Trip Report 8/15 - 8/24

JJHale

Ok ... finally have enough time away from work and unpacking to post a report. This is my first trip report, I'll do my best.

Took the Autotrain (1st time). Relaxing trip, but due to heat and signal problems we didn't arrive until about noon. Picked up the truck and headed to Port Orleans Riverside. Room was ready, checked in and headed to MK.

First ... Riverside. Still absolutely beautiful. Every time we stay there I am astounded by the place. Stayed in Aligator Bayou. Very cozy and rather private for such a large resort. Room was clean and in great shape. Definitely up to WDW standards. Lobby building and food court were great, the theming is remarkable. I could go on ...

PARKS: Magic Kingdom - Crowds were actually lighter than expected. MK never disapoints us. Don't mean to sound mushy but, you can still fell Walt's touch every where you turn. Rode the major attractions Splash, Space and Big Thunder. Big Thunder seemed a bit "faster" than previous trips. We allways rode the last car but it still seemed to be a notch higher on the intensity scale. Is that possible? Perhaps I was just thrilled to be there. Jungle Cruise was great, had a good "guide", we picked on each other the whole cruise. POTC - kinda miss the old "non-PC" version but it still one of my favorites. HM - For some reason we rode this more than anything the whole trip, at least 8 times (lines were short even during the day). My daughter and I noticed that there are 160 Doom Buggies in the ride (details, details). The new tombstone is cool, a couple of people jumped and screamed when Madam Leotta opened her eyes! FUN! HoTP - Pres. Bush speech is good. Attraction always moving, especially this year. Took in e-ride on the 20th and 23rd. mostly Splash, BTM and HM on the 20th, stayed in Tomorrowland on the 23rd. Always a fun night. Main Street Bakery is a late night must for everyone.

MGM Studios - Our favorite park. First, the hat. Didn't find it as annoying as I expected. Very bright and colorful. Covers TGMR but that attraction wasn't really visible from the front of the park anyway. BTW, rode GMR several times. I don't understand people who trash this ride. I have ridden it countless times and it still entertains me. This is a movie them park and this ride is about the movies! Perhaps a couple of the choices are questionable (Aliens?) but all in all it is a great attraction. We did look for and see the R2 hyroglyph, rode in the very back and watched for the cast member to appear as we left the "jewel" scene. saw them! Star Tours - sentimental favorite, don't care if the technology is dated, this ride is FUN. Rode several times with first timers, the sqeals of delight convince me that this attraction is still great. MV3D - wonderful, preshow is the BEST! Indy - maybe a little dated. Show is entertaining (and looks like some new hardware) but it might be my choice for a major overhaul or replacement. TOT - What can you say, the best attraction at WDW. The detail is amazing, I could explore the lobby and library for hours. The ride is fun, the effects amazing. It did seem as if the drop sequence changed from ride to ride (8 or so times over 3 days) Is it a random sequence now? RNRC - Second favorite attraction. Second most fun you can have in the dark. I love the alley, and the launch is pure adrenaline rush. Saw Fantasmic, a jaw dropping show. During our show the Beauty and the Beast barge went out of control and came to rest against the side of the lagoon by the audience! Quick recovery and the show went on! (And by the way, IMO Stitch is knida cute on the Empire State Building). Wonderful Theme Park!!!

Epcot - Spent more time here than usual. explored World Showcase and sampled a LOT of food (burp!) Only bummer of the trip, My wife's wallet went missing in Japan and never resurfaced. Fortunately she carried little cash and the Trav Checks and Cards were quickly replaced (Thank you AMEX). We enjoyed Futureworld, (Everyone, take the single rider line for TT!!!) Energy, The Land (another big burp), SE and the Living Seas are fun. Passed on WOL. I'm always reluctant to go to Epcot but once I am there I enjoy it just as much as any other park. I just think it just needs better PR.

Animal Kingdom - Spent one full day there. This is an amazing theme park. I am in awe of it every time I go there. The diversity of the animals, the detail of the theming, all make for a unique experience. Safari - we were fortunate, the animals were pretty active, even in the heat. Good views of the lions and cheetahs. Jungle trek - Tigers were beautiful, gorrilas were very active, had one follow our group for a long ways thru the trail. He would stop every minute or so and turn like he was posing! Wow. Dinosaur - great thrill ride. Fun theme. Passed on river rapids, rode it before, I find it too wet and a bit boring for a "rapids" type ride. Lines were very long for that anyway. TTBAB - always a hoot! I'm amazed by the number of people who ignore the warnings about loud noises and bugs who leave the theatre complaining loudly. Pay Attention! Loved Festival of the Lion King.

The new Dino-Rama area - I liked it! Primeivel Whorl was a lot of fun. A wild mouse on steroids. I can see where it is not for everyone but we all enjoyed it. IMO the whole area is a nice diversion. Overall a very enjoyable day.

Saw CIrque du Soleil - I can only say that all three of us were astounded. This was the highlight of a very fun trip. I have now taken to searching the Cirque web site for the traveling shows!

Overall impression - WDW is still the most wonderful place I know of. I am in my mid 40's, never grew up and I instantly become a kid again the moment I walk thru the gates (and my doesn't mind it either!) The cast members are still the best. The parks are just as clean as they were 10 years ago. Customer service is still king. I have already started bugging my wife about when we can go again! Sorry for the extremely long post. I have a lot more to say (including a couple of days at Universal) but I'll post that later! Thanks for your patience everyone!
:) :) :) :D :D :D

JJHale

Original Poster
Oh, and PIN TRADING ... Aaarrrggghhh! My wife loved it! And it made for a lot of fun but it is TIME CONSUMING! It can eat away your day! More opinions on this later!

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Sounds like you had an amazing time! I have 2 questions....

1) Is the Autotrain really kewl? I'd love to try it, but from where I live it would be almost as far for me to catch the train as opposed to just driving on down to the World!

2) Is anyone else confused by the new P.C. names for the resorts? It took me a bit to realize that you were staying at Dixie Landings! The Bayou's are the best place to stay though!

That's it....any thoughts?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Absolutely Fabulous post!!!! It makes me crave my next trip which is in October, Definitely not soon enough!!! Great Description of P.O.Riverside. I stayed there in May and am going back in October. Now a bit more of TOT for us chickens who have never gottten on it!! I can go on RNRC all day though, go figure. Any idea as to when the drop sequences are the fewest? Like twice would be OK I dont enjoy drop type rides, but Id love to experience all the theming on this ride!! Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

all_good_chic

that was a really good post and now i have a question...
how do you always get the back of thundermountain?
I aways remeber the castmembers telling you were to sit....is there a trick to getting the last car? :)

Upvote 0

JJHale

Original Poster
Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind words. It was a great trip.

AutoTrain - Was actually fun. The worst part was the drive from Baltimore to the station just south of DC. Anyone who lives near here knows how bad the Capital Beltway is, even at mid-day. We met some people who had driven from New York to take the train to Florida. Most people said it was great to avoid the traffic heading south. We'll definitely try it again!

TOT - Not sure how the sequences are programmed (any help from you real castmembers?). It did seem that he later in the day we went the more intense the drops were. We had one ride where it seemed like we had at least three full top to bottom drops. That was the best!

Big Thunder - It helped that we were riding during e-ride. We just got lucky the first couple of times and were the first people on for the next train. They fill from the back to front. Another time we just kind of shall we say "procrastinated" at the head of the line until the train filled up! I do love that attraction - have very fond memories of it from our honeymoon back in '83.

Closed attractions - Maelstrom, Legend of the Lion King, Catastrophe Canyon :cry: , Timekeeper and COP (of course) and a real bummer - Casey's (the hot dog place at the end of Mainstreet) was closed for refurb. I REALLY wanted a hot dog from there one night and was really upset. That place is a tradidtion just like the bakery!

The crane on the castle didn't seem to intrude too badly. It was on the back side while we were there so most of the traditional views were not obstructed.

I envy all of you people going soon! Don't know when we'll be able to go back. Have a daughter going to college in a couple of years. I think my vacation $$$ are going there for a while!:lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

JJHale

Original Poster
Oh and how could I forget? FIGMENT - we all really enjoyed the new JII with Figment. I'll be the first to admit it's not nearly as good as the original (again sentimental honeymoon memories) BUT it is a vast improvement over JIYI. I am a little concerned however, there was never any sign of a line for this attraction, twice we walked up and the cars were not even moving (meaning there was no one inside the attraction) until we got on. Another time we walked in and were seated in the next car that came thru, again no wait and no one behind us. This is a fun attraction and Figment is definitely BACK! Experience it!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

By the way welcome to the Boards there JJHale!!! And thanks for helping me with my TOT fear. I appreciate it. 2 drops I would survive.....7 not a shot!!! I have a bit of a delicate tummy for these things!!! Although NEVER for RNR Coaster!!! I so LOVE that ride!!! Any help from any TOT cast members would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Originally posted by JJHale
TOT - What can you say, the best attraction at WDW. The detail is amazing, I could explore the lobby and library for hours. The ride is fun, the effects amazing. It did seem as if the drop sequence changed from ride to ride (8 or so times over 3 days) Is it a random sequence now?

And the answer is 6 to 8 (Randomized from 33 sequences).

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

6 to 8????? WHAT???OH MY!!! I guess I am sticking with RNRC!!! Last time I was there (May) they drops were only 2 and 4 as one of my other friends, Karen, went on!! They increased it again??

Upvote 0

JJHale

Original Poster
To wannabeBelle - My advice, don't worry abou he drops! Honestly, the drop sequence is over so quickly you won't realize it till it's over. You will however find yourself clapping and screaming for joy!

By the way ... We all loved the seat belt rows! One of the elevators had replaced the back row lap bar with a seat belt. Almost as much fun as being in the middle jump seat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom