Two big new features coming soon to MyMagic+

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think it's actually the WiFi network.

Same thing a WiFi signal has 2 information elements the ESSID which is what you see when you connect to a WiFi network and BSSID which uniquely identifies what access point you are connected to and the BSSID is globally unique it's why locations services states it's more accurate when WiFi is turned on as the google and others collect that data and associate it with physical location

PuertoRekinSam

Darn! I was really expecting to be able to choose fastpasses for multiple parks! That would solve our dilemma for fall!

I don't think we will ever see that feature.
From the company side, Disney seems to be doing everything they can to disillusion the idea of park hopping. For example 3 days with park hopping is more expensive than a 4 day one park.... Of course once you take into consideration food and merchandise etc... The 4th day becomes more expensive (aka more profitable).

From the Noob guest side. If they book 7 dwarfs at 9am and toy story mania at 10am. They will be very disappointed for not knowing any better that they could get there. Maybe they put a hold threshold on park hoping (2 hours or so) but for the experienced guest maybe this is too long.... There are a lot of variables that could go wrong.

NelleBelle

Having never used the MDE feature yet on my phone (won't until Oct), will you have to connect to wifi for the features to work? I usually keep my phone turned off of wifi just to conserve battery life.

DManRightHere

I don't think we will ever see that feature.
From the company side, Disney seems to be doing everything they can to disillusion the idea of park hopping. For example 3 days with park hopping is more expensive than a 4 day one park.... Of course once you take into consideration food and merchandise etc... The 4th day becomes more expensive (aka more profitable).

From the Noob guest side. If they book 7 dwarfs at 9am and toy story mania at 10am. They will be very disappointed for not knowing any better that they could get there. Maybe they put a hold threshold on park hoping (2 hours or so) but for the experienced guest maybe this is too long.... There are a lot of variables that could go wrong.
I always thought of park hopping as benefit to Disney. It does cost more logistically, but it can help disperse crowds to other parks.

As for Disney never offering multiple FP's for multiple parks, it could be a benefit for resort guests. There rumors of so many perks disappearing for resort guests they'll have (I would hope) offer less tangible perks to resort guests.

Rob562

Having never used the MDE feature yet on my phone (won't until Oct), will you have to connect to wifi for the features to work? I usually keep my phone turned off of wifi just to conserve battery life.

No, you do not have to have Wifi connected for it to work. The app will use your cell network just fine.

The one thing to watch out for though would be after this update rolls out, whether that becomes important when trying to make your additional FP+ selections. I doubt it, but the system could possibly check to see that you're actually in the park to make the additional rolling 4th FP+ selection, and one way to do that would be to check the wifi network.

-Rob

Jon81uk

I always thought of park hopping as benefit to Disney. It does cost more logistically, but it can help disperse crowds to other parks
It can also bring crowds over to other parks. For example people might go do the rides at DHS and then hop over to MK for Wishes making MK more crowded.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It can also bring crowds over to other parks. For example people might go do the rides at DHS and then hop over to MK for Wishes making MK more crowded.
That happens every night now. The stream of people going into MK to see Wishes is quite unbelievable. Huge hordes.

DManRightHere

Makes sense. This is also where FP+ could be an advantage. Disney could offer some incentive to go to another park. The FP+ really should already have some effect on crowds. If people are trying to get FP's and none are available for the big attractions, they should choose another park. Though this still depends on if most people use FP+ and if they are visiting Disney for multiple days.

magicmom4

Wish this had happened just a few days earlier lol. We didn't know you had to go to kiosks to make additional FP selections until we were actually in the parks this week. Super busy anyway, not many FP selections left in the afternoons anyway.

Rob562

Interesting update. They've entirely changed the format of how you make the FP+ selections. Make them one at a time now, and it mirrors more closely how they do dining reservations: you're given three times close to the time you want, and you select from there.

-Rob

WDWBryan

Yeah I just got the update and it's kinda crazy.

Was expecting the fine tuned fast pass selections to be an additional option not a replacement.

You can no longer pick a date pick a park and choose the 3 things you want.

Now you have to pick a day, pick a park and then browse by time and look to see if there is a fast pass available for what you want to do. Takes way to long!!

I'm shocked they got rid of the quick picks.

Sonconato

It doesn't appear anything was mentioned about what seems to be an initial hiccup on the rollout of this new FP system update. We were at MK tonight and we went to get our 4th FP and all we found was that there were none available. We asked a CM and she said that since they rolled it out today, nobody could get additional FPs at all. It wasn't a big deal for us but I can only imagine a lot of people weren't too happy. Fortunately, it wasn't all that crowded.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting update. They've entirely changed the format of how you make the FP+ selections. Make them one at a time now, and it mirrors more closely how they do dining reservations: you're given three times close to the time you want, and you select from there.

-Rob
Yep, I think it is far more logical now, especially for new users.

MrPromey

Yeah I just got the update and it's kinda crazy.

Was expecting the fine tuned fast pass selections to be an additional option not a replacement.

You can no longer pick a date pick a park and choose the 3 things you want.

Now you have to pick a day, pick a park and then browse by time and look to see if there is a fast pass available for what you want to do. Takes way to long!!

I'm shocked they got rid of the quick picks.

Not only does it take longer but when we tried booking some after a spur of the moment trip yesterday, we noticed two annoying things about doing this on the app - after picking the initial selection, it would then present additional selections to choose that overlapped that initial time. Okay, not a big deal since it doesn't take an hour to do anything so if you have something for 5:05-6:05 you shouldn't have too much trouble making it to something else not that far away with a time window of 5:30-6:30... except when you go to do it, it tells you that you have something in that timeframe already and need to cancel it if you want this one.

... So, it shows you fastpasses you can't use after you've booked others (Presumably in case there is someone else in your party that maybe didn't use the ones you already booked I guess) but doesn't show you the time of the one that conflicts and doesn't mention anything about a potential conflict at the time of showing the options for the new one. It's all stuff they can and hopefully will fix in some manner with a future rollout, though.

deeevo

I used this yesterday at MK and it was a hot mess. I know it was the 1st day but I keep getting errors saying " Oops Something Went Wrong" and " No FP for MK are available at this time" this was at 11 AM. It seems much more bloated then they way it was setup before. I could pull in and push out times in a flash before now it seems like there are a few extra steps. This was just my real world experience yesterday. I am sure it will get better.

RememberWhen

Since you could now pick just one fast pass for a park, could you then hop and pick your second and third at the new park? Most of the FP at Epcot we skip, especially since all the good rides are tier 1. Could we pick an early FP for test track, then head to the MK and make two more FP there, or do we still have to pick 3 in Epcot, presumably early so we can let them expire, before making a fourth (really the second we want) at another park?
We will be at Boardwalk in September, so it would be easy enough to be at rope drop, but not having to rush with a 4yo and my parents would be nice.

Rob562

Yep, I think it is far more logical now, especially for new users.

My one concern is that the new system may not help people unfamiliar with the park as much as the previous system.

Under the previous FP+ booking system, when you selected your three FP+ choices, if at all possible it gave you times that created a logical path through the park with minimal criss-crossing. You didn't have to rush from Space Mountain to Big Thunder in back-to-back time slots. Sure, you could then edit them if that's what you *wanted* to do (because knowledgeable Disney park fans know how to cross the park quickly, whereas newbie may not), but it helped the new folks out.

Now, unless it filters those selections a bit behind the scenes, newbies may unknowingly end up criss-crossing the park because that's how they selected their initial three FP+ choices when they did them one-at-a-time...

I also hope that the bug of it offering a FP time that overlaps another FP that you already have scheduled will be fixed. I also presume/hope that it also still takes dining reservations into account when offering FP+ options like it did before... (I'll have to play around with it on my lunch break now that I have a desktop to mess with rather than just the app or mobile site)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom