Trouble in paradise officially?

jt04

Now, that one I don’t know. I’ll add to my queue.

These 2 films make perfect bookends. They are opposite sides of the same coin. Salt and pepper. Oil/vinegar. You get the idea.

One is a dark satire and one a chilling drama.

What I like is they depict any extreme as inevitability totalitarian.

The Lives of Others shows cancel culture is nothing new. And no less sinister in any generation. IMO.

Okay, not that this relates directly to the OP, so back to that.

jt04

Hmmmm, that’s debatable.

It’s a “Gateway” resort, just outside WDW property. And all 3rd party owned and operated. Much like the Disney Springs resorts. If they want onsite perks they’ll have to pay for the privilege.

Personally I consider onsite to be the WDW owned and operated resorts plus Shades of Green and the Swolphin.

Hmm, I thought at least some of it was Disney owned and leased to third parties. A more commercialized version of Disney Springs. I welcome further clarification.

ICanFly

Oh yes of course, everyone posting in this thread is perfect financially and has never had a cent of debt in their life! *wink wink*. This place never fails to amuse, almost as bad as the disboards.

I won’t even go into the white privilege of the conversation...
What thread are you reading here? Life is about decisions and consequences. That has been the gist of this thread. People who have learned from their experiences are sharing their wisdom. And I choose not to respond to your racist comment.

BaconPancakes

What thread are you reading here? Life is about decisions and consequences. That has been the gist of this thread. People who have learned from their experiences are sharing their wisdom. And I choose not to respond to your racist comment.
1623205207716.gif

And what banned troll are you? Just joined with two posts. Try to be more discreet next time.

ICanFly

We've all scrimped and saved to go to Disney. Earlier on the DW and I had AP's, went twice a year, and for the cost, was worth it. Now with price increases, and nickel and dime charges here and there, I am getting real close to my "not worth it price point". Attendance will always go up because of people doing either a right of passage for the kids, or scratching it off their bucket list. Sooner or later the cost of it won't be justified as a "Reasonable Family Trip".
We are at that point. Went to the mountains (Colorado, not Splash and Space) last summer for a third the cost and had more fun and relaxing family time. That said, we’re going to WDW for a week next month because my daughter misses it! 🙄🤣

Gringrinngghost

Adjusting for inflation, $59.75 is $73.43 in 2016 dollars. 69% increase.
That still doesn't show them in a good light.

Here's a better example from Universal for you. When The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter first opened in 2010, regular Butterbeer was only $2.99 and the frozen variety was $3.99. In 2017 all butterbeer became $6.99 across the board.

bryanfze55

I have a trip to San Diego/Disneyland/Joshua Tree planned for this fall and a trip to San Francisco/Monterey/Yosemite planned for next summer. On paper, it appears they will cost about the same. All worthwhile entertainment is expensive now. It’s even more of a shame than being priced out of Disney, but lodging inside a national park is out of reach for a lot of families. I’ve made it work, neither through “caution to the wind” financing of travel nor via being a Dave Ramsey fanatic, but by simply not inflating my fixed costs as my salary increased.

But alas, Disney is in a unique position in that they can produce pure crap today but rely exclusively on their legacy attractions to still be deemed “worthwhile entertainment.” My days of Disney only trips are probably over, but there’s still a strong pull to make it part of the trip.

Lilofan

Perhaps people have “extra” money because they understand how to manage money well… just a thought
It is regarding those pesky facts that some may never achieve because of lack of thinking out of the box. Work the plan, plan the work. Extra money - make your money work harder than you do ( ie stock market ). It is not rocket science.

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

It is regarding those pesky facts that some may never achieve because of lack of thinking out of the box. Work the plan, plan the work. Extra money - make your money work harder than you do ( ie stock market ). It is not rocket science.
You know. I was saying something once about having a hard time saving my money. Immediately I got all these "useful" suggestions: cut your cable [don't have it]. Change cellphone plans [$29.99 cellphone on the $25 every three months plan]. Drink/eat less. [Don't drink booze and my food budget was $25 a week]. Get the cheapest internet. [It's called only using it at work.] What should I have given up? Electricity? My apartment? Water? Sometimes that money isn't there.

You want people to save? Give them a living wage. But people will vote against it because poor people are meant to be poor. Serves them right.

Lilofan

You know. I was saying something once about having a hard time saving my money. Immediately I got all these "useful" suggestions: cut your cable [don't have it]. Change cellphone plans [$29.99 cellphone on the $25 every three months plan]. Drink/eat less. [Don't drink booze and my food budget was $25 a week]. Get the cheapest internet. [It's called only using it at work.] What should I have given up? Electricity? My apartment? Water? Sometimes that money isn't there.

You want people to save? Give them a living wage. But people will vote against it because poor people are meant to be poor. Serves them right.
Living wage is good however one can bet that when payroll goes up for a small business owner for example, they will pass it on to the consumer in terms of higher pricing and or higher labor costs will have an employer look at options for the company do certain jobs ( ie outsourcing ).

Last edited:

unmitigated disaster

Living wage is good however one can bet that when payroll goes up for a small business owner for example, they will pass it on to the consumer in terms of higher pricing and or higher labor costs will have an employer look at options for the company do certain jobs ( ie outsourcing ).
Keeping people at below poverty level doesn't sell much merchandise either.

John park hopper

In a free society it is the individuals responsibility to get themselves out of poverty by getting an eduction, getting a marketable skill, not having kids you can't afford etc. No one is keeping anyone below the poverty level. Taking money from one group and giving it to another or artificially rising salaries is not the answer. Since the inception of the "Great Society" under Johnson we have spent trillions of dollars on poverty and have not reduced poverty by one iota.

Lilofan

In a free society it is the individuals responsibility to get themselves out of poverty by getting an eduction, getting a marketable skill, not having kids you can't afford etc. No one is keeping anyone below the poverty level. Taking money from one group and giving it to another or artificially rising salaries is not the answer. Since the inception of the "Great Society" under Johnson we have spent trillions of dollars on poverty and have not reduced poverty by one iota.
I knew a friend to escape poverty joined the military at 18. At age 38 he retired , collecting a military pension, covered under VA medical/dental for life and he worked 20 more years in a company. At age 58 he retired again and collecting a pension from that company also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom