Turkey leg

cherrynegra

Re: Pretty in Pink

Originally posted by Timekeeper
Question:

Why is the meat in the turkey legs so pink?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but it could be because they're soaked in a brine to keep the turkey legs moist during cooking.

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE turkey legs. Delicious!! Definitely helped in the Atkins dept.

M. Racer

Yeh, you can only get them from the carts. Then walk around with a "turkey leg eatin' smile" and let the juice run down your elbow and drip onto the ground, your shoes, pants, or the heads of toddlers.:slurp:

Kwit35

recipe

Does anyone have the recipe for the turkey legs? If they are going to stop selling them, I need a place to get my "fix".

TURKEY

Re: recipe

Originally posted by Kwit35
Does anyone have the recipe for the turkey legs? If they are going to stop selling them, I need a place to get my "fix".

I don't think there are any plans to stop selling them. They are quite popular and aren't too unhealthy.

Scooter

Re: Pretty in Pink

Originally posted by Timekeeper
Question:

Why is the meat in the turkey legs so pink?

Is this because it's undercooked or cooked to "rare/medium rare" standards?

Or is this artificial coloring caused by the leg being basted by sauces?

I ask because the appearance of guests chewing on sticks of raw-looking meat has never appealed to me.

Timekeeper

The meat on a turkey leg seems raw and pink because they are SMOKED rather than baked or fried.

The Smoking process involves cooking the turkey legs at a low temperature for a long period of time. With this process the turkey legs don't get that blackened, brown or gray coloring
that naturally occurs when meat is cooked at higher temperatures.

I smoke my own Meats at home. I Love the smoked flavor but I seldom smoke turkey legs because of the hassle it is to eat them with all the gristle and tendons all over them.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom