True Speed of Test Track?

s8film40

Just curious - where were you standing when you "saw" the cars barely moving and "saw" the sign at the same time? On the roof?

The display is not running the same graphics every time.

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the speed reading but it's definitely not reading 65mph every time.
I can say I've seen it run the 65MPH graphic while the cars were stopped/moving slowly also.

mcrgw29

Just curious - where were you standing when you "saw" the cars barely moving and "saw" the sign at the same time? On the roof?

The display is not running the same graphics every time.

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the speed reading but it's definitely not reading 65mph every time.

I was backstage on my way to work. You're right that it doesn't give the same speed each time, but the sign doesn't always depend on car speed.

s8film40

I was backstage on my way to work. You're right that it doesn't give the same speed each time, but the sign doesn't always depend on car speed.
This is where I saw it also, walking from that cafeteria over by Mexico. I've surprisingly never managed to get stuck on the ride when it would break down, but I've walked by countless times during a breakdown.

mcrgw29

This is where I saw it also, walking from that cafeteria over by Mexico. I've surprisingly never managed to get stuck on the ride when it would break down, but I've walked by countless times during a breakdown.

Same; I've never been stuck on it, but I've seen it 101 countless times.

Does it even matter? You're sitting in a ride car and hauling . 5mph +-, if you can even judge that, good for you. Just enjoy it for the ride that it is. Meanwhile, where are our petitions to bring WOM back????

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Does it even matter? You're sitting in a ride car and hauling ***. 5mph +-, if you can even judge that, good for you. Just enjoy it for the ride that it is. Meanwhile, where are our petitions to bring WOM back????
WoM is never coming back. GM hated it by the end of its run and Test Track is too popular to close.

MarkTwain

Is it true that the Test Track cars are capped at 65 mph due to actual Florida speed limits for automobiles? I thought I remember reading that somewhere, but it seems far-fetched.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Is it true that the Test Track cars are capped at 65 mph due to actual Florida speed limits for automobiles? I thought I remember reading that somewhere, but it seems far-fetched.
65 is the federal speed limit. Though it's commonly broken in desolate areas of the country.

mcrgw29

I remember reading before that Disney/GM (someone anyway) wanted it faster (~85 maybe?) but the banking is what stopped them. They would have had to bank the track too much for safe evacs.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
PR wise it's 65 for the speed limit when the original TT opened.

Technically it's 65 to avoid banking the turns more to handle a higher speed. Higher banks were considered too uncomfortable a position to be held in if the ride stops.

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
It's almost like there was a second part of my sentence where I said some states commonly go higher than 65.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom