Trip report from June 8-15th

I'm a rookie to "threads" but wanted to post our recent experience to the world. Perhaps it could help someone like me. The last two years we spent our Fall Break (October) at Disney. This year, due to the 7 for 4 promotion, we moved up our trip to June so we could take advantage of the deal and also celebrate our son's birthday. Apprehensive about the heat and crowd prediction, I thought about changing to October, but didn't. Hind site being 20/20, I should have. The crowds were rather large, at least in comparison to October. With two kids, 4 and now 10, we are used to the crowds being such that we don't need a "touring plan". Well, that changed. The heat made things miserable by 2pm. We utilized some touring plan ideas as well as the fast passes, but enjoy being more relaxed in the park which is why October will be our preferred time in the future.

We stayed at POFQ which was great. The cast members were awesome. On our son's b-day, he chose MK and the fast pass options. Word of warning, b-day fast passes ARE NOT GOOD during EMH. We were told differently by Guest Services and other FP attendants. I debated on talking with our concierge about it as well as the HUGE...I mean HUGE lines of people waiting for buses out of MK after EMH. Finally, I did talk to the concierge trying to find out who I could offer some feedback. The GM of POFQ talked to me and apologized. She gave us additional fast passes as well as created some magic for our kids with some surprise gifts on our last evening. The resort is quaint, well themed, and has very short walks to the food court. Sure the doors on the rooms are in need of a new coat of paint and some of the grout in the tiles of the shower need some attention, the overall resort was great.

Bus service...:veryconfu I was very confused as to what has happened to the bus service since our list visit, October of 2008. The service was unpredictable and we wasted a lot of time waiting for buses. On Sunday the 14th, we saw back to back to back to back Epcot buses with no one even at the stop from DHS. This happened in the resort too. Also, sometimes the bus would stop at Riverside, sometimes not. I understand some buses stop, but when one bus going to Epcot goes straight to the park and the next time you board an Epcot bus it goes to POR, it made no sense. We heard they are now using some new GPS system that can change the route of the bus in a snap. Here's a good example of what can happen. Leaving AK, the bus pulling in said "Port Orleans" and that's all. It completely emptied, the filled completely up with people standing. The announcement said.."Our next stop will be PO Resort". Suddenly, we made a detour and stopped at Blizzard Beach. No one got on and no one got off. Strange. So, I'd give the bus system a "D" this year compared to "A"'s our previous two visits.

One last thing...there are no more classic Disney cartoons on the channels available in your room. :veryconfu Why Disney? Why? Kids LOVE those cartoons and it shows them the original characters instead of just Micky Mouse Clubhouse computer animated characters. My kids loved those cartoons!

All in all, it was a great trip with the family, but we will not go back in June when crowds are large and the heat is extreme. The promo worked as the resort was at capacity and they were booked solid this week too.

Good luck with your vacation!

foreverbelle

thanks for the heads up about the whole fast pass. i would have thought that it would have been good....

I am glad you didn't let that stop you from having a good time and that you enjoyed your trip!

Mukta

Thanks for the great report. I will keep the bus thing in mind when planning my trip.
I have always avoided a June trip. I think I will continue to go in the fall.

JustPlainBill

Thanks for your report...my kids loved those cartoons as well, sorry to hear they're no longer playing. I used to turn that channel on in the morning to wake them up.

jetsmom

the cartoon channel

my son & I just returned from staying at the Contemporary (June 10-15) and the cartoons were there you just had to to flip around to find the station

the busses were my only complaint. We waited forever for a bus from DHS to our hotel and almost just took a taxi.

this was my son's first time to WDW - we had a blast!

willsdad01

Original Poster
Really? I wonder if this is a resort thing. Last two years we've stayed at a Deluxe. This year being at a moderate we couldn't find the cartoons and searched on a nightly basis. Oh well. Yeah, buses were not good this time, but it didn't spoil our trip. Glad you had a good trip.

Finally, I did talk to the concierge trying to find out who I could offer some feedback. The GM of POFQ talked to me and apologized. She gave us additional fast passes as well as created some magic for our kids with some surprise gifts on our last evening.

Thanks for all the warnings! Just curious, what sort of gifts did they give you for your children? I always hear about little magical things like this that happen in hotels from sweet CMs, but it's never happened to us :shrug:

TxNewsies

My DH and I loved the classic cartoons when we stayed at CBR in Oct '07 but were very sad to be unable to find them the following year when staying at PORS in Aug '08. We searched every channel for them.

How did you like POFQ. We are interested in staying there in the future and was curious how it was compared to other moderate resorts. We loved PORS and CBR but everything is so spread out. It looks like it's a little bit more central at POFQ. What did you think?

willsdad01

Original Poster
My DH and I loved the classic cartoons when we stayed at CBR in Oct '07 but were very sad to be unable to find them the following year when staying at PORS in Aug '08. We searched every channel for them.

How did you like POFQ. We are interested in staying there in the future and was curious how it was compared to other moderate resorts. We loved PORS and CBR but everything is so spread out. It looks like it's a little bit more central at POFQ. What did you think?
We had never stayed in a moderate, but we liked it a lot. We didn't have a walk over 5 minutes to get to the bus station, pool, or food court. If we wanted to do more, than we walked 10 minutes up to POR. I would say that the rooms don't look as nice as the pictures I've seen of CSR, but they served the purpose of sleeping and resting. I would definately stay there again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom