TV's In Queue Lines Needed

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I am trying to teach my children that you do not need to be entertained every second of the day so this goes against exactly the lesson I want them to learn. They want to bring PSP's in the car for a 5-10 minute car ride, for goodness sake! While I am not a huge fan of waiting in line, I am thankful that there is something there to entertain me in the queues. Looking for hidden Mickey's or paying attention to all the minute detail that WDW has put into creating them.

So, I vote no. No tv's in the queues. Talk to your family, really look at the detail or just stand there and be bored, whatever. Deal with it because, quite frankly, you should be happy that you can be at WDW when a lot of people can't. Let's face it, it's not the worst thing in the world, it's simply a fact of life to be bored for a while.

I applaud you for this. :sohappy: :wave:

powlessfamily4

Got back from enjoying a fun daytrip to Six Flags in Atlanta this past Sunday (8/21). Visiting regional parks such as SFOG makes me appreciate more & more what we get at Disney. While the park has cleaned up over the past couple of seasons...it still needs help.

There is, however, one aspect I've always noticed about Six Flags & some other regional parks that I wish Disney would take after: Televisions in the queue lines.

Being the last weekend before the majority of schools started back...it was a bit on the crowded side Sunday, needless to say. Having television sets in the waiting lines made them much less on the frustrating side. I'm not talking about pre-show TV's, or interactive TV screens. I'm talking about the way Six Flags does it where guests can watch baseball games or MTV while waiting in line. Some TV's were playing music videos, others had sports stations on. Yet others were playing just random clips from HBO, stand-up comedians, and random advertisements of upcoming festivals on park.

In a nutshell, this really made the lines seem that much quicker. You spend more time engulfed in the comedian on screen, the baseball game being played, or music videos being shown, that you "forget" about the line. Next thing you know... it's time to board the coaster.

While Disney does a remarkable job with line theming and creating story while even in the queue of an attraction, this method of having TV sets for guests to watch random entertainment while IN line would possibly benefit parks & guests. Pretty decorations & theming will not hold most children's attention in line like a cartoon short can. And it would be a lot cheaper of an option than going all-out with theming just for what... a queue??

So out of all the things Six Flags parks do wrong (more than less), this is one thing the park chain does right. And quite possibly the only time I observe something at a SF park and think: "Disney should adopt this idea".

Bring TV's to queue lines at WDW.

Please please please .... do not suggest anything from this horrible place be brought to Disney!! I live west of this park and I can attest this particular park is majorly run down and now sits smack dab in a horrible area right next to Fulton Industrial Blvd. Gangs hang out outside the gates and more than 1 person has had a beat down in front of the gates. The lines are painfully long all the time. In the 96 degree heat of Georgia. I can see where TVs would be required in order to take your mind off the idea that you are about to pass out and possibly help you ignore the scent of all the rotten stagnant water surrounding the rides. Nothing from this park including any of their ideas, should ever enter Disney. :hurl:

WDWmazprty

I think instead of TV's those professional chinese massagers you see in the malls should be available while we're in line. :lookaroun

David S.

Please please please .... do not suggest anything from this horrible place be brought to Disney!! I live west of this park and I can attest this particular park is majorly run down and now sits smack dab in a horrible area right next to Fulton Industrial Blvd. Gangs hang out outside the gates and more than 1 person has had a beat down in front of the gates. The lines are painfully long all the time. In the 96 degree heat of Georgia. I can see where TVs would be required in order to take your mind off the idea that you are about to pass out and possibly help you ignore the scent of all the rotten stagnant water surrounding the rides. Nothing from this park including any of their ideas, should ever enter Disney. :hurl:

That's why I prefer to visit SFOG in the spring, or better yet, October weekends for longer night hours. While summer visitors are sweltering in the 96 degree heat, I am riding Goliath, Mindbender, Great American Scream Machine, and Georgia Cyclone over and over again under a perfectly cool, 60 degree, moonlit sky :)

I agree the area around the park isn't what it used to be, but I have had no problems on my annual weekend trip. I usually stay in Marietta which is only 15 minutes or so away, and I get "parking" on my pass which gets me into the official lots for free. Sure, it's no Disney, but what else is? Still one of the more beautiful regional parks, IMO.

I am in total agreement with you about the "no TVs at Disney", though! :)

PS. This ride alone makes it worth the trip, for me. Nothing but perfectly-profiled "camelback" hills designed for MASSIVE airtime on each one! I wish Florida had one ;) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN0JJKWemo4

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
TVs in line? Not unless they fit the theme. In the American Idol line -- sure. Even the TVs in the KS line are OK, becuse the theme is a game reserve and the videos they play educate you about the reserve and the animals. But TVs that play advertisements, or music videos? Please no.

The interactrive queues they are installing are the right answer here. Make the queue part of the story, not a waiting area where people must be entertained. And if you don't like the Dumbo queue today, just pull out your smartphone and what or listen to whatever you like.

Walt Disney1955

Not to shoot down your idea, but those baseball games and music videos and such bring you back into the "real world" and take you out of the total immersion in the theme, "story", and fantasy of the Disney parks. Like, if you are in the queue for Splash Mountain or Big Thunder, or in the holding area for CBJ, what on earth would a MLB game or an MTV video have to do with the old frontier?

My thought exactly. Hey its a nice idea from the OP, but Disney doesn't need a TV in the lines. Six Flags park need it for the very reason that there is nothing in the line other than steel bars separating the guests. A TV is nice there, but that's it. You don't want to take away from the theming with a TV in Disney parks

BigTxEars

It's really tragic why that park closed, too. The people of Houston supported it well, even though the corporate office didn't give them the new attractions in the final years they were putting in their other parks. And then when Dan Snyder began his "hostile takeover" of SFI, Kieran Burke panicked and put the land on the market to try to raise quick cash and save his job, since he was told by "experts" that the downtown location made the land more valuable than the park. He got ousted anyway, SFI didn't get what they wanted for the land, and it is still an empty field where Astroworld used to be.

I agree, Fiesta is a nicely run SF, and the atmosphere down in the quarry is very unique! The way the coasters interact with the quarry walls is also very unique. I LOVE the Rattler :)

Yes, I really enjoy your Sea World! It's covered on my chainwide Busch Gardens/Sea World "Platinum Pass" and I even get to park for free, in Preferred Parking! I LOVE Steel Eel and have "marathoned" on it, including night rides, when it was a walk-on! I love hypercoasters (all drops and airtime) and actually like it better than the coasters at the Orlando Sea World.

I've also been to your zoo and rode the miniature train. San Antonio is a really nice city :)

All great and valid points. And the Alamo is there as well :sohappy:

We have walked onto the steel Eel as well, and even stayed on for multiple rides without having to get off. It might be my favorite roller coaster anywhere , just love the long layout of it for some reason. :)

The Rattler is a beast, man that things lives up to it's name and does indeed rattle your insides :ROFLOL:

Yeah the Astroworld fiasco was indeed a mess all around. Losing that and the Houston Oilers (right across the street from each other no less) were losses for the city IMO. Both turned out to be all for nothing in the end. :brick:

David S.

All great and valid points. And the Alamo is there as well :sohappy:

We have walked onto the steel Eel as well, and even stayed on for multiple rides without having to get off. It might be my favorite roller coaster anywhere , just love the long layout of it for some reason. :)

The Rattler is a beast, man that things lives up to it's name and does indeed rattle your insides :ROFLOL:

Yeah the Astroworld fiasco was indeed a mess all around. Losing that and the Houston Oilers (right across the street from each other no less) were losses for the city IMO. Both turned out to be all for nothing in the end. :brick:

Yes, I forgot to mention the Alamo and the Riverwalk ;)

On the bright side, at least Houston has the Texans in the NFL now, and they are getting better. Getting a major regional theme park on the scale of Astroworld won't be as easy, especially in this economy, but at least Kemah Boardwalk on the southeast side of town put in a world-class wooden coaster a few years after Astroworld closed, which, if you haven't ridden it, is really fun IMO :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbepNtZlc90

Prototype82

well doesnt forbidden journey have "moving pictures"(tv screen like screens)
in there que?

They're themed as paintings though. And they're different from TVs in these ways:

Dimmed area lighting equalized with screen brightness makes them pretty convincing, (especially the 4 founders because they're located high above the guests)

Screen is actually textured to look like brushstrokes (if I'm not mistaken, maybe it's just good video editing)

They don't play football games and TV shows. The dialogue between the paintings is the heart of the ride story. They are framed to look like paintings, not TVs.

Screens with actors are actually 3D projections.

My point is to not have screens that don't tie in with the story. The have to be relevant; just like El Rio del Tiempo before it became Gran Fiesta Tour. :brick:

fngoofy

Dane Cook, stand-up, and music videos could be limited to attractions which cater mostly to young adults/teens, etc (ToT, RnRc, EE).
Why didn't you say Dane Cook in the first place. At first I was concerned that you where advocating spoiling the atmosphere, back story, and ambiance of Disney attractions with mind numbing, dissociative TV.
But now that I know its the high-brow stuff I feel much better. Maybe we can get America's Funniest Home Injury Videos as well?!? I mean sure, its a little "educational", but let's go for it.
I mean when you think about it, why spend all the money on elaborate sets, subtleties and quality craftsmanship when Dane Cook can enthrall us with his timeless witty banter. Or when we can watch cartoons in completely unrelated settings. WDW sure doesn't have its finger on the pulse does it...

Sarabell

Not to shoot down your idea, but those baseball games and music videos and such bring you back into the "real world" and take you out of the total immersion in the theme, "story", and fantasy of the Disney parks. Like, if you are in the queue for Splash Mountain or Big Thunder, or in the holding area for CBJ, what on earth would a MLB game or an MTV video have to do with the old frontier?

I agree. WDW is all about going to a ¨parallel dimension¨ far away from the real world, so I guess the only thing that would work on that matter would be M(ickey)TV

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom