'Turning Red' Coming Spring 2022

Tom Morrow

Finally watched it. I'll always be a fan of Pixar, but the last few films have felt like they needed a little more time in the oven. In Turning Red, the usual tight, snappy humor you get from Pixar just wasn't there for me. The film, instead, insisted that we laugh at the girls' dorkiness and tried to shape most of the humor out of that. The girls came off to me as caricatures of awkward teens rather than believable, but wanted the audience to emotionally invest in them as if they were characters in a drama. The show Pen15 on Hulu tackles a very similar premise (right down to being 8th graders in 2002) but does it so much more organically. I mean, it's understandable, given that that is rated TV-MA and this is for families, but ultimately it felt like a run through of teen cliches' plus a panda.

Also wasn't a fan of the big, show-y Marvel-esque "battle" at the end to what was otherwise a rather small scale story for Pixar. Pixar films have always had a big action sequence for the climax, but usually it's more original than "fight big giant thing".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I loved the movie, but…

We all know that these nominations are based on financial contributions.
We do know that? How do we know that? What's your source?

If financial contributions really mattered, Marvel would have been getting a lot more noms in the past two decades.

Those contributions didn't put a Pixar film in the mix.

Cmdr_Crimson

Where is Strange World???
giphy.gif

WizardofDestiny123

Very happy to see Turning Red getting honored with a nomination, with a preemptive congratulations for Guillermo del Toro and the animation crew behind Pinocchio for (presumably) winning. That film should be up for Best Picture, but that's Hollywood's disrespect for animation for you.

Further happy to see Puss in Boots getting nominated, easily the best DreamWorks film since How to Train Your Dragon 2 and definitely the best Shrek-related film since Shrek 2.

Here's hoping that this underwhelming turnout for Disney's other two animated films ends up being the fire under Disney Animation that they need to step up their game, hopefully starting with Wish.

Last edited:

Phroobar

It's funny you guys think films and actors win awards based on merit and not by how much studios pay for votes.

"And all that advertising costs money. To win an Oscar, studios may have to spend up to 10 million dollars."
Buckley, Cara. "Oscars 2016: The Race May Yet Heat Up." New York Times 2 Dec. 2015: C1. Web.

"Or they throw lavish parties where voters meet celebrities."
Fox, Jesse David. "A Brief History of Harvey Weinstein's Oscar Campaign Tactics." Vulture. New York Media, LLC, 29 Jan. 2014. Web.

"Freddy Fields invited me to my first Hollywood Foreign Press luncheon. He said, 'You're gonna take pictures with everybody, you're gonna hold up the magazines, take the pictures, and you're gonna win the award.... I won that year.'"
Jang, Meena. "Golden Globes: Denzel Washington Accepts Cecil B. DeMille Award." The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media, 10 Jan. 2016. Web.

"No one was taking Netflix seriously as a TV network. So we resolved to win us an Emmy. We went to the neighborhoods of Emmy voters and gave people $50 each to put up Netflix lawn signs. We sent food trucks with free lunch all around L.A. We painted this town with money, and that year we didn't just win one Emmy, we won three. So I melted the other two down and made rings. And now Netflix is a TV network."
Andreeva, Nellie. "Emmys: Netflix Uses Lawn Signs in 'House of Cards, 'Arrested Development' Campaign." Deadline. PMC, 24 Jun. 2013. Web.

BuddyThomas

Except it has no chance against Del Toro's Pinocchio and Puss n' boots. It is the weakest of the list. Even Marcel the Shell has a bigger chance. Where is Strange World???
Not one person on here ever predicted that Strange World would get an Oscar nomination, except maybe the people on here who kept saying stuff to the effect that Strange World was bound to win an Oscar because Hollywood is so messed up. Also, this is a thread about Turning Red, but you just couldn’t resist another dig.

Prince-1

It's funny you guys think films and actors win awards based on merit and not by how much studios pay for votes.

"And all that advertising costs money. To win an Oscar, studios may have to spend up to 10 million dollars."
Buckley, Cara. "Oscars 2016: The Race May Yet Heat Up." New York Times 2 Dec. 2015: C1. Web.

"Or they throw lavish parties where voters meet celebrities."
Fox, Jesse David. "A Brief History of Harvey Weinstein's Oscar Campaign Tactics." Vulture. New York Media, LLC, 29 Jan. 2014. Web.

"Freddy Fields invited me to my first Hollywood Foreign Press luncheon. He said, 'You're gonna take pictures with everybody, you're gonna hold up the magazines, take the pictures, and you're gonna win the award.... I won that year.'"
Jang, Meena. "Golden Globes: Denzel Washington Accepts Cecil B. DeMille Award." The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media, 10 Jan. 2016. Web.

"No one was taking Netflix seriously as a TV network. So we resolved to win us an Emmy. We went to the neighborhoods of Emmy voters and gave people $50 each to put up Netflix lawn signs. We sent food trucks with free lunch all around L.A. We painted this town with money, and that year we didn't just win one Emmy, we won three. So I melted the other two down and made rings. And now Netflix is a TV network."
Andreeva, Nellie. "Emmys: Netflix Uses Lawn Signs in 'House of Cards, 'Arrested Development' Campaign." Deadline. PMC, 24 Jun. 2013. Web.

Another wannabe expert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom