News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

mightynine

I know we wanted more unique merchandise but...
season 1 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

trainplane3

I'll admit when I first saw the thumbnail on the front page, I thought they were sealing pleather body suits and my brain just spiraled.

Compared to that, these toys seem pretty mild but still, it's weird the level of merchandising they're ratcheting up for an attraction based on an IP I don't think most millennials on down care much about.

Given the nature of the ride, the IP isn't really that important to the experience so I've no doubt the ride will be a hit but I'm wondering who's excited about these toys action figures?
Tron is one of those things you don't have to like the IP to enjoy the material. If you don't care about the movies, it's still a really great looking aesthetic. It's just cool looking.

Even as a Tron fan I'm surprised by the amount of merch. I don't think the figures will sell well at all but the identity discs should move fine. Then again, they're only selling one color it seems so that's pretty lame. Most of the clothing probably won't sell well either. The jacket looks nice though.

J4546

I love it! Tron is classic disney imo and it also makes me think tron 3 is in the works. Love the pins, figures, bikes, disks, and tron arcade machine backpack. As a tron fan, im very happy about this.

MrPromey

Tron is one of those things you don't have to like the IP to enjoy the material. If you don't care about the movies, it's still a really great looking aesthetic. It's just cool looking.

Even as a Tron fan I'm surprised by the amount of merch. I don't think the figures will sell well at all but the identity discs should move fine. Then again, they're only selling one color it seems so that's pretty lame. Most of the clothing probably won't sell well either. The jacket looks nice though.
Oh, I completely agree about the aesthetic and the ride, from what I've seen, doesn't need any understanding of the IP to be enjoyed.

As strictly ride souvenirs, I think a lot of the merch looks cool. I think a lot of it will sell better than some of what they've tried to peddle over in the Avatar space which for a lot of people who never saw the first one or really didn't remember it, would have looked at all that stuff as strictly ride souvenirs over there, too.

I just can't see a lot of people giving a crap about the figures, though.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm actually looking forward to some of the merch offerings. You can't find a ton of TRON merch to begin with, so I'll curious to see their full offerings when I go in May.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Poor Space Mountain will exit into all Tron merch lol

"Hmm... we can't sell Magic Bands, phone cases, plush, generic park t-shirts, and dozens of other things not really related to Space Mountain at the exit, what else could we try to sell there instead?"

Honestly. Make some cool Space Mountain t-shirts. I bet they'd all have some retro vibe since that's the only thing Disney seems to be able to produce these days, just avoid the horrible 70's color schemes. But the chances of that happening are slim to none, and slim just left.

MrPromey

"Hmm... we can't sell Magic Bands, phone cases, plush, generic park t-shirts, and dozens of other things not really related to Space Mountain at the exit, what else could we try to sell there instead?"

Honestly. Make some cool Space Mountain t-shirts. I bet they'd all have some retro vibe since that's the only thing Disney seems to be able to produce these days, just avoid the horrible 70's color schemes. But the chances of that happening are slim to none, and slim just left.
Funny enough, I got a really cool 60's modern-retro style Micky and Minnie character for Space Mountain a couple years back.*

The weird thing is, they weren't selling it in the ride exit gift shop.

It was at Disney Springs in the Wonderground space at the Co-Op. They also had framed and unframed prints, post cards, magnets, etc. with the same artwork.

I get it was "art" and all but they sell that kind of stuff at Momento Mori outside Haunted mansion for HM themed stuff done by the same people so why not for this when there is a space (pun intended) right there for it?

The way they do stuff is really nonsensical sometimes.

*it kind of matches some of the old DL artwork. It's not real retro and the style would obviously have been out of vogue before the ride was even built on either coast but it still looks cool.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Seeing this huge merchandise push just reminds me of how tremendously dull both Tron films are.

If they needed to revive a box office disappointment from the vault, why couldn’t it have been The Rocketeer? Or Dick Tracy?

Because this roller coaster was already approved, designed and tested for several years ago.

Same reason they chose Ratatouille for EPCOT over a multitude of other proposals.

Moth

Seeing this huge merchandise push just reminds me of how tremendously dull both Tron films are.

If they needed to revive a box office disappointment from the vault, why couldn’t it have been The Rocketeer? Or Dick Tracy?
Are you really implying The Rocketeer isn't dull? Really?

I'm just happy because they're using the Daft Punk music.

They are using it, right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom