News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Madame Medusa

Not just a hideous building, but a hideous building with a nearly identical ride. How is this any more special than Space Mountain?! It completely diminishes the excitement factor of both. They might as well be dueling coasters.

Talk about ruining a classic attraction, ie an iconic one there since the beginning, not a cheap overlay from 1996 of a ride no one even thinks about.

I'm surprised this is met with such positivity. It's by far the worst idea from D23.

FigmentForver96

Not just a hideous building, but a hideous building with a nearly identical ride. How is this any more special than Space Mountain?! It completely diminishes the excitement factor of both. They might as well be dueling coasters.

Talk about ruining a classic attraction, ie an iconic one there since the beginning, not a cheap overlay from 1996 of a ride no one even thinks about.

I'm surprised this is met with such positivity. It's by far the worst idea from D23.
Other then being "coasters" there is nothing similar about them.

Casper Gutman

Other then being "coasters" there is nothing similar about them.

Sci-fi coasters in the dark with no loops and a light show for scenery - it goes deeper, actually - heavy emphasis on blue lighting, starts in tunnel with mirrors and flashing lights, ends in a tunnel with pulsing lights, etc.

Watch the Shanghai video - even the loading area is very, very similar to DL's SM. Tron is much, much more like SM then Shanghai Pirates is like our Pirates.

Plus, we have Tron Track.

Basically, the only way this makes sense is to think of it in terms of TSMM adding another track or Soarin' another theater. Desperation for capacity without concern for thematic coherence (it doesn't match with SM's architecture at all) or uniqueness.

EricsBiscuit

Sci-fi coasters in the dark with no loops and a light show for scenery - it goes deeper, actually - heavy emphasis on blue lighting, starts in tunnel with mirrors and flashing lights, ends in a tunnel with pulsing lights, etc.

Watch the Shanghai video - even the loading area is very, very similar to DL's SM. Tron is much, much more like SM then Shanghai Pirates is like our Pirates.

Plus, we have Tron Track.

Basically, the only way this makes sense is to think of it in terms of TSMM adding another track or Soarin' another theater. Desperation for capacity without concern for thematic coherence (it doesn't match with SM's architecture at all) or uniqueness.
Have you actually been on the one in Shanghai? I've been on it 5 times. There is a clear storyline, cool effects, great lighting, and amazing thrills.

Madame Medusa

The People Mover is not only safe, but they're building another near identical ride in the same section of the same park! This time there are blue lights glowing inside each vehicle, so that makes it entirely new and unique!

Rodan75

As if that's the only similarity.

If someone told me the Shanghai ride was just their take on Space Mountain, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash.

Outside of them being coasters, I really think folks are over-reacting. We have two coasters in Fantasyland, 2 E's in Frontierland and Adventureland. Folks seem to randomly create goalposts and freak out when Disney doesnt score.

SpectroMan93

I've never seen Tron, but if this is an indication of the new direction Tomorrowland is going in, I'm on board. The ride looks sleek and breathes a ton of life into an outdated land that sorely needs a new aesthetic. I agree that the ride POVs are somewhat lacking, but given the stellar reviews from people who have actually ridden, I'll withhold judgement. I feel like several of those criticizing this will sing a different tune after riding it.

invader

I've never seen Tron, but if this is an indication of the new direction Tomorrowland is going in, I'm on board. The ride looks sleek and breathes a ton of life into an outdated land that sorely needs a new aesthetic. I agree that the ride POVs are somewhat lacking, but given the stellar reviews from people who have actually ridden, I'll withhold judgement. I feel like several of those criticizing this will sing a different tune after riding it.
Ideally Tomorrowland would return to the aesthetic it had before 1994.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom