News Two new solar arrays coming online in 2023 will double Walt Disney World's solar capability

Naplesgolfer

I doubt it. I don't think I've seen any utility scale solar facility that does this in many years. I assume they determined that the added efficiency isn't worth the extra complexity, cost and maintenance. Maybe the tilt to change elevation but they don't change direction.
Two large scale tracking solar fields were just installed in Sebring FL. I have seen them myself. I do believe the large Disney solar fields are 1 axis tracking systems. The 25% additional power warrants the additional cost.

CntrlFlPete

Why would it be possible to mount a motor a few feet above the ground and not a few more feet above the ground?

I would hope that if they went with a car port solution, they would use a system built for carports. I do not think it is as simple as a motor -- you need clearance for the range of motion, added weight due to 'track' for the panels to traverse.

The thing with the two new farms (that i am not sure if all the gates at WDW would accomplish, but they are building in different areas to account for different cloud cover,

here is a news story I found that mentions that these panels off 429 do track with the sun, re-potion for storms -- I just think these panels would not work as a car port roof.

TikibirdLand

So they can install solar panels over the parking lot in France, but can't in Florida because it's too expensive. Got it. :banghead:

What's the next excuse that's going to be trotted out by the TDO Defenders as to why solar panels in a parking lot won't work?
There's a certain large computer company in central Texas installing solar in the parking lots of one of their buildings. They're carport style. I believe it's a POC. But, it's interesting that it's mainstream enough in Texas but not in Florida... Oh, and they survived the recent tornados. One passed as close as 1/4 mile from the farm.

DisneyCane

There's a certain large computer company in central Texas installing solar in the parking lots of one of their buildings. They're carport style. I believe it's a POC. But, it's interesting that it's mainstream enough in Texas but not in Florida... Oh, and they survived the recent tornados. One passed as close as 1/4 mile from the farm.
It didn't "survive" the tornado, it was luck that it was 1/4 mile away.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So they can install solar panels over the parking lot in France, but can't in Florida because it's too expensive. Got it. :banghead:

What's the next excuse that's going to be trotted out by the TDO Defenders as to why solar panels in a parking lot won't work?

Saying it's to expensive is not defending TDO, it's criticism of them not being willing to spend a little extra to do something the right way.

DrewmanS

It is cheaper to install the panels over cleared land than a parking lot. Since WDW has lots of land, there is no reason to choose the more expensive option.

Covered parking also creates issues with security and safety. Additional infrastructure like lighting, cameras, power lines, drainage, height restrictions, reduced capacity and flexibility. You can put solar over parking lots, it’s just not necessarily the best option if you have other alternatives.

Brian

It should be noted that these two new arrays are being built off property. One in Polk County (SW of WDW) and one in Gilchrist County (NW of WDW), near Gainesville. The latter is a considerable distance away.

GimpYancIent

Near miss or not does not matter. Any solar panel array that has a tornado pass over it will not fare well just like any other structure subjected to the impact of a tornado. The practicality of the over head / car port parking lot solar arrays easily out weighs destroying green space. Disney has Living With the Land and touts green spaces for show and P.R. when actually abusing the land.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Reedy Creek Improvement District is allowed to use nuclear power…
And for a while, I thought they were going to...
1649186488291.png

Skibum1970

The Cincinnati Zoo has covered parking with solar panels. This isn't some new or undiscovered tech for the U.S.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Cincinnati Zoo has covered parking with solar panels. This isn't some new or undiscovered tech for the U.S.

Nobody is saying it is. Disney is just taking the cheap way out.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

It'll last until the first big hail storm. Texas hail storms are nothing to sneeze at and can be deadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom