Tropical Storm Faye...

The Mom

Premium Member
My son is again doing his happy dance, as schools will be closed tomorrow. (Friday) Now the worst of the weather is not expected to hit until this evening, and continue through the night.

It has been raining off and on, and is starting to gust outside. I stocked up on chocolate last night, we've got lots of snacks and booze, and I ran the generator/changed the oil on Tuesday, so I'm all set. ;)

prberk

Anyone have any pics or video of the storm around the Disney area?

(Or anywhere else for that matter.)

And did they close any parks this week for it?

prberk

One more question: Did WDW take in any refugees from the rest of the state this time around? They have in the past, and it looks like another situation where Disney was safe and other places were devastated (this time with flooding).

Just wondered.

Paul

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Typhoon Lagoon is closed today. I believe this is the first closure other than the cancellation of the Poly Luau on the first day.

MiRi

I'm driving up from Miami tomorrow and will be arriving in the afternoon. Do you think I'll be fine driving up? Will the MK be okay on Saturday? (Hopefully, small crowds.)

Rabflmom

As far as I know all parks stayed open except Typhoon closed one day. Blizzard Stayed open that day though.

Not sure it would have been too fun to be in the heaviest rains that they got when the storm was going across the state. It would be a day where you only have tourists in the parks because locals would stay home. I know Thursday I think it was Blizzard had a good show of people throughout the day and stayed open all day when all other water parks in Central Florida were closed.

As for pictures and videos-----check the Florida Today newspaper site, the Orlando Sentinel site, and put in a search on You Tube because I am sure a lot of people did videos to put on there. Just put in Melbourne, Palm Bay, Brevard County and add the word flood 2008 or TS Fay flooding etc. and you should see some. Same for the Orlando area etc.

I took some at my house but we were lucky and only had the road flood-new houses are built up higher so it didn't get up our little hill. When they build on lots next to us the problem will be greater I think. I don't know how to post them :dazzle:

Kriszee1

I just got home after my stay from August 16 to the 24th....I HATE rain. Everytime we left the hotel, it rained. If we were on an outdoor ride like Dumbo or Triceratop Spin....It poured. I am going into work tomorrow wearing my poncho. It has become part of my daily routine now. During our last night, we hunkered down in our hotel room, and wouldn't you know it...not a drop of rain.
By the way, there's a chance of rain in NJ on Monday....I really hate rain right now! :brick:

abbeysmom

I was really feeling for anyone at Disney last week. We were at Panama City Beach and they just kept showing the stalled TS right over Orlando. We have been there during a TS (I can't remember which one). It moved very fast but it was ALOT of rain. Northing like I have ever seen before. Ponchos are great for your body but it's your feet that suffer..... Rivers of water running everywhere. And of course the air is pumping in all the shops so you freeze when you try to get out of the rain. I remember sitting in Le Cellier and people were coming in looking like drenched rats...:( We actually have seen more rain in Atlanta since we have been back than we saw last week in Florida... Go figure..... Hope everyone stayed safe!!!!!!!!! :kiss:

Kriszee1

There were puddles by JII that were at least 5 inches deep. I had on flip flops, so I walker right through it, but the bottom of the stroller was soaked! I am just glad my DS's clothes were in a ziploc bag!

I had my poncho on but as I pushed the stroller, the rain water was just running down my arms. I didn't take any pictures of the storm, but we did take a picture of the sun on Saturday, while it was out!

My favorite part was being at the kiddie pool at All Star Movies and standing in the pouring rain, watching my son play. I had a soaked towel wrapped around my waist. We were getting soaked at the parks, so the pool was actually fun. I am so glad the resorts and theme parks were trying so very hard to make guests enjoy as much as possible. We were at AK at about 8:30 AM on Tuesday when it hit...nothing like Triceratop spin in a downpour!

I am just glad we have been there so many times in the past few years that we were ok with going on a few rides. We used the photopas hte first few days, but we were so annoyed by the rain, we didn't even want to be bothered with a pic.

My DS was done after about 3 hours each time we went. He actually rode Nemo 10 times while we were there and stayed in the Seas for about an hour each time we rode it! At least it was dry! I just felt for people that were taking their first trip. I couldn't imagine that TS would be my first experience.

My husband and I spent more time laughing about the rain. Everytime we arrived at a park, it poured. My favorite souvenier is my poncho! I will treasure it always.

surfsupdon

Was at Beach Club Aug 19--26. It rained on and off Tuesday Wednesday Thursday, with some real heavy downpours. Then the weather was sunny and hot. Maybe an afternoon storm.

We had fun dancing in the rain at Beach Club on the pool deck. The recreation team had an abundance of activities scheduled and it was real fun doing it in the rain.

dandaman

Flew into MCO on the 21st, right when Fay was a her worst for the Orlando area, apparently... lucky us. :lol: Landed at 8 p.m. in some wicked crosswinds, somehow. Cloudy and intermittent showers until Saturday morning or so, then the summer-storm cycle restarted by Monday. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom