Two new Disney Cruise Line ships??

RSoxNo1

Any chance they'd add additional medium sized watercraft to transport guests to and from the Magic Kingdom for when the monorails all break?

cheezbat

I'm going to gripe like a cranky fanboy for a moment:

Seriously? Why can they spend a billion dollars on ships but don't want to spend a couple hundred million on new attractions in the stale WDW theme parks? Ugh!!!

Ok...end of gripe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm going to gripe like a cranky fanboy for a moment:

Seriously? Why can they spend a billion dollars on ships but don't want to spend a couple hundred million on new attractions in the stale WDW theme parks? Ugh!!!

Ok...end of gripe.
Simple answer...better ROI. If you had the choice of spending $100 and making $1 or spending $1000 and making $1500 which one would you take?

sweetpee_1993

Just posted on the other thread but may as well here, too. RCI is already contracted with Meyer Werft (builder who gave us the Dream & Fantasy) and I think construction has begun on the first of their new Quantum class vessels. Those 2 are set to sail in fall 2014 & spring 2015. I have no clue who built the classic ships. If this is true about 2 new ships, would MW have the facilities/ability to take on 2 more ships? Would the time frame mentioned mesh with the time frame the RCI ships are due?

I think anything is possible. I heard mention of it last May, too, while onboard the Magic but chalked it up to "bus driver info". I have heard more than once from various places that future Disney vessels would be likely to be smaller than the Dream & Fantasy. I hope that's true. We love the technology & updates on the new ships but far prefer the personal, intimate feel of the smaller vessels. Cannot wait to be on the Wonder for 15 days in May 2014!!! Gonna be heavenly!

Wasn't DCL's original business model based on more than just 4 ships????

I also would be shocked to hear an announcement at the upcoming Monster Summer whatever thing at WDW. I would imagine 2 new ships would be worthy of presenting at D23. IMO, as a big fan of sailing with Mickey nowadays, I would think this is news worthy of its own event & celebration.

And if its true I hope to God DCL does a better job picking Godmothers for future vessels. Seriously. The last 2 are just stupid.

HMF

They can just stick a Walt in front of the name, and, tada! have the Walt Disney Wonder.
Last time I checked they were for all intents and purposes removing Walt's name from the company.
disney-logo.jpg

castlecake2.0

There wont be any "Mid Sized Ships." It is my understanding that any/all future ships will be dream class.

Plus we have to pay the new ones off before we start cutting any new steel.

I was working onboad the Dream during the cruise that paid off the ship, Im assuming the Fantasy has reached that mark too

Bolna

A little rumor just started by one of @WDW1974 's favorite people: Ricky Brigante

well, @WDW1974 hinted to that already some time ago;
Not in the near term, but I would expect them to down the road. ... but they have a lot of interest in Europe and Asia and even places as far as Australia and New Zealand.

And that is why you will see new ships a LOT sooner than Disney is leading on. Trust me on this one, I broke the news of two new ships back in 07 on LaughingPlace.com and my sources are impeccable on this subject. ... The Magic and Wonder don't have that many more years of sailing North America in them, but newer markets they could go for another decade-plus.

sweetpee_1993

well, @WDW1974 hinted to that already some time ago;

Exactly! The hardcore DCL fans are screaming for different ports/destinations. Don't believe it? Have DCL announce itineraries with new or different ports and those sailings book like wildfire. Other lines perform just fine in other markets & locales. Disney can, too! Keeping short runs out of Port Canaveral will always be a good thing for land-n-sea trips with WDW. There's only so many times you can go to the same ports over & over before you start eyeballing other places & lines that go somewhere interesting.

articos

Just posted on the other thread but may as well here, too. RCI is already contracted with Meyer Werft (builder who gave us the Dream & Fantasy) and I think construction has begun on the first of their new Quantum class vessels. Those 2 are set to sail in fall 2014 & spring 2015. I have no clue who built the classic ships. If this is true about 2 new ships, would MW have the facilities/ability to take on 2 more ships? Would the time frame mentioned mesh with the time frame the RCI ships are due?

I think anything is possible. I heard mention of it last May, too, while onboard the Magic but chalked it up to "bus driver info". I have heard more than once from various places that future Disney vessels would be likely to be smaller than the Dream & Fantasy. I hope that's true. We love the technology & updates on the new ships but far prefer the personal, intimate feel of the smaller vessels. Cannot wait to be on the Wonder for 15 days in May 2014!!! Gonna be heavenly!

Wasn't DCL's original business model based on more than just 4 ships????

I also would be shocked to hear an announcement at the upcoming Monster Summer whatever thing at WDW. I would imagine 2 new ships would be worthy of presenting at D23. IMO, as a big fan of sailing with Mickey nowadays, I would think this is news worthy of its own event & celebration.

And if its true I hope to God DCL does a better job picking Godmothers for future vessels. Seriously. The last 2 are just stupid.
Fincantieri built the maiden ships. Meyer Werft can build 3-4 ships a year, and has 2 RCI and 3 Norwegian ships in the pipeline through 2015.

megaelch

I assume they would choose Meyer Werft again here in germany and as we could see in the last two years they are able to build from scratch within 10 month to delivery .. no big deals announced for them after the 2 new class NCL ships so that leaves possible delivery spots for late 15 and early 16 ....i would bet on it ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom