Trip planning: What books, mags, websites, etc. do you read to get excited about WDW?

lentesta

Premium Member
Hey folks,

A quick question here: what websites, books, magazines, DVDs, etc., do y'all use to get the family (including kids and spouses) excited while planning a trip to WDW? I'm compiling a list of recommendations for the next edition of the Guide.

Thanks!

Len

zandalee

I've been a big Disney fan my whole life - my husband, not so much. (He's learning!)

When I'm planning I always go by the Unofficial Guide and this year augmented that with an edition of Walt Disney World for Couples for some additional ideas for "adult" things to do. Websites are this one and allears for planning

Getting the husband involved is a little harder. I've made a spreadsheet (that he doesn't know about) that lists all of the rides in each park and which film they are based on, even loosely based. Every few weeks I can talk him into watching a Disney film and I pick one of those to build his back-story knowlege. I've noticed that he get's more out of the experience when he is familiar with the characters.

When planning a trip I try to involve him where I can. We will watch the Disney Planning DVD together - in pieces, never all at once. He'll look at all of the resorts and we'll pick one together. The next time we look at it will be for the parks and what is new. When looking at dining, I'll let him read your reviews and then give him a print out of the menus for the restaurants I want to go to and let him make some choices from that. That gives him a sense of ownership in the planning. Then when we are watching a show about Disney on the Travel Channel I'll make sure to point out to him - "hey look! We're going to have dinner there!" Once he sees it, he starts to get excited.

While I don't think he will ever be as obsessed with Disney as I am (which is probably a good thing!) he is coming around. I showed him a you-tube video of the stormtroopers parade at Hollywood studios and apparently we are now going to Star Wars Weekends next year! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Silvermist

For the kids (me too!) -

WDW shows from The Travel Channel
The WDW Planning Video
Exploring the WDW official website

For me -

Reading and re-reading the Unofficial Guide to WDW
Reading trip reports and seeing photos @ my fav websites:
wdwmagic.com
wdwinfo.com
wdwig.com

Reading about the parks, rides and resorts, viewing the pictures on the websites and watching the Travel Channel shows and the planning video really get us excited. For us, planning is a big part of the fun of each trip. We can't go every year so the year we are going, there is huge anticipation.

Maybe such a thing is already out there and I just haven't seen it, but I always thought it would be a great addition to have a book that was focused on the kids "planning" their trip. Something they could look at and enjoy with lots of pictures, kid oriented descriptions and spaces for them to mark which rides, shows, parades, character meals, resorts etc. they most want to see/do.

eta - The videos and photos bring back memories for those who have been before and give a newcomer some idea of how great it's going to be. We're taking some newbies this next time and they really have no idea of what to expect. Hard to believe...I know. Some people have no idea how truly different WDW is from their local Six Flags park. They have no point of reference except their previous theme park experience. Once they get a glimpse into what WDW really is, they usually are hooked! Photos of scenes from inside the rides/attractions as well as photos that show the beauty of the parades, shows (Fantasmic!, Illuminations, etc.) seem to really generate a lot of excitement. What always does it for me too is the music being included in the videos. When I hear the classic songs, hear the Spectro music, etc. I get that Disney "feeling" every time.

Upvote 0

rainfully

Thanks folks!

If you're reading the Birnbaum Official Guide to WDW, what is it about the photos that you find most appealing? I know that's a very subjective question, but if you have examples of photos that, you know, just jump out at you or give you goosebumps, what are those photos, and why does it thrill you?

A few folks have mentioned the Disney planning DVD. Do you watch it with your kids? If so, what do you think is the appeal of the DVD to them?

Again, thanks very much for the help.

Len

When I was little I liked Birgnbaum's better because it had the pictures and pretty colors. :lol: It didn't matter what the pictures were just as long as they were there. (I'm talking the 1987 guide... i haven't even seen one since... it's been Unnoficial ever since then)

Again with the DVD... back then the VHS's REALLY got me going... it was just exciting with the music and the images of WDW to get me excited. I still love watching the old ones. :lol:

Upvote 0

slooger99

I love to play with WDW Explorer, this website, Disneyworldtrivia.com, allears, and just playing family Disney games. Favorite game is someone picks something you find in a WDW ride and the first person to guess where to find that "thing" gets a turn.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

I enjoy this site (of course), Mouseplanet and Debs Unofficial. Birnbaums Disney World book because of the bright and colorful pages and the way it is presented in a thorough yet comical manner. :)

Next Trip - January 2009

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Thanks folks!

If you're reading the Birnbaum Official Guide to WDW, what is it about the photos that you find most appealing? I know that's a very subjective question, but if you have examples of photos that, you know, just jump out at you or give you goosebumps, what are those photos, and why does it thrill you?

A few folks have mentioned the Disney planning DVD. Do you watch it with your kids? If so, what do you think is the appeal of the DVD to them?

Again, thanks very much for the help.

Len

Hey Len, I don't need the photos personally, but it's always handy to have a Birnbaum's guide on hand when you are trying to explain things about Disney to a first timer, or to kids.

In my opinion, the Unofficial Guide would be even better if next to each ride description there was a color photo of that ride, and next to each resort description there was a color photo of that resort, and same with the restaurants. I just spent quite a bit of time going through your guide with a first-timer friend of mine and found we had to keep going to Birnbaum's for or All Ears Net for photo references.

I also think it would be handy if there were maybe a few full color pages with the MAIN INFO all in one place...like ticket prices, phone numbers, and such. The things you don't want to have to dig for. One thing about Birnbaum's is with all the colors and pictures its a lot easier to find BASIC information just by flipping through. With the Unofficial Guide you have to use the index.

If somehow the Unofficial Guide could evolve into something that contained both the endless amounts of valuable information that it already does WITH the added bonus of the colors, photos, and easy to read blurbs like Birnbaum's has, it would definitely be the whole package for me and a wonderful resource for sharing with first timers.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Len - The kids watch the Disney Planning DVD themselves. They absolutely love going to WDW, and I haven't converted our trip videos to DVDs. The DVDs make it easy for them to revisit their favorites places.

Upvote 0

ryguy

The kids like seeing the pictures of their favorite rides. My son loves the barnstormer and he always goes to that page first when dealing with Birnbaums. We always stay at different hotels so I usually will show him the picture of the hotel as well as the pool. My 2 year old loves any pictures with characters, its a good way to get the kids used to seeing them before the real deal. For me I like seeing as many pictures of the hotel as possible, thats what's great about allears. You know what they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" and thats certainly true when it comes to travel guides.

Upvote 0

Lucky

Photos are nice, but you can spend a few minutes at the bookstore looking at the photos in the other guide books. When it comes to actually paying real money for a book to have a useful reference on my shelf at home, the Unofficial Guide is far and away the best choice.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

Len,

For my research, I have used touringplans.com, Allears.net, this forum, and the Unofficial Guide.

To get my kids and hubby excited about our January trip, I start the ol' DVR and play Travel Channel shows and bring out the maps I ordered from Disney Destinations (it comes with stickers).

jer

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom