Trip planning: What books, mags, websites, etc. do you read to get excited about WDW?

lentesta

Premium Member
Hey folks,

A quick question here: what websites, books, magazines, DVDs, etc., do y'all use to get the family (including kids and spouses) excited while planning a trip to WDW? I'm compiling a list of recommendations for the next edition of the Guide.

Thanks!

Len

Nemo14

Another vote for the Unofficial Guide - seriously Len - I've been a fan for a long time! :sohappy:

Also, when the kids were younger we used to watch our videos from previous trips or DD always loved watching the Sing-Along tapes.
Now, we just enjoy getting last minute tips from here and MouseEars.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

I seriously love the Unofficial Guide. I buy just about all of the other books even though I don't really like them like I do the Unofficial Guide.
I haven't read the Laughing Place magazine, but it looks exciting.
I like this website and AllEars.
The travel channel always pumps me up for WDW.

Upvote 0

DivineMadness7

This website (of course!), allears, the wdw Live Journal community, google image search (recent searchers: hidden mickeys and restaurants we're going to for the first time), disney movies (have a ton on old school vhs!), look at my wdw scrapbooks, and make a countdown calendar to post on the fridge.

Got "WDW for Dummies" as a gift and it WAS a dummie. Lots of inaccurate/misleading/poorly worded info in it, IMHO. I like the trivia books by Lou Mongello. I bought a page-a-day calendar for 2009 with disney trivia....waiting until january to start reading those pages has been tough! :lol: When I saw it on amazon, I decided to just go ahead and order it before I forgot...and I needed a few more bucks to get to $25 order to get "free super saver shipping" they always get me with that :lol:

Upvote 0

GenerationX

Len - You know I'm a huge fan of the Unofficial Guide, as I've stated in many threads here. Your guide is the best, bar none.

Aside from this outstanding site, I also visit allearsnet on occasion.

To get the family excited, I get the freebie maps and trip planning DVDs from Disney. Also, I grab extra park maps while I'm at WDW to keep around the house.

Upvote 0

Raven66

Love the Unofficial Guide. I bought it this year even tho we aren't going to WDW.

I always look at this web site and Allears.

And of course the planning DVD's and Disney movies.

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I listen to Len's podcast. ;)

Seriously, I do listen to the WDWToday podcast (I've learned several things too). I also tend to visit AllEarsNet, this site, MouseSavers and, of course, I use The Unofficial Guide.

Edit: I totally forgot to put down TouringPlans.

Upvote 0

roselindsey

I get orlando attractions magazine, passporter, unofficial guide at home. On line I do this site, allears.net, touring plans, disboards, mousepanet and mousesavers. I also got the disney dvd, custom maps on disney site and the guide to the magic for each of my three dgks.:lol:

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
You've got kind of a biased audience here. :lol:

Unofficial Guide and WDWMagic are all I need. :D Though admittedly, I'll sneak over to allearsnet.com to look at pictures of the resorts and I also pick up a Birnbaum's for the kids.

Upvote 0

ryguy

Trip planning is my favorite aspect of our trip.
As the primary planner I find the unofficial guide, mousesavers, allears.net, Touring plans and wdwmagic.com the best sites.
My children who are under 5 like Birnbaums for kids and adults because of the pictures.
My wife likes allears.net we have children with food allergies so allears provides a lot of info on the topic. She also likes the reviews.

Hope that helps :wave:

Upvote 0

magicman1950

Hi Len,
While I've been to WDW dozens of times, I'm new to this site and your Unofficial Guide. In the past I've read Burnbaum, etc. but I can't wait for my next trip because it will be the first time I'll feel really prepared! I'd recommend your book and this site to anyone (WDW multi-timers as well as WDW virgins) as their planning guides.
Paul

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks folks!

If you're reading the Birnbaum Official Guide to WDW, what is it about the photos that you find most appealing? I know that's a very subjective question, but if you have examples of photos that, you know, just jump out at you or give you goosebumps, what are those photos, and why does it thrill you?

A few folks have mentioned the Disney planning DVD. Do you watch it with your kids? If so, what do you think is the appeal of the DVD to them?

Again, thanks very much for the help.

Len

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

Len, thought I'd throw my answers out there...

Websites: Of course this one...and allearsnet. Those are really my main two. I search others periodically, but those are the ones I really come to when I have a question.

Books: Unofficial Guide and Birnbaums. I don't exactly know what about the pictures appeal to me...I think it's more because it's a fun/lighthearted look at Disney rather than "The Bible" of Disney. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...since I read both). You can get your information quickly and it's not all words, words, words. It's broken up with the pictures and colors and everything...which helps a lot. And of course, pictures can take you back to a place you love so much.

DVDs: I watch the Disney official DVDs constantly when I'm planning a trip to psych myself up. (Not that that it takes much!) I don't have kids...but I think the appeal to these is that you can see what the rides look like AND my own personal favorite DVD was the Happiest Celebration On Earth one...so I liked that one b/c you actually got to see people experiencing the rides and simply having fun at Disney. It makes it easy to imagine yourself doing all kinds of fun and crazy stuff on your vacation.

Podcasts: WDWToday, WDW Radio Show and Be Our Guest Podcast. (I'm partial to that one though...:lookaroun ) My husband and I listen to these podcasts all the time to get us (or keep us) excited.

Upvote 0

Since1976

The Unofficial Guide is a great thick book chock full of info, and I've enjoyed getting each edition.

I would also highly recommend The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World 2008. It's relatively thin, yet somehow it is just as useful as The Unofficial Guide (and in some cases, even moreso -- there's a big section on Hidden Mickeys). It also has the added bonus of over 400 beautiful photos taken by one of the authors (it's a husband and wife team). The main thing lacking in this book are survey reviews of each attraction / restaurant. You're mainly going on the opinions of the authors. That quibble aside, I think they did a wonderful job packing so much useful info into such a small book.

Both The Unofficial Guide and The Complete Guide make for good reading, even if you've just come back from a trip to WDW and aren't planning another one for a while.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom