Trip Report May 24 - June 1 2008

Just got back from another wonderful trip to the world and I thought that I'd do a little report.

My wife and I last visited WDW two years ago for our honeymoon and we went for the first time with a child, our 5 month old daughter. I always said that I'd never take an infant to WDW and if anyone asks I'd still not reccomend it. BUT ours did very well on the plane and during the trip!

We arrived Saturday evening and went to Pop Century via Magical Express. We got a room that was pretty close and on the ground floor. They brought a crib in for us but our baby didn't like ti at all so she ended up sleeping in the full size bed. Housekeeping brought in bed rails so she wouldn't fall out of it which was very nice.

Day One
Sunday we went to the Magic Kingdom. Crowds weren't too bad and much fun was had. We took the baby on all of the attractions except for the mountains, of course. She looked all around on Pirates, Tiki Room and Haunted Mansion. Sometimes she whimpered a little if she was hungry, tired or needed a change but was otherwise reasonable.

My wife and I LOVED the changes to Haunted Mansion and Pirates, it was our first time seeing them in person and they did a fantastic job. The Monsters Inc Laugh Floor was also a lot of fun. The baby was put up on the big screen toward the end of the show.

Day Two
Monday we did Fantasia Gardens mini golf for the first time. Great course, lots of fun... the Baccus, Greek God of wine part was really difficult! Then we went to the Crystal Palace for dinner. The characters came up to the baby one by one. Eeyore was there several times, then Pooh. The baby seemed fairly cool with them. Then Piglet approached our table. He stood there for a moment and our child got the biggest smile we ever saw. She LOVED Piglet! It was such a suprise and I have to admit that I had to hold it back... no crying at Disney! It was one of the highlights of the trip.

The Pirate & Princess Party was next. There wasn't much of a wait for any of the rides so we could switch off easily using the child swap. The parade is really good and the fireworks were fantastic. The baby did not enjoy those at all. It didn't help that we were behind the castle when they started and were completely surrounded by them!

Maerj

Original Poster
Day Three
Epcot! It was our first time on the new Spaceship Earth. Eeeeeek! Some background music would GREATLY help this attraction! The last version had a great score but this one... I barely heard any of it. The narration was okay, nothing great but okay. Then the ride suddenly stops and you get the screen showing your Jetsons E-Surance version of the future. A better transition would help a lot.

The Nemo ride was fun, well themed with nice effects. Didn't have much to do with the seas in an educational sense but it was enjoyable.

Then there is the Mexico ride... sheesh! It has nothing to do with Mexico anymore! Its now "Where's Donald? Where's Donald? There's Donald!" The end. Maybe they could add narration telling us where Donald is and what's going on there would help?

Day Four
Hollywood Studios. This is getting waaay too long so I'll skip to the new stuff for now. Block Party Bash... excellent! Fun, high energy, great parade or show? I don't know but its a welcome addition. Then there is Toy Story Midway Mania. LOVED IT! What a fun ride! Great line queue, great themeing and Mr. Potato Head is incredible! They did such a great job with him and the ride. I can't say enough good things about it. :sohappy:

Well, got to go to bed for now... more report tomorrow.

Gucci65

Great report so far!! Glad to hear the baby did not get scared by Pooh and co. Disney being above and beyond sweet to your little ones is what hooked us for life!!

Maerj

Original Poster
Okay, back from work and the report continues...

Day Five
Blizzard Beach! My first time to this water park. We checked out Tike's Peak, since we had a 5 month old. The lazy river was fun, we rode that around the entire park. The baby seemed to enjoy the wave pool, which was fun. Not as big as the one at Typhoon Lagoon but still enjoyable. We didn't ride the bigger rides due to the baby and I sort of have a water phobia. Oh well! Dinner was at Boma at the AKL and it was fantastic as usual. I think that would have to be my favorite buffet at WDW, food-wise.

Day Six
Animal Kingdom! Got several rides on Everest and Dinosaur. Toward the end of the day there is no one in the park so you can ride all you like. The CMs applauded on the last Everest ride. I *think* they may have rode it themselves after that. The new Nemo musical was excellent, really well done. I thought it would be mellow but there was an explosion in the middle of it. The baby doesn't seem to like that sort of thing. :lookaroun For dinner we tried the Yak & Yeti. Nicely themed building and good food. I had the half of duck something or other, it was good but don't tell Donald!

Day Seven
It always nice to have one day where you can go back and do something that you missed, a free day if you will. We chose to go back to Epcot and see a little more of what we missed the first time. We ate lunch at the Land, which has some of the best counter service offerings, in my opinion. After Epcot we had reservations for Cinderella's Gala Feast at the Grand Floridian.

If you have never tried this place I DO suggest it. It is a buffet and the food was pretty good but after eating at many buffets during the week I was starting to get filled up! The characters include Cinderella and Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and her daughters. This was so much fun! I really loved the villians, why don't they have more villains in the parks? Lady Tremaine approached the baby and asked "Did you name... it?" They stay in character so well, I couldn't stop laughing. The little girls who come to these Princess events REALLY get into it! They squealed as the Prince came out and booed the villains. Lots of fun!

So, it was a long, fun week. It was my first time at the parks with not only a child but an infant. It was certainly more work and I really wouldn't suggest others do it unless they understand what is really involved. I would have to say though that I am glad we took her as she did seem to have a great time and her moment with Piglet was so cute and she looked so happy. I've said I would probably leave her with Grandma next trip but I get this nagging feeling that I may really want to take her again. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom