Trouble seeing 3D Movie Attractions

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Ok, as a kid I could always see 3D movies fine(Jaws 3..terrible by the way) but when I see these 3D movie attractions like Tough to Be a Bug, and Spiderman over at Universal, I have trouble seeing the 3D. Some I see but not all of it. It bums me out. Anyone else have this problem?

Woozle

I think I have the same problem. I feel bummed when the audience jumps back because something is coming at them. I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm not focusing correctly? They use to amaze me as a kid. Today, the only 3D image I see perfectly is Ariel when she stretches her hands out in Philharmagic. Everything else is so-so.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Woozle, are you color blind at all? I have suspected it might be caused by that in some way, and that these new movies use colors somehow more to make the action "pop" out more.

I am with some reds/greens...blues/purples...
And let me clarify to those who don't know, being color blind does not mean you don't see colors, you just might not be able to differeniate certain colors from others as easily...you would be suprised how many people ask if I can only see in black and white!

HS0411

I know my entire family except me has problems with the 3D shows. They all wear glasses, so they think that has something to do with it...

khelinski

Biggest flaw for me is none of them (with an exception of Shrek) is digital - it's still in the standard 35 mm (I could be wrong - T2 or Muppets, since it is on a bigger screen, could be IMAX, which is a slightly different projector to 35).

But I've actually been behind the scenes of Bugs Life, and it is in fact 35 mm. That's why it strains the eyes...

iKat

I have trouble seeing them from any point but straight on (like, if we're sitting to the right or left at all, it's harder for me to see). PhilharMagic is actually the only 3-D I've ever had an easy time seeing most of. Mostly I just see 2 images that don't quite blend. Last time I went to the eye doc he told me my eyes aren't working well together, so I guess that's why I can't easily see them.

My dad's never been able to see 3-D. He fell onto his head from his crib as a baby, and had vision problems which has turned into a lazy eye. Though my cousin's daughter has eye trouble too, so I'm starting to think it's more of a genetic thing...

But yeah, you're definitely not alone...

Laura

Premium Member
Just a thought, but have you tried tilting your head at different angles? I've noticed if my head is even slightly tilted the image is really distorted.

JimboJones123

We were at Sea World a few weeks ago and the new Elmo 4D show was AWESOME! We later went to Disneyland and I had a rough tim with ALL their shows. Shrek was a little better at Universal, but Elmo was PERFECT for viewing the 3D throughout the show. Toy Story Mania was PERFECT as well. So I don't know if the attractions just haven't kept up with the 3D or what, but the newer 3D are MUCH better.

khelinski

We were at Sea World a few weeks ago and the new Elmo 4D show was AWESOME! We later went to Disneyland and I had a rough tim with ALL their shows. Shrek was a little better at Universal, but Elmo was PERFECT for viewing the 3D throughout the show. Toy Story Mania was PERFECT as well. So I don't know if the attractions just haven't kept up with the 3D or what, but the newer 3D are MUCH better.

Digital versus 35, my friend. It's weird that Disney parks hasn't converted yet to all digital. I mean, they are famous for REAL D. Why not presenting that in their own parks?!?!

That's why I have a problem with that overrated attraction called Soarin'. The print is in a horrid 35 (Imax, maybe?!?) Still - it's HORRID!

I think it's cheaper to have the new attractions with the new digital projectors, than to covert all their old attractions. I mean, if this wasn't the case, everything would be digital by now.

DisneySaint

Soarin' actually uses a High Definition IMAX (the problem is it spreads out so far and doesn't look so high-def; not to mention the dust particles that build up quickly on it).

KDAC

Since you can no longer see any 3D movies, you might want to see an Opthamologist. You might suffer from Strabismus. I got vertical strabismus as an adult, even though that is not common. I used to be able to see 3D movies, and then could not.

Phonedave

Ok, as a kid I could always see 3D movies fine(Jaws 3..terrible by the way) but when I see these 3D movie attractions like Tough to Be a Bug, and Spiderman over at Universal, I have trouble seeing the 3D. Some I see but not all of it. It bums me out. Anyone else have this problem?

I think it may be because of glasses. I can see (and function) without glasses, but I see a lot better with them.

I notice that when I watch 3D without glasses, they are 3D but slightly blurry (much as a normal movie without glasses would be blurry for me)

When I wear glasses, the 3D movies are sharp, but the 3D parts dont quite line up right.

Maybe its because I have a markedly different perscription in each eye.

My left eye is a LOT stronger than my right. (and I am right handed, which makes shooting handguns a treat, but thats a different story)

-dave

olmec26

I think it may be because of glasses. I can see (and function) without glasses, but I see a lot better with them.

I notice that when I watch 3D without glasses, they are 3D but slightly blurry (much as a normal movie without glasses would be blurry for me)

When I wear glasses, the 3D movies are sharp, but the 3D parts dont quite line up right.

Maybe its because I have a markedly different perscription in each eye.

My left eye is a LOT stronger than my right. (and I am right handed, which makes shooting handguns a treat, but thats a different story)

-dave

You know, I was going to reply, but it would have been an exact repitition of what you said!

I do think that the glasses has something to do with it.

mraw

I get double vision when watching those 3D movies. When I close one eye, it shows just fine. I always wondered why that happens to me...

dolbyman

there are new projection methods that enable head tilting and headache free watching ... but the license costs are quite high (for all german readers there was an article about it in 08/7 C'T)

Mr D Duck

hey, optometry student here thought I could shed some light on this for you.
The main cause preventing people seeing 3D is, as another poster said, strabismus (aka squint or lazy eye) which can be horizontal or vertical. The 3D effects work because the 3Dglasses ensure your right eye sees one set of images while your left eye sees a slightly different set of images (i.e.polarised lenses.) When these images are fused together by your visual cortex they are seen in depth or 3D.

If you suffer from strabismus, one eye will fixate the image and the visual cortex draws all its input from this eye, effectively disregarding information from the other eye so fusion of the images does not happen and the brain cannot detect the 3D or depth- you just see two blurry images almost on top of each other on the screen which can be confused by some as double vision.

Additionally, people who suffer from amblyopia (one eye significantly weaker than the other) the same effect can occur.

My advice, have an eye test to check your oculomotor balance, your optometrist (or opthalmologist in the US) may prescribe you a different refractive correction, some prism to correct the deviation or even just simple ocular exercises to build up the strength of your eye muscles to allow them to correct the deviation themselves.

Most importantly, make sure you tell the ophthamologist the symptoms you've been having (not seeing 3D films properly)

Finally, wearing your glasses can improve the 3D effects for spectacle wearers as they ensure your eyes are converging (turning in) or diverging (turning out) by the appropriate and crucially, equal amounts.
Hope thats some help.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Very helpful! Yes I do wear glasses, but almost always wear contacts instead (in fact I can't find my glasses!)

It's nice to know that I am not alone in this, ah well my wife see's the movies just fine.

JustPlainBill

I can usually see the 3D effect in most 3D films, but on occaision it will go in and out. I originally thought it was due to my red/green color-blindness, but it was just a guess. I thought that because my wife and kids are not color blind and have no trouble seeing the 3D when I can't.

rainfully

There are cetain 3D effects I can see and some I can't. I think it also takes some time for my eyes to adjust.

For example, in Philharmagic, the flute I just see as double. I have never felt like it was coming towards me. But by the time I get to Ariel and her "thingamabobs" they are absolutely 3D.

I also seem to have trouble with 3D effects that are supposed to be "very close" Like Flounder... when he first swims up and says "cool" I see him double. But as he swims away, he gets 3D. Same with Tinkerbell.

Mia319

I have the same problem... i can't see 3D very well, if at all sometimes. I blame it on my Lazy Eye. i think since it wanders, both eyes aren't focusing the way they need to for the 3D effect to work.

it does bum me out as well, but i like to atleast enjoy the wonderful apple pie smell in Phillarmagic! mmmmm... apple pie! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom