Trip Report July 26-August 4 (pre, during, and post)

I've been a lurker here on WDWMagic for a few years. Just over a year ago, while at WDW, I decided to become a member and only just recently have really started doing any posting, so, here it is....my first trip report.

We are over-the-top planners and tomorrow I will share our plans with everyone. In terms of the general lay of the land. I have been going to WDW since 1976, when my Aunt lived in Orlando and we visited at Xmas each year of my youth. Upon college graduation, I started going again and have visited almost once a year on average for the past 15 years. All except a couple of trips have been during peak and holiday seasons. In fact, with our last trip being from Xmas to New Years, this summer the crowds will seem light to us! (I think we are really quite jaded about crowds - on Dec. 27, we left MK at noon and felt like it was still not too crowded when we left only to see at the parking lot entrance that they were closed due to capacity).

Here's us at Xmas time in DHS:

We invested in DVC just a couple years ago (OKW through resale). This will be the first time our daughter has stayed anywhere by OKW as we are doing a split trip - Boardwalk Villas and AKL Jambo House. This is also the first time we have gotten the Dining Plan with our daughter (did it as a couple once and liked the convenience, we know we aren't saving money).

Tomorrow the detailed plans so we can eventually compare plan to reality.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 3 (just a brief Day 3 synopsis, because we are packing to change resorts this morning)
7am - hop on the early morning bus to Magic Kingdom
8am - walk quickly to Tomorrowland and ride Space Mountain, then Buzz Lightyear. No real wait, no worries.
8:45am - Back to the Bakery for some great breakfast.
9am - I hike over to Frontierland to pick up FP for Big Thunder Mountain while DD and DW shop! At the rope drop for Frontierland, there were some rather impatient guests and I was very impressed with Jamie, the Jungle Cruise skipper for her patience and the fact that she stuck by her guns in following the rules. Nice to see people doing their job well!
10am - Family Magic Tour - what a blast! 2 hours of fun and mayhem. Even in the exceptional heat! (yes, we are getting a little tired of Orlando breaking record temperatures during our visit)
11:45am - at the end of the tour, we get to meet Peter Pan and Wendy and DD loves every minute of it! Then to Big Thunder Mountain and use our FP. At 12pm we are out of the park and headed back to the Boardwalk.
12-3pm - Lunch and naps in the room.
3pm - Catch the Boat over to Hollywood Studios
3:30pm - We enjoy the end of the Block Party Bash parade and then grab some FPs for Star Tours for after dinner.
3:45pm - Time for early dinner at Mama Melrose's. The place was packed at what would seem to me an odd time for dinner. Of course, the dinner was very good and WAY more food than we could handle. Special thanks to the staff for making a specialty pizza for our DD!
5:15pm - After dinner, we go visit with Sulley (Monsters:Inc) and then watch my favorite - MuppetVision 3D. Lovely to see the film restored to such a high quality. Hopefully all the theatre effects will be restored as well, soon.
6pm - Star Tours! Our last trip to Endor before the big update!
6:30pm - Time for DDs first time seeing the Indiana Jones Stunt show. Of course, now she wants to see the movie!
7:15pm - We stop and grab some frozen lemonade and make some pit stops before getting our Fantasmic! seats.
9pm - Fantasmic! was as enjoyable as ever and DD loved her first time seeing it and had a tough time getting to sleep because she was trying to figure out how they did all the effects!!
So, now it is time to finish packing and head to EMH at Studios for the big rides!!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry for getting a day behind, but quite busy past couple days - and this morning I only have a couple minutes before catching the bus, so here's a brief
Day 4
7:15am - Load up the car to change resorts, then drive over to Hollywood Studios
8am - In the park and part of the crazy crowd headed for Toy Story Mania. I was first in line to get FP, then we rode with a short wait.
8:20am - Over to Tower of Terror for DDs first ride ever. She was quite scared, but LOVED it. In fact, while I got breakfast, DD and DW rode a second time and after breakfast, we got an FP for Tower later in the day.
9:20 - Back to Toy Story Mania to use our FP, then to Little Mermaid for the show!
I'll finish this up this afternoon after Epcot morning!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 4 (cont.)
10am - A return to Tower of Terror for DDs third ride of the day.
10:30 - in line to see the Beauty and the Beast live show
12pm - After the show, we grab a frozen treat and head to Animal Kingdom Lodge to check in.
1pm - Of course, this time the room is not ready early (when we need it) so we get some lunch at Mara, then wait/nap in the lobby until 4pm, then to the room for QUICK showers and dressed up for...

DINNER AT VICTORIA AND ALBERT'S CHEF TABLE!
I will be brief here. Best dinner ever. Most expensive dinner ever. Worth every penny. In the Dining forums, I'll post a full review with tons of pictures once we get home, but it was truly incredible. We ate from 5pm-9:30pm while DD played at the Mousketeer Club.

I'll try to get the Day 5 and Day 6 blogs up as soon as possible, but now it is time for a nap, then dinner at 1900 Park Fare.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5
7am Up and at 'em!
8am Almost first in line for Animal Kingdom EMH opening.
--There was a lot of concern from the DD about riding Everest for the first time. She took a little pocket LED with her so it wouldn't be dark and we had to tell her exactly when the Yeti might appear so she could close her eyes. So, after she rode if for the second time in a row and insisted that we get FP for later in the day, she was pretty OK with it! :animwink:
8:40 Safari time. We met up with some friends from home who we somehow are always visiting Disney at the same time. It was a great safari. Lots of animals out - the cheetah was out and on the prowl and lots of giraffe out for entertainment.
9am While I made a quick run over to Kali to get some FP, DD and DW got to meet Baloo and King Louie.
9:15 Heading to Lion King to get some good seats, we stopped to meet with Lilo and Stitch, Pocahontas, and Turk (it was a good morning for meeting characters and there were almost no lines!)
10am Festival of the Lion King. This was DDs first time seeing it since she was too small to remember, and she loved it!
11am Over to the Finding Nemo Musical, which as always was most excellent. It was a great cast - gotta love the guy who does Crush (what a voice).
12:15 Time to use our FPs. Everest first, then Kali. We all got quite soaked on Kali, so our lunch at Restaurantosaurus was a bit chilly!
2pm We're back at our room for some afternoon relaxation and get cleaned up.
5pm Heading to Mickey's Backyard Bar-B-Q. After bus and boat over, we're in line for the show. After reading some horrific comment about trying to get good seats for the show, we were happy to be seated by cast members off to the side, but right up front. EVERYONE had an awesome time - good food, good times, lots of dancing, and (perhaps best of all for tired parents) all you can drink beer. We took off our usual Beer Snob personas and enjoyed quite a bit of Bud Light!
9pm Yup, you guessed it. We were THE last people to leave the BBQ. More meeting characters, I chatted with the band, then on the boat back to MK (seeing quite a bit of lightening off in the distance), then the bus to AKL, and finally to sleep!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad to hear so many are enjoying the updates. I am enjoying writing them! I, like some of you, can't wait to post pictures. We have already taken well over 500 and while I can't post all of them, I'll make sure you get the highlights (one of which I am about to cover). Right now, the ladies are napping and since I am a terrible when it comes to naps, I'll catch you up on yesterday and this morning...

Day 6
7am Awake and rearing to go!
7:30 Already at Epcot and ready for the opening. This is the first morning where we have all been a bit groggy. Perhaps the BBQ fun caught up to us a bit, but brush off the cobwebs and away we go!
8am Right to Test Track at the rope drop. Once again we have joined forces with our friends from home (actually they split up, so we gained a daughter for first ride). Rode and got FP for later in the day.
8:30 To Akershus for the Princess breakfast. Always a highlight with our daughter - and even better now that she enjoys more of the food than the Lingonberry muffins (which I could survive on a desert island with).
9:45 After breakfast, we let our food settle with Universe of Energy. Again, a first for the daughter who is a big game show fan, so the premise of Ellen's dream/nightmare really worked for her. Since it is such a long ride, we just took our time walking back to World Showcase after the ride.
11am Ready to go on Maelstrom at opening. We were glad to see the short film afterward as it is usually not running when we go. For some reason I really like the random synthesized music at the beginning when the little kid is in the museum.
11:15 to China, where we first get to meet Mulan (princess #5 of the day) and then watch Reflections of China.
11:45 After China, we just kind of tour our way around the rest of World Showcase, stopping for a snack here, a fun picture there. I enjoy silly poses with statues, so there are some of those to share later!
12:30 We head back to our room for a short pool visit, some rest, and dinner preparations.
4pm Time to catch the bus to MK, then the monorail to Grand Floridian for 1900 Park Fare. Storms were brewing, so we were just hoping not to get rained on, because... wait, let me pause for some background...a few years ago on a visit, DD was wearing a Cinderella dress (DW loves to sew) and at 1900, Anastasia cryed and complained to her that nobody wears her dress - all the kids love Cinderella. So, last visit, she was Anastasia at 1900 which resulted in tons of pictures (some on my page) and a great time - Except, Drizella was furious that our DD would wear an Anastasia dress and not hers. So, guess what she was wearing this time? OK, back to the action.

5pm Dinner time. Well, the results of this dress were amazing and unexpected. First, along comes Anastasia who raises a big stink, but after DD explains the history, is OK with it. Lady Tremaine insists on fixing DDs bow and dress to make her perfect. Cinderella and Prince Charming both enjoy a bit of good natured ribbing. Finally, Drizella arrives and makes a huge deal about the dress. Announcing to the room that her Mini-me was here. Posing for about 50 pictures, and at the end of dinner, parading DD around the restaurant for other families to see her (and many took pictures of her!). Last thing Drizella asks is if we are going to watch MSEP tonight because she will be in it for once. We say yes, but doubtful that she will still have the dress on as it is POURING rain outside and it is a nice dress!
6pm So, we wander around GF for a while hoping for the rain to stop. Lightening had knocked out the monorail, so about 7pm (back with our friends and after rain had let up) we wait for a bus...and wait...and wait...then we decide to wait for a boat...and wait...and finally get to MK around 8:45pm. Rather than try to get parade seats, we train back to Toontown for a final couple rides on Barnstormer and to meet Tink. The wait for Tink wasn't worth it, so after Barnstormer, we hit Teacups, then to the hub to get seats for the fireworks.
10pm Fireworks. Wow! The Nightastic show is most excellent. Really enjoyed it. After the show we hit Haunted Mansion for a ride, then to our favorite parade spot - outside the Barber Shop.

11pm Parade time (and yes, DD is still in her dress). As usual, the area is empty around there, so we get lots of attention from the characters in the parade. Tink 'loves the dress.' Minnie points to DD and jumps up and down with excitement and they exchange bows. Snow White comes right up and shakes DDs hand and says 'I love your Drizella dress.' But then comes the float with Anastasia and Drizella. Anastasia sees DD first (from still behind the gate area) and drags Drizella over and they both start screaming. "Hi DD!" (OK, they actually said her name. :animwink:) For the 30 seconds that they were passing by they were dancing up and down and screaming to her and just having a blast. Yes, I'll admit it - I had a tear in my eye as I snapped about 50 pictures of them!!
11:30 After all that awesomeness. And, it truly was awesome, we headed back to the room. Who would've thought that a Drizella dress could make such an excellent night of things! Next year, she wants to either bring both dresses and change during dinner or cut them both in half, then sew the halves together and be half each. We shall see!

KnK

Can't wait to see the magical pictures. Your DD will never forget the time she got picked out from a crowd.

DAKOTADISNEY

What a wonderful experience for your daughter! That's what Disney does best, making everyone feel special. We've had our share of magical moments and as a parent it's so much fun to watch their faces and see them so happy. Enjoying your trip report!

Billy6

What a wonderful experience for your daughter! That's what Disney does best, making everyone feel special. We've had our share of magical moments and as a parent it's so much fun to watch their faces and see them so happy. Enjoying your trip report!

My sentiments, exactly...

Enjoyed reading about your "dress awesomeness"...It has happened to me with my DD(4), as well...The attention she get brings the biggest smile to my face. Funny, how they all fight over you cause your DD is in a certain dress, and not theirs...

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 7
7am I woke up a little early and got my girls some breakfast from Mara before we head to Blizzard Beach.
8am To our H2O park day.
9am At opening, we stake out some chairs, then head for the tube rides of Runoff Rapids. 4x up those steps and down the chutes. Lots of fun! Then a lazy river ride around to the chair lift and down Teamboat Springs. Instead of waiting in line for the chair, we do MORE stairs and ride Teamboat a second time. Then an hour or so of DD playing in the Ski Patrol Training area. She loved having some independance on the slides.
11am With a little more confidence, DD decides we can go try the Toboggan Racers, which we do a couple times. One more lazy river ride and it is lunch time. After good eats from Lottawatta Lodge, we do a full circuit on the (now crowded) lazy river, some time in the wave pool, and a couple last slides.
1pm As always, we try to get out of the water parks by early afternoon and back the room for a big nap.
4pm Up and heading back to Animal Kingdom to finish up the kids Explorer stations and a visit to Rafiki's Planet Watch.
4:45 We visit the Discovery Island explorer station right as the afternoon storm hits. A bit more wet, we take the train to Conservation Station.
5pm A nice visit, including some visits with Rafiki and Jiminy Cricket.
6pm Dinner at Tusker House (wow, a sit down meal with no characters!)
7pm It's time for evening EMH, so we see Tough To Be A Bug (DDs first time braving the bugs) and enjoy it to the fullest.
7:30 The line for E:E is still pretty long, so we pass it and just ride Triceratops Spin and spend a few minutes in the Boneyard before heading out.
Also, by the end of the evening, the post-storm humidity was starting to really hurt, so it was good to get back to the room pretty early.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, we are home now. :mad: But what a great vacation. I'm going to finish up the daily reports tonight, then maybe tomorrow get some pictures posted and some summary thoughts!
Day 8
7am A little slower to rise by this point in the vacation, but off to Magic Kingdom!
8am DW and DD head back to Dumbo for opening and I go grab Space Mountain FP. Run into our friends at SM, so we all head to Peter Pan together. I could be wrong, but this summer the morning EMH have been MUCH busier than the mornings this past Christmas. More on that in the summary notes.
9am Second in line at the barber shop. DD has only ever had her haircut there, so this was her 4th in 6 years! DW got a trim, too. I do love that a haircut at Disney is cheaper than just about anywhere!
9:30 A quick ride on Aladdin's Magic Carpets before going to Tom Sawyer Island at opening (10am).
10am We are some of the first on the island, but, alas, do not find a paint brush. We do have a great time exploring and playing, though!
10:30 We grab Splash FPs (two mountains in hand, now) and visit Pirates for one last time this trip.
11:30 While DD and DW go to storytime with Belle, I head back to Big Thunder to score the last of the Mountain Trifecta of Fastpasses.
12:30 Heading out of the park for a well deserved rest AND for DD to decorate cookies at Boma!
2pm A dip in the pool to cool off and and then a short nap.
4pm Heading to Epcot, we walk back to Canada for the movie there and exit just as the heavens open upon us. DD and DW get their ponchos on, but alas, I get soaked!
4:30-5:30 Exploring at Innoventions for DD and DW, while I go over to MouseGear and buy a new shirt! And the cloudburst has ended!
5:30 Dinner at the Garden Grill.
7pm Our biggest change of plans so far this trip, we grab the monorail and head back to Magic Kingdom to use our 3 mountain FPs and catch the night parade again (with dress waiting in the backpack).
7:45 Splash Mountain with a great log of people, working as a team to get us past the big splash at the beginning, then enjoying a brief breakdown just before the final climb! Then Big Thunder Mountain.
8:30 DW gets changed into her Drizella dress to try to recapture the magic from a couple nights ago.
9pm Parade time - and Drizella and Anastasia do not disappoint! Another great Disney moment!
9:30 A final ride on Space Mountain and back to the room for the saddest night of all, the last one.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 9
7am Up and finishing up the packing, grabbing some breakfast from Mara, checking out, etc.
9am At DHS for regular opening. It has been a while since we did a regular opening at DHS. WOW, that's a lot of people! DD and DW got on one of the first elevators of Tower of Terror while I got Toy Story FPs. We all met up at about 9:30am for our final Star Tours ride before the refurb.
10am Our final Muppet Vision of the trip. More notes on Muppet Vision in my wrap up tomorrow. Then over to Toy Story to use our FPs. This time, our DD rode by herself back-to-back with us. Nice little moment of independance for her!
11am 50s Prime Time for lunch. Always a good time. And you can't beat the milkshakes!
12pm We drive back over to Magic Kingdom for a brief last visit there.
1pm Pick up Buzz Lightyear FPs, then rode TTA once through. Skipped over to the Tiki Room to see the show, then back to use the Buzz FP.
3pm The afternoon parade was new to us (a surprise) and good to see Kermit and Piggy opening up the show!
3:30 We visit with Tiana and Naveen (DD loves Princess and the Frog), then back for a quick walk through Toontown for what we expect will be the last time ever!
4pm Grab dinner to go from Sonny Eclipse and a couple snacks from the Confectionary and out the doors!
5pm On the road back home....
9am this morning, back home. All 1100 pictures are downloading right now, so I'll try to post some tomorrow with finishing thoughts.

adamneely

I loved reading through all of this! I'm going down in September and all the magic moments you shared are getting me very excited! Can't wait to see pictures!

thewdwguru

How are families selected for the opening ceremony at MK? Or, what can you do to increase your chances of being selected? Thanks

SaskDisneyGirl

What a great trip report, I cant wait to see the pics of your DD with her Drizella dress! That is a great idea, I have just the typical Cinderella, Tinkerbell and Minnie Mouse outfits for my daughter, but after reading this I will definetly be thinking about some different outfits for her for our next trip!! Thanks so much for posting!! :sohappy::sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom