Trip Planning

toothfairy

We are staying at Pop Century 8/30 to 9/2. MK will be open early for Extra Magic Hours on 8/31, and I was wondering if we should take advantage of this or go to a different park to avoid crowds? We will not have hopper passes so the park we start in we stay in. The guide books say to avoid the parks with Extra Magic Hours during busy times, since it becomes twice as crowded as the other parks. So since this is our first time staying in the park I don't know what to do. We are also going to AK to ride the new roller Everest, but that will be another day. What has been your experience?
Thanks for your help,
Toothfairy

nyy102

I've heard many people here say to either avoid parks when they have EMH or go there for EMH and spend the day in a different park, but I honestly like the parks better when they have EMH. If you get there once EMH begins, you can get a lot done, especially that late in August, as that is when my family normally goes. Since many kids around the country are already back in school, the parks are definitely less crowded, and you really should be fine either way.

Upvote 0

DisneyLover10

For some reason everytime we go to EMH it's busy. I don't get it. Anyways, i'd say go for it! Try it and see what it's like. If you think it's too busy you can just leave.

Upvote 0

toothfairy

Original Poster
Thank you all for answering. I still haven't made a decision, but should do so soon since it means changing our dinner reservations. I'm hoping the parks are less crowded during that time of year and we can get a lot done in that 1 hr before the "non-guests" come. But if we do go to another park, would MK be just as crowded on a Fri for that's when we would be able to make it? I'll let you know what I've decided. And thanks again for your thoughts.:)

Upvote 0

Lucky

Going from 8/30-9/2, I don't think crowds will be much of a factor except on 9/2 (a Saturday). I suggest avoiding MK that day.

The extra Magic hours are most beneficial during the busier times of year, and for people with hoppers (who can go just for the EMH but go to another park before/after).

Upvote 0

dox

I've been to WDW on Labor Day weekend before and am going again this year. Honestly, last time we went I don't remember any crowds and we more or less ignored the whole EMH, in that we went to whatever park we wanted to on whatever day. But we did avoid MK that Saturday and I will be doing the same this trip as well. I find Epcot to be perfect on the saturday of any holiday weekend.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I agree with the previous poster that suggested to avoid MK on the weekend. That will be your major crowd.

We have always tried to get to the parks at or near opening. (for EMH mornings sometimes before that but usually within a half hour of opening) EMH evenings have never seemed like much of a bargain as far as lines (at busier times of the year).

Anyway, with or without EMH mornings, getting to the parks early, you have easy access to the demand E tickets, easily get FPs for later in the day and can take a more leisurely pace.

Upvote 0

miles1

Just some EMH questions- The WDW website doesn't really say how many extra hours the park is open in the evenings, only a range of 1 to 3 hours. Is there any way to find out in advance? How and when is it decided? Is it based on expected crowd volume?

Upvote 0

Neverwhere

toothfairy said:
We are staying at Pop Century 8/30 to 9/2. MK will be open early for Extra Magic Hours on 8/31, and I was wondering if we should take advantage of this or go to a different park to avoid crowds? We will not have hopper passes so the park we start in we stay in. The guide books say to avoid the parks with Extra Magic Hours during busy times, since it becomes twice as crowded as the other parks. So since this is our first time staying in the park I don't know what to do. We are also going to AK to ride the new roller Everest, but that will be another day. What has been your experience?
Thanks for your help,
Toothfairy

First off, you are going to have a blast staying on WDW property. It's great. The service is excellent and as someone who as stayed at Pop a few times, let me just say you'll love it. :) It's bright and fun.

As for crowds, you are going during a low crowd time anyway, so if it were me and I was traveling with kids who'd want to do Fantasyland rides, I'd probably get there for park EMH opening and head straight to Fantasyland and get those rides done. When EMH is over and the regular criowds pour in, maybe head back to the hotel for a rest and spend the latter part of the day at another park.

I rode EE in Feb. It was awesome too. One of my favorites. But you'll absolutely want to get there early and get a FP. The lines for EE are going to be madness regardless of how crowded the park is, as it's the newest thrill ride in the whole of WDW ;)

Have fun!

Upvote 0

campdisney

If you're traveling with kids and they're old enough to handle staying up late, you might want to try the late EMH instead. My kids had a blast being in the MK after dark, going from ride to ride to ride with barely any lines. Most parents with little ones are back at the hotels at that hour -- so you've got much easier access to the popular Fantasy Land rides. Also we literally walked right on at the Haunted Mansion and at POTC, both family favorites. Now granted, we were there during value season (early February) so I'm sure that made a difference with the crowds -- but my kids still talk about that night (our last night at WDW) as the best one of our whole vacation.

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We always have the Park Hoppers, but I would think you'll feel you've gotten your value no matter what you choose. The problem here is there isn't a clear-cut, easy choice. No one can guarantee how EMH will affect the attendance on that particular day, but I tend to think that as a general rule, it it's busy in one park, it's similarly busy in the other parks. Yes, they vary slightly, but not enough to completely ruin your day in one particular park, while the others are a ghost town.

Upvote 0

abjonnick

I have a 3, 7, 10 year old and we did the late EMH when we went in December. We went to the parks during the day and then came back to the resort. We swam and got a bite to eat and then took a nap. They were able to withstand the late night and they were not cranky and getting on the rides was a breeze. No waiting was an asset because otherwise their excitement would accompany impatience.

Upvote 0

toothfairy

Original Poster
Thank you all I feel like I've finally got a plan. We are going to MK and take advantage of the EMH. :) We will be going with our youngest who is 19 yrs old and is very accepting of wherever we go. I like the thought that Shmmrname shared about not being overly crowded in one park over another. Plus being able to leave and come back will be such a luxury. We are going to eat at the Crystal Palace for dinner and Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch. I'm sooo excited. Do you have any suggestions for our touring during EMH? My niece says try to do Fantasyland first because there is a EMH in the Morning for children and that land gets very crowded. I thought do Tomorrowland first and get a jump on the more popular rides( Space Mt, Buzz lightyear,etc).
Thanks again for your valuable answers.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
toothfairy said:
Thank you all I feel like I've finally got a plan. We are going to MK and take advantage of the EMH. :) We will be going with our youngest who is 19 yrs old and is very accepting of wherever we go. I like the thought that Shmmrname shared about not being overly crowded in one park over another. Plus being able to leave and come back will be such a luxury. We are going to eat at the Crystal Palace for dinner and Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch. I'm sooo excited. Do you have any suggestions for our touring during EMH? My niece says try to do Fantasyland first because there is a EMH in the Morning for children and that land gets very crowded. I thought do Tomorrowland first and get a jump on the more popular rides( Space Mt, Buzz lightyear,etc).
Thanks again for your valuable answers.

For whatever reason, people tend to go to the right first (Tomorrowland then Fantasyland) We always go to the left for Splash and Big Thunder...cut through Adventurland then through the walkway behind Aladdins carpets. After you finish those, you can cross to Space Mountain, Buzz whatever with little wait, then Fantasyland, with less wait after the initial push. Thats what we generally do...except we tend to spend less time in Fantasyland these days.

Upvote 0

toothfairy

Original Poster
I'll look into that way of touring. I think that during the early EMH only Tommorrowland and Fantasyland are open so Splash and Thunder aren't available till later.But they will be the first ones we will head for after EMH. By the way under location you have down Jersey Boy... we are Jersey people too.:) Have a Magic day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom