Trying to get my priorities straight

mishel635

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I didn't think of it as a reason to go back again sooner. We were going to wait another 3 years or so before we go back again, but I think we will have to move that up a bit so we can all experience Splash Mountain!!!! I feel better already!!!! :)

copcarguyp71

The positive is that regular maintenance improves the chances of the attraction not being a complete mess the next time. I'd rather not ride than waste time on a ride that is falling apart.

Gotta say I do not agree that Splash is falling apart... In fact it looks awesome right now after the refurb. Maintenance needs to get done sometime to keep it that way so periodic shutdowns occur. Although the dancing fountains in the laughing place were hit or miss on our last trip I think saying it is falling apart might be a stretch....IMO.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Gotta say I do not agree that Splash is not falling apart... In fact it looks awesome right now after the refurb. Maintenance needs to get done sometime to keep it that way so periodic shutdowns occur. Although the dancing fountains in the laughing place were hit or miss on our last trip I think saying it is falling apart might be a stretch....IMO.
My point was not that the attraction right now is falling apart, but that without regular closures it would be in such a state.

Disney Shib

I know it's ridiculous, and I am normally annoyingly optimistic, but ever since I found out that my favorite ride of all time is going to be closed during our trip in February, I have kind of lost my excitement for this trip. Splash Mountain was literally going to be the first ride I was going to take my kids on when we got to Magic Kingdom.
I know it's ridiculous, and I know we will still have an amazing time, and we are lucky to even be able to go to Disney World, but I'm super bummed and can't seem to shake it!!! :(

I was super bummed too. I'm going in January. However, I just keep trying to tell myself this is a great way to build a new appreciation for other attractions and hopefully find another favorite. :)

IWantMyMagicBand

I know it's ridiculous, and I am normally annoyingly optimistic, but ever since I found out that my favorite ride of all time is going to be closed during our trip in February, I have kind of lost my excitement for this trip. Splash Mountain was literally going to be the first ride I was going to take my kids on when we got to Magic Kingdom.
I know it's ridiculous, and I know we will still have an amazing time, and we are lucky to even be able to go to Disney World, but I'm super bummed and can't seem to shake it!!! :(
I can imagine how you feel. Our height chart is based on rides. Once we hit the magic 4-0 we are good to go. Ask my kids how big they are and they would have said "Thunder Mountain high". It's like a rite of passage for us. Our whole trip last year was geared toward that exact ride and we got there two days before it was refurbed.
And I would be super bummed if IASW was out of action.
I don't have any value to add but just wanted to let you know you're not alone in planning a holiday around one ride.

Weather_Lady

We've had that happen, too, and I did feel bummed beforehand -- but then I got there and was so engrossed in doing everything else that I quickly forgot about the few things I couldn't do. Chin up -- as you said, you're still going to have a great time! And there will be something "new" for your kids, for the trip after that (God knows they won't build anything new in the interim, so you'll just have to enjoy what's been "fixed" between trips as if it was something new.) ;)

kfergdisney

I'm even bummed about It's A Small World being closed when we go to WDW in Nov/Dec. I'm one of those people who LOVE It's A Small World... But, I've learned to not let it get to me. The last time I went to WDW is when Space Mountain was closed for almost the whole year. There are plenty of other things to do!!!

ratherbeinwdw

I was looking for an expected time for this ride but could not find anything. When is it rumored to open?
If you're talking about Splash, I believe it's March 21st. All you have to do is go to the top of this page, click on info, click on refurbs and go down the page to see all the closings and opening dates.

Sparkle81

I was gutted when they announced that IASW was basically going to be closed for the exact length of our trip. It's going to be my DS first ever trip to WDW, and wanted IASW to be his first ever ride :( I'm really disappointed, but going for Peter Pan's Flight instead, and will try not to miss what I can't have!

mweier

i'm bummed too since it was closed last March when we were there and will also be closed next Feb when we're there. My kids have never had a chance to ride it yet! I guess any future trips will have to avoid the cursed nearly-full-winter SM refurb season.

JillC LI

When we were there in 2009, Space Mtn was closed for refurb. DS was super-bummed about that before we arrived, but once we got there, it occupied about 2 minutes of his thoughts on the entire trip - just those first few moments upon arriving at MK. But then we filled the rest of the day with so much fun stuff that he forgot about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom