News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

ctrlaltdel

It seems like they are really hauling to get the major projects done (GOTG, Tron, and Moana moved/moving a lot faster than I think most of us had anticipated). Have to say I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised (yes, I know these projects on the long-term are very delayed from initial timelines).

Legitimate question: did the money faucet turn on once it was clear the parks would be full once again, even through a major COVID wave like Omnicron?

tommyhawkins

if Tron opens in september while my trip, i will be so delighted. I wanted to go to shangai in 2020 to try this but...covid.
In soft opening time, who are allowed to ride it ? Is there a way to have a "ticket" ?
Unlikely, if any ride was going to get a public soft opening, it may well be Rewind, since its high capacity. im not sure the same can be said for Tron. So it will follow similar previews Cast Members>>> Media>>>Club 33/Golden Oaks>>>DVC (who can take a guest i believe)>>>>AP(only) Previews

It seems like they are really hauling to get the major projects done (GOTG, Tron, and Moana moved/moving a lot faster than I think most of us had anticipated). Have to say I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised (yes, I know these projects on the long-term are very delayed from initial timelines).

Legitimate question: did the money faucet turn on once it was clear the parks would be full once again, even through a major COVID wave like Omnicron?
Money Faucet didnt turn on until October 1st, they were in the black at a similar time, if not before on DPEP

ctrlaltdel

By now, they know internally what the 3Q financials will say. So... perhaps signs that revenue is still up.
Wouldn't be surprised if PEP revenue is still looking good. Parks have been clearly pretty full the past quarter. It's been very noticeable the increase in the rate of construction. Seems like they got the go-ahead to try and get things wrapped up for Tron by the end of FY2022. Even Journey of Water is moving at a rate where opening before the end of the calendar year seems possible.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

They really need some positive press.

ctrlaltdel

Listening to some older episodes of Disney Dish (from January of this year) and Len and Jim were talking about that at the end of last year that Disney realizes how badly they fumbled the 50th anniversary marketing and to get bookings up, have pushed GOTG and Tron hard (Tron was said to likely be ready by the holidays, worst case March of next year). In hindsight, that seems to correct with the context of seeing them pushing Tron very hard for months at this point.

doctornick

Listening to some older episodes of Disney Dish (from January of this year) and Len and Jim were talking about that at the end of last year that Disney realizes how badly they fumbled the 50th anniversary marketing and to get bookings up, have pushed GOTG and Tron hard (Tron was said to likely be ready by the holidays, worst case March of next year). In hindsight, that seems to correct with the context of seeing them pushing Tron very hard for months at this point.
Okay, but I’d have to wonder if anyone in Disney leadership actually thought that the 50th offerings would entice anyone? I kind of took it for granted that they just decided to bail on spending on too much for the 50th and counted on revenge travel fill the hotels/parks for 2021-22. Then they’d roll out GotG and then Tron to try to maintain bookings into 2023.

My point being that it strikes me as beyond crazy if they thought was they did for the 50th would inspire anyone to go to WDW who wasn’t otherwise going to go this year.

Edit: I would also just add that if they were really worried about lack of attendance at WDW, they would push to open Fantasmic! open earlier and would ship over PTN as a new offering. It's obvious they aren't that concerned and the parks seem plenty busy.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Attachments

• 7F190865-9486-4A42-8975-CE33AF4E9E01.jpeg
    7F190865-9486-4A42-8975-CE33AF4E9E01.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 80

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.

Nope. Bobby is shaking in his boots because he knows if TDO kept up their typical pace Epic Universe would be fully built before Tron appeared on a park map. ;)

Bbeagle

My point being that it strikes me as beyond crazy if they thought was they did for the 50th would inspire anyone to go to WDW who wasn’t otherwise going to go this year.
People are NOT coming to Disney for the 50th. They're coming because they planned to in 2020 and 2021 and couldn't (or wouldn't during covid).

We planned to go in December 2020, but we have delayed until December 2022 due to covid. We'll be there during the 50th - by chance. But the 50th did not encourage us in any way to come. It DISCOURAGED us from coming the past few months because we didn't want the covid crowds PLUS the 50th crowds. Whatever Disney offers during the 50th doesn't matter in the least bit to us, or anyone we know. We're glad to just have the parks back.

doctornick

People are NOT coming to Disney for the 50th. They're coming because they planned to in 2020 and 2021 and couldn't (or wouldn't during covid).

We planned to go in December 2020, but we have delayed until December 2022 due to covid. We'll be there during the 50th - but nothing to do with the 50th, and Disney understands that they really don't have to promote the 50th.

Right. That's exactly what I said. Nobody is making a special trip to WDW for "the 50th" because there's nothing special going on for that; anyone going in late 2021-2022 is going because they were going anyway.

My point was that I'm certain the powers that be recognize this and aren't caught off guard. They intentionally decided to do very little for the 50th since they expected "revenge travel" to be enough to fill the parks and hotels for the time being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom