for one know many locals, some family, some friends, that go to Typhoon Lagoon exclusively, after having visited all the rest in town.
Care to explain where you conducted your research? My wife is a lady and doesn't swim. These two factors mean when we're at Typhoon Lagoon she stays under the shade whilst I go out swimming and slide riding whilst there and she also talks to people. Then when we leave she talks to me and tells me about what she talked about to the people sat near her that day (even when I tell her to stop). What I learn from this (which is often very little), is that locals do go to Typhoon Lagoon because my wife meets them and talks to them and then tells me all about it.

Ucf. Airport. People ok the west side. They will go to volcano bay before stepping foot in a Disney water park.

mergatroid

Ucf. Airport. People ok the west side. They will go to volcano bay before stepping foot in a Disney water park.

How do you strike up these conversations specifically about their visiting Volcano Bay whilst never setting foot in a Disney water park with locals in these places? What numbers do you ask to make it a fair representation of 'all locals' :confused:

Club Cooloholic

I debated going a month or 2 after it first opened as we were at Universal, but read the ride reservation system was a mess! Not sure if that had been fixed yet.

thomas998

Just wondering. I read this interesting article on the Motley Fool

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/07/21/disney-worlds-top-rival-is-winning-the-water-park.aspx

Seem while the Author feel Volcano Bay is "winning" the water park wars, I question how he came to this conclusion. He note that Disney's water parks were open 5 months long in 2017 then Volcano bay was. I assume he thinks this because VB did not open until May 25th, but he is overlooking that both Disney water parks are closed for at least 2 months of the year. They take turns.

So.... annual attendence for Typhoon was 2.16 mill in ten months, or 216k per month while VB was 1.5 mill in 7 months or 214k per month. So in the first year of Universals highly publicized brand new water theme park, the decades old Typhoon Lagoon was still beating VB in month to month attendance. I assume VB will actually win the annual attendance battle, but only because to my knowledge, it does not close seasonal like the Disney Water Parks do. But is that really winning?

Frankly both the numbers are pointless if you want to see who is winning. What you need to do to accomplish that is to find out the number of visitors each of the water parks had by people that went solely for a water park, otherwise the problem you have is that lots probably most of the Typhoon visitors only went because they had the park included in their regular ticket. You can still go and just pay to get in but I really doubt anyone does that at Typhoon or Blizzard Beach... I could however see people paying simply for VB simply because of the newness factor. If I were only down there for a Disney trip and had the time I would do a VB only just to see what it was like... We thought about that the last time we were down on a short trip but because we were seeing reports of insane lines in VB we decided to wait until it had been open longer and had worked out any issues that were causing the long lines... And from what I've heard it seems to be more an issue of needing more things to do.

If I were guessing I would say VB is winning now because of the newness of it... but you can't find number to prove it is winning or losing because neither universal or disney are publishing the data it would take to show that.

Disone

Original Poster
Frankly both the numbers are pointless if you want to see who is winning. What you need to do to accomplish that is to find out the number of visitors each of the water parks had by people that went solely for a water park, otherwise the problem you have is that lots probably most of the Typhoon visitors only went because they had the park included in their regular ticket. You can still go and just pay to get in but I really doubt anyone does that at Typhoon or Blizzard Beach... I could however see people paying simply for VB simply because of the newness factor. If I were only down there for a Disney trip and had the time I would do a VB only just to see what it was like... We thought about that the last time we were down on a short trip but because we were seeing reports of insane lines in VB we decided to wait until it had been open longer and had worked out any issues that were causing the long lines... And from what I've heard it seems to be more an issue of needing more things to do.

If I were guessing I would say VB is winning now because of the newness of it... but you can't find number to prove it is winning or losing because neither universal or disney are publishing the data it would take to show that.
Does disney still typically include water tickets in there vacation packages? (Sincere question)

lawdogNOLA

Does disney still typically include water tickets in there vacation packages? (Sincere question)

The Park Hopper Plus ticket, which can be included in vacation packages, has the option of going to a waterpark that day, or other Disney activities.

Also, in the locals "don't go there" category: WDW sells an annual water park pass, which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't if locals didn't go.

I've not been to Volcano Bay. But what I can say is that this ignores a basic fact: Disney has TWO water parks to Universal's one. Further, Universal promotes it as a Theme Park, which I don't buy for a second (nor do I consider City Walk a Theme Park, like Universal does). To compare numbers between Typhoon Lagoon and Volcano Bay, without also, saying, "Oh, BTW, Disney is also taking in these numbers from something called Blizzard Beach," is just nonsense.

Kevin_W

Noah’s ark is the biggest in town and is also the best. Mt Olympus is good to but they have recently had some issues with some of the guests. There are also some indoor water parks that are good. Kalahari and great wolf are great for a winter weekend.

Is the Kalahari in Wisconsin as expensive as the one in Ohio? For some weekends in Ohio for the price of 2 nights at Kalahari, I could fly my family of 3 to Florida, stay at an All-Star resort, and buy tickets to Typhoon lagoon for less money. It's crazy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom