Turning 3 during the trip

LetsGoAgain

Original Poster
I am looking ahead to Dec 2009 and was wondering about ticket prices. My DD will turn three on 12/1 and I am thinking of booking a trip 11/28 - 12-5. Would we just need to purchase a 5 day ticket on the day of her birthday? What if we bought AP passes when we go in May 2009? Still buy her ticket the day of her b-day?

TIA!

Jessie&Buzz

As far as I know you won't need to buy her a ticket if she turns 3 while there. I can't help you on the AP since I don't have one.

happymom52003

I'm pretty sure they go by the age the child is on your check in date, so she would not need a ticket for that entire vacation if you are checking in before she turns three, even though she is turning three during your stay. Even if you buy the rest of your family annual passes, as long as your child is still two on the first day of your vacation she should not need a ticket for your stay.

SAV

It's not like they would have any "proof" that your child is over 3 at the gates the day of or the days after they turn 3. Don't sweat it.

Mine was over 3 when we went and it was never even questioned.

LetsGoAgain

Original Poster
Well, I have a feeling that DD will be loud and proud about being three. :lol: Plus, I wouldn't want feeling all nervous about being caught.

If we start our trip before she turns three that makes sense that we wouldn't have to pay though. Does that hold true if we stay off site as well I wonder?

SAV

LOL...don't be nervous about it. We were off-site too. They won't even give you a second look.

figmentmom

Well, I have a feeling that DD will be loud and proud about being three. :lol: Plus, I wouldn't want feeling all nervous about being caught.

If we start our trip before she turns three that makes sense that we wouldn't have to pay though. Does that hold true if we stay off site as well I wonder?

Kudos for you for being honest. I'm not a fan of lying, either, and I think it sends the wrong message to the child.

That said, however, your little one will still officially be TWO when your trip begins, so I really doubt that you will need a ticket for her, whether you stay on or off-property. If you are really unsure, you could always ask at the gate, but I still think they'd let you in. :wave:

SAV

Luckily, we didn't "lie" about anything. We weren't asked how old he was, so we didn't have to say anything.

And technically, the age 3 and up is considered a child and requires an entry fee to be paid. It doesn't say anything about age 3 when your trip starts. It says age 3 - 10 is considered a child. So the day they turn 3, if you want to send the "right" message to the child, they need to have a ticket.

So if you really are going to be honest, then you should probably buy a pass for the # of days that he will be 3.

happymom52003

And technically, the age 3 and up is considered a child and requires an entry fee to be paid. It doesn't say anything about age 3 when your trip starts. It says age 3 - 10 is considered a child. So the day they turn 3, if you want to send the "right" message to the child, they need to have a ticket.

I'm not so sure about this. I'm almost certain they go by the age the child is when you begin your trip. The same holds true for kids who turn 10 during the trip. If you buy your nine year old a 7 day park hopper and they turn 10 on day four of your trip, they do not adjust the price to an adult priced ticket.....you still pay the child price for the 7 day ticket.

Also, if you buy your nine year old an annual pass, they can still use that pass until it expires, even though they will turn 10 at some point during the year. Same principle.

With the way they have their multi-day ticket pricing set up, it would be too complicated for them to do it any other way. Going by the age the child is on the first day of the trip keeps things simple.

figmentmom

I guess, then, that it just boils down to how you feel about buying the ticket. Are you going to feel dishonest if your little one blurts out at the gate that today's her 3rd birthday? It's a tough call. At age three, I doubt she's going to realize that you're technically supposed to purchase admission for three-year-olds, but are you traveling with any older kids who WILL know? Are you worried about being embarrassed at the gate? Do you feel it's disingenuous NOT to buy her a ticket?

I think it's really up to you.

JPVonDrake

To confirm...

Officially, if your little one is 2 years of age upon arrival, you will not need to purchase her a ticket for this vacation and she will be welcome to each off any adult's plate for free at any of our restuarants. Similarly, if you bring a child who is 9 years of age upon arrival, they will not need to upgrade to an Adult (age 10+) ticket or dine plan if they celebrate a birthday while here.

The best way to think of it is this:

You are always welcome to celebrate your Birthday or even your Un-Birthday with Disney, but no one truly every ages when they are at the place where magic begins!

figmentmom

Officially, if your little one is 2 years of age upon arrival, you will not need to purchase her a ticket for this vacation and she will be welcome to each off any adult's plate for free at any of our restuarants. Similarly, if you bring a child who is 9 years of age upon arrival, they will not need to upgrade to an Adult (age 10+) ticket or dine plan if they celebrate a birthday while here.

You are always welcome to celebrate your Birthday or even your Un-Birthday with Disney, but no one truly every ages when they are at the place where magic begins!

And there you have it. :)

great post, JP.

thanks!

I agree! :D

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

You are always welcome to celebrate your Birthday or even your Un-Birthday with Disney, but no one truly every ages when they are at the place where magic begins![/QUOTE]

To the rescue again :sohappy:

LetsGoAgain

Original Poster

Well, thank you very much. It looks like our Dec 2008 trip is falling through so I really want to make the 2009 trip happen. Bonus that we won't have to pay for Anna! We will have to go all out then on BBB, a cake, etc. Thanks again!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Well, thank you very much. It looks like our Dec 2008 trip is falling through so I really want to make the 2009 trip happen. Bonus that we won't have to pay for Anna! We will have to go all out then on BBB, a cake, etc. Thanks again!

Be sure and get her button first thing....and mention the trip is for her birthday at check-in

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom