Pre-Trip Turn the Page

This trip is the beginning of a new chapter for my wife and I. Her mother recently passed away after battling cancer for 2 years. She was an amazing woman and we were all very close. Most people loathe their in laws, but i was blessed to have a wonderful relationship with my mother in law. Its been less than 2 weeks since she passed and we both are learning to cope with the idea of her mother not being a part of all the the things we did together as a family, and trips to WDW was a major part of that. This trip will be us turning the page to begin the next part of our life story.

We didnt always travel together, but we shared in the enjoyment together. My wife and her took as many trips as they could over the last two years and made many wonderful memories. Her mom and I would always send each other pictures (of whichever one of us was down there), having a beer at 11 am in Pandora or munching on some nudel gratin in Germany Pavilion and so many other traditions we had which overwhelms me emotionally when I begin to think that it wont be happening on this trip. Even typing that out is difficult while trying to hold back the tears.

This trip was scheduled to be their next vacation, but as her condition rapidly declined over the last few weeks, we knew it wouldnt happen. Her mother told us she wanted us to take this trip and celebrate her life instead of canceling it and mourning her. The thought of taking a trip to WDW without her being there or sharing in the fun when we send pictures and call her each day to talk about what we did seemed too difficult for us to handle this quickly, but her mom insisted we go and celebrate and continue our traditions. Each day gets a little easier and perhaps a visit to our second home is exactly the therapy we need right now. This PTR is the beginning of that therapy for me as well.

CandG.jpg

259175783_283708020_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

257847132_282102122_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

257691028_281851276_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

And here I am...on the TR forums again. There I am, up on the stage. Here I go, with her mom in my heart. There I go....turn the page.

We will be staying at BWV in a studio room, pool view, for 7 days. As you already know, it will be my wife and I on this trip.

20151017_205100.jpg

For anybody who has not read any of my past trip reports, be warned, there will be lots of booze pics! Our trips mostly center around eating and drinking with the occasional attraction thrown in. Considering that Food and Wine will be happening, there will definitely be some new things to try. We will be up to our usual antics of mocking my older sister by taking random pictures in front of places that in no way whatsoever show that we are at WDW, which my sister still does to this day. Here is an example from a previous trip.

20151016_170504.jpg

And Im sure I will have some business calls to tend to while we are riding attractions.

438877939_855955029_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg

We have plenty of jokes and traditions that we share with my family as well so it will be great to continue that while celebrating my mother in laws life.

Chef Art Smiths Homecomin' was a favorite of hers and weve already made an ADR there for lunch. More updates to come as we get to planning. I would also like to thank the many wonderful forum members here (you know who you are) who have been so supportive over the last few years in regards to what we have gone through. This place has been my outlet to share some emotional struggles and all the kind words, thoughts and prayers from everybody has helped out more than you know. God Bless you all!!!

Thanks for following along!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
My heart truly goes out to you and your wife, and I truly believe that this will be a healing trip. WDW has given me several emotional moments as I've remembered family members no longer with me, who enjoyed it as well. Enjoy your old traditions, and maybe even start a new one that represents this new chapter in your life, as well. Best wishes for a trip that brings you peace, love, pleasure, and good memories!

Gurt

I am so sorry for you and C on the passing of her mother, as someone that loved WDW as much as you and C she I am sure she will be happy you are continuing to make memories in her honor on your celebration of her life trip, may the dragonflies dance with you all the way.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I have been putting off reading this because I knew it would make me too emotional. I also adored my mother in law and watching her succumb to cancer was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.
Your opening post could have been written by me, except the part about beers at 11:00, mine would say beers at 10:00. 😉
Enjoy yourselves. Bask in the good memories.

gdisneyfans

Each day gets a little easier and perhaps a visit to our second home is exactly the therapy we need right now.
I'm so sorry to hear of C's mom's passing. From your previous reports, you could tell how much they loved and meant to each other (and you too).

Back in 2003, we had a girl's trip planned with my mom - she too had cancer and was declining but we thought we could get one more trip to Disney with her before she passed. She passed in July and the trip was planned for September. We were going to cancel, but my dad insisted on all of us going as he knew (and I guess we all knew too) that she would want us to continue on with the trip. That trip was very therapeutic! After months of sadness from her passing, we were able to go and enjoy and laugh and smile. Of course there were tears too. We just lost my dad in December, so we're going through this all over again. It does get a little easier each day. I just wish I had a trip coming up to have that therapy! Might have to remedy that:joyfull:

But you know C's mom will be with you both while you're there:)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
*update

C and I were at lunch the other day and discussing trip plans. We were actually toying around with the idea of getting the dining plan. we both feel it's outrageous in price compared to years ago but we will definitely be eating at more restaurants this trip so we thought it would be an economical choice.

Then the idea of a tables in wonderland card came up and we both agreed that would be a better decision especially considering you get a discount on alcohol. after doing some research I learned that you still get the discount even if you only order drinks at sit down bars and restaurants. That definitely closed the deal for us LOL.

C is still living at her mom's house to take care of her animals and also because I think being there gives her some emotional support and has her mom's presence in the sense of her personal things, photos, etc. Since C is no longer being a care taker 24/7 it has allowed us to meet up and spend more time together. we meet up several days a week to spend the entire day together or sometimes just have lunch. it's also allowed her to spend more time with her friends and family members that have been coming in town to visit. She's worked so hard and for so long giving up her life to take care of her mom that I'm glad she's finally getting back to somewhat of a normal life. It's also been fun for us because we will have one or two hour long conversations at night and after we hang up we still text each other. We joke that it's like we are dating again LOL. Here's a screenshot of a text I sent her the other night,

IMG_20190918_095513_934.jpg

we haven't been to yachtsman in years so we're definitely excited for it.

We also have a trip booked for December so the tables in wonderland card will definitely be getting some use over the next few months! C pulled up some YouTube videos for F&W yesterday and then a few for SWGE. After watching them she told me it's definitely got her excited for the trip. She's been very conflicted emotionally about this upcoming trip and yesterday was the first time that I saw that look in her eye and the smile she makes when she's genuinely excited. It definitely made my day.

Sorry for the wall of text and only one picture LOL. thanks for following and more updates to come soon.

riverside

Then the idea of a tables in wonderland card came up and we both agreed that would be a better decision especially considering you get a discount on alcohol. after doing some research I learned that you still get the discount even if you only order drinks at sit down bars and restaurants. That definitely closed the deal for us LOL.
I was talking to my sister just this morning about TIW & how I was thinking of getting it. She thought it would be well worth it & offered to pay half for it since she would be reaping the benefits too!! I know it can only be in one persons name but it really doesn't matter b/c we always go to Disney together. With only paying $75 for it I'm sure I'll definitely get my monies worth out of it!!

Glad to hear how C's doing!!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I was talking to my sister just this morning about TIW & how I was thinking of getting it. She thought it would be well worth it & offered to pay half for it since she would be reaping the benefits too!! I know it can only be in one persons name but it really doesn't matter b/c we always go to Disney together. With only paying $75 for it I'm sure I'll definitely get my monies worth out of it!!

Glad to hear how C's doing!!
A friend of mine just returned from an 8 day trip and he did the math on the savings from their TiW and it was appx $90. Seems like a great idea of you're gonna be doing TS and drinks. Plus, free valet parking for dining at other resorts.

lostpro9het

A friend of mine just returned from an 8 day trip and he did the math on the savings from their TiW and it was appx $90. Seems like a great idea of you're gonna be doing TS and drinks. Plus, free valet parking for dining at other resorts.
I want to say that the last time I checked the break even point was spending $750 in 13 months on food and beverage at participating locations. So if you regularly tip 18% or more food and spend more than $750 in 13 months then it pays for itself, and then some when you factor in things like valet. There are a few QS locations that take TiW too.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
I want to say that the last time I checked the break even point was spending $750 in 13 months on food and beverage at participating locations. So if you regularly tip 18% or more food and spend more than $750 in 13 months then it pays for itself, and then some when you factor in things like valet. There are a few QS locations that take TiW too.
I spend an average of $200+ at Crews Cup, Tune In Lounge and Big River combined on our average trip. Thats not factoring in TS meals with C, so we should be able to hit $750. Good to know a few QS take it as well. I gotta look that up. Thanks for the tip!

riverside

On our week long trips we do a TS meal everyday. With us I don't think it will take long to spend $750 & 20% is the norm for tipping. I noticed that The River Roost(at POR) is on there also & we have been known to have a few beverages in the evenings so I see the savings adding up already!! :hilarious:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Practicing for Food & Wine. And you get a Scofflaw Brewing Co. hat with the purchase of one of their beers. I went with the flight. Sorry, Sean, no 800 calorie porters in the selection, (I joke). Fat guy in a little coat is trying to slim down a bit before the trip.

IMG_20190919_173731.jpg

IMG_20190919_174212.jpg

...and you know that notion... just crossed my mind.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
You rang?
View attachment 412195

Another 8 miles at 05:00 this morning says I can have all the stouts again this weekend! Now im just deciding on if I visit Cherry Street or Tantrum. You and your bride need to meet us up at Cherry Street some time, plenty of lite beers for you there.
Lite beers, ....f you and your high metabolism!!!! Hahahaha (love you bro)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
On a separate note, and this should actually be In a separate PTR, but we were able to book another 3 days for our December trip! We now have 10 days at BWV for December. 3 days in a studio, pool view, then switching to a 1 BR Villa, Boardwalk View for 7 days. We've never had a Boardwalk View before and we're super excited.

We stayed in a 1 BR Villa at GF last December and really enjoyed the extra space which is why we wanted the same for this next Dec trip.

bee

First, I'm so glad you and C get to take this special trip to celebrate her mom's life and move toward healing.

Second, welcome to Club Tables! If you eat a lot of TS meals and drink at a lot of resort lounges it's likely to save you quite a bit over a year. The QS locations that accept it are mostly food courts at resorts that don't have their own TS restaurant (values and French Quarter) and a few random park locations. The official list is here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/restaurants/tables-in-wonderland-restaurants/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom