Turning your resort key into a credit card?

Nightsbane

Original Poster
I had heard briefly about this and just wanted to find out if it was true.

Can you make it so all charges for food, merchandise, ect. are charged using your room key? If so I thought this sounded much better than taking my credit card around the park all day and having some added security. It will also give me a nice detailed bill to go over later.

One more question, does anyone know if there are safes in room at the Polynesian?

Thanks!

DisneyJoe

Yes, the CM at the front desk when you check in will help you leave a credit card on file so that your Key to the World card can be used for purchases - or you can set it up with online checkin.

All WDW Resort rooms have safes.

ChipAndHisMiss

We have done this the last three trips we have taken. When you check-in they offer you the ability to link a credit card to your room key for charging purposes. You also set a limit to how much can be charged to your card. Doing this lets you leave everything in the room safe, as you only need to carry your Key to the World card. It's your dining plan, room key and charge card all in one.

DisneyJoe

You also set a limit to how much can be charged to your card.

By default, value resorts set the limit at $500, moderate at $1000, and deluxe and deluxe villas at $1500. When you hit the limit mid-trip, you need to call or stop at the front desk to authorize more.

You also tell them which cards are allowed for charging; all contribute to the same limit, each cannot have separate limits - this is on a per room basis.

Fizbain32

Works great till you get to places like Wetzel's Pretzels at DTD that only takes cash and Visa/MC. NO Room charge, AMX or Disc. Go figure.

heartodisney

Works great till you get to places like Wetzel's Pretzels at DTD that only takes cash and Visa/MC. NO Room charge, AMX or Disc. Go figure.
HHHMMMM...did not know this part..guess we passed up these places due to being busy elsewhere..but we will remmber this one! Thanks!

RiversideBunny

What I do is take my room card and a $20.
Easy to carry.
Put everything on the room card but if some odd cart or place requires cash then use the money.

:)

CleveRocks

Not all shops/restaurants in Downtown Disney accept room charge. But you can count on your room charge being accepted EVERYWHERE else ... at all the Disney owned-and-operated resorts, inside all the theme parks and water parks. The only place inside the parks that you won't be able to use room charge is with a WALKING/roving vendor, such as the type that sell junk in front of or behind a parade. But even the snack/ice cream carts take room charge.

And by the way, no credit card required. You can set up the room charge with a debit card (with VISA/MC logo), cash, Disney Dollars, travelers checks, Disney gift cards.

If you do present plastic to back up the charge, they DO NOT pre-charge your card, they DO NOT place a hold on your card, and they DO NOT even check to see if you have sufficient available credit/balance. Your card is automatically charged when you meet the room charge limit, OR when it gets to be about 3 a.m. or so on your check-out day, whichever comes first.

Nightsbane

Original Poster
AWESOME! Exactly what I wanted to hear!

I don't know if we will be making it to DTD this trip, if we do I'll take a card.

So are you saying they don't even bill it all until you check out? Or is it billed every day?

Thanks again!

tigsmom

We always do this as well. It allows the kids to get snacks and such when they are not with us. They also carry about $25 cash, just in case. They also know they cannot buy anything big without checking with us first (and we use their money to pay the bill).

eroyee

Another nice thing is you can go into guest services during your trip and have them print out a copy of your charges so far so you can keep track of them. very nice........

CleveRocks

So are you saying they don't even bill it all until you check out? Or is it billed every day?

Thanks again!
Me said:
Your card is automatically charged when you meet the room charge limit, OR when it gets to be about 3 a.m. or so on your check-out day, whichever comes first.
If you never exceed the pre-set room charge limit, then your card will be charged only one time, at the end of your stay.

lazyboy97o

I do not know if the system has since been changed, but in the past I have been refused at the crepe stand (France) and funnel cake stand (USA) in World Showcase.

Nightsbane

Original Poster
I will probably just have one of us keep 25 bucks cash and take the keys then. Not really a need for more than that.

We have deluxe dining with 2 and sometimes 3 TS a day, shouldn't be too hungry walking around :lol:

Captain Hank

I do not know if the system has since been changed, but in the past I have been refused at the crepe stand (France) and funnel cake stand (USA) in World Showcase.
Yup, both of those are Operating Participants (other companies who do business on Disney property) who do not accept Room Charges. Some Operating Participants accept them, some don't.

Mikester71

My wife or myself usually just stop down at the check-in desk at Pop each night on our way back from the parks and get them to print off the charges on each room for us. We usually just give them a US travelers cheque to pay off the room charges at that time. Although sometimes we have let it go a couple of days, most of the time we pay it off right then and there. Easier to keep tabs that way, as you you can go over all your purchases and make sure you weren't charged incorrectly.

Have fun! :wave:

dznygirl64

Can you make it so all charges for food, merchandise, ect. are charged using your room key? If so I thought this sounded much better than taking my credit card around the park all day and having some added security. It will also give me a nice detailed bill to go over later.

One more question, does anyone know if there are safes in room at the Polynesian?

Thanks!
Have you never stayed on property before? Yes you have been able to charge to your room for years.And yes the Poly has huge didgital room safes in the closet.

sublimesting

Thanks!

Yes you can do that but there is a $500 limit. After you hit that you have to grant permission to the hotel front desk to allow more be charged. That way if lost it won't be used to charge more than $500.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom