trip planning questions

rctfan

hi everyone,
The time has come ! I will arrive at Orlando on Sunday evening for a two-weeks trip in all theme parks (I hope my plane won't be delayed because of hurricane Jeanne, it comes from Chicago). I would like to planify my trip the best as possible, so I have a few questions for experts :

-Are the parks more crowded during the week-ends (Sat. & Sun.) ?
-If yes, do you think it's a good idea to go to waterparks during the week-end ?
-Are there specific rides where bags are forbidden ?
-In Kali River Rapids, is there a safe place where I can put my bag with my digital camera inside ? (I don't want it to be wet)
-Same question for water rides at Seaworld, IOA & BGT (if you know)
-Where can i find (on the web) a complete map of all Disney transportation between parks ? (I won't have a car and i'm not in a Disney hotel)
-How long is the transfer between MK and EPCOT (with monorail), and between MK and AK

thank you in advance !
(I hope my english's not too bad)

TheDisneyGirl02

rctfan said:
-If yes, do you think it's a good idea to go to waterparks during the week-end ?
-In Kali River Rapids, is there a safe place where I can put my bag with my digital camera inside ? (I don't want it to be wet)
-Where can i find (on the web) a complete map of all Disney transportation between parks ? (I won't have a car and i'm not in a Disney hotel)
-How long is the transfer between MK and EPCOT (with monorail), and between MK and AK
QUOTE]
OK...let's start at the beginning (a very good place to start!)

The parks are more crowded on weekends in my experience. But if you go at this time of year, the crowds on the weekends will be a lot less than they would be if you'd go in the middle of the summer.

As far as I know, there are no rides where bags are forbidden.

You can put your bag in the middle of the raft on Kali, but I can't promise that it won't get wet...

I know at IOA, you will get soaked on Dudley Due Right and Popeye...Jurassic Park not as much...but I think there are lockers there. I don't know about Sea World though.

If you not at a Disney hotel, I'd suggest contacting your hotel directly to see if there is transportation and how often it is provided.

MK to Epcot is maybe 10 to 15 minutes tops. MK to DAK is longer...like at least 20 minutes depending on traffic and when the bus arrives.

Have a great trip! Hope this helped a bit!

TheDisneyGirl02

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Welcome to the boards

rctfan said:
hi everyone,
The time has come ! I will arrive at Orlando on Sunday evening for a two-weeks trip in all theme parks (I hope my plane won't be delayed because of hurricane Jeanne, it comes from Chicago). I would like to planify my trip the best as possible, so I have a few questions for experts :

thank you in advance !
(I hope my english's not too bad)

First of all, welcome to the boards, and your english is not bad at all.

In regards to the park attendance, the theme parks (mainly Magic Kingdom) tend to be a little busier during the weekends due to the local Floridians visiting. That stat came from Birnbaum's official guide to WDW - 2004.

I am not really sure about the water parks. Sounds like a great idea, but it depends on the weather (obviously). Animal Kingdom & Epcot may be an alternative to go during the busy times.

I don't remember getting excessively wet while on Kali River Rapids. However, I have seen people get drenched. I guess it is all chance. I would definitely put your digital camera in a zip-lock bag or plastic bag of some sort. I wouldn't want to take a chance.

The transfers between Epcot and Magic Kingdom are relatively short. However, the bus transfer between the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom is about 25 minutes. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom lodge during our stay and I was definitely interested on how much time it takes to get to each place from the resort.

I hope you have a great trip. Just remember, be extremely flexible and take your time at each park.

We have 24 more days until our trip... :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

The parks are DEFINITELY more crowded on the weekends. Keep in mind too, you're going at a slower time of the year, so lines during the week will be short anyway. So the weekends will certianly seem alot busier.

Hmm...Tough call on the waterparks. They're not exactly a blast either during very crowded times. And remember - It's still very warm in Florida.

Someone else suggested going to Epcot on the weekend. Good idea. Epcot is well sprawled out and big enough that no one area usually gets too congested like the Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom to Epcot on monorail is about 10 minutes.

Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom is about 20 minutes bus.

As for staying off property, previous poster was correct - You'd have to check with your hotel.

Have fun.

Upvote 0

rctfan

Original Poster
nicholas said:
Hey there! I arrive Sunday as well. What resort are you staying at? I'm at POP. Maybe we'll run into each other. :wave:

actually, I'll be at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee, on Hwy 192 (This hotel has free shuttles to all parks in Orlando)

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Welcome to the boards, hopefully you will stay with us after your trip.
Your English is better than many of us here...wouldn't have known it as a second language if you didn't point it out.

I think your questions have been pretty well answered, but possibly I have a few additions.
1) Do bring zip lock bags to keep items dry on various rides.
2) Bag storage...depends on the size of the bag. Even with the most aggressive rides like Rock and Roller Coaster, you can hold a small size bag in your lap. I would suggest finding the locations of storage lockers in each park. That may make things easier unless you have a number of essentials to keep with you.
3) The only transportation maps that I know of are available at the Disney resort hotels. Time estimates given for the two destinations you asked about are good ones
4) Park attendance, even on weekends varies by park. I would suggest avoiding MK on Saturday, and to a lesser degree on Sunday if you want to avoid crowds.
The published rule of attendance is as follows (although this time of year, no day should be too bad in any park)
"During regular attendance periods, our parks tend to be the busiest on the following days:

Magic Kingdom: Monday, Thursday, and Saturday

Epcot: Tuesday and Friday

Disney-MGM Studios: Sunday and Wednesday

Disney's Animal Kingdom: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday"

As for water parks, all should be OK, I would suggest you plan on being there early on the weekends just in case.

A good source for some other general information can be found at www.allearsnet.com. I also highly recommend that site to help in planning meals as sample menu's from most locations are provided.

Enjoy, and hopefully hurricanes are done visiting Florida for a while!

Upvote 0

Mom's the word

Hey, I will be arriving next week myself! As to the bag thing I don't know how much you have to have with you but I have found the smaller the bag I am carrying the better. When I used to have to carry a diaper bag I found it very tiring by the end of the day. We used to rent a locker for most of our stuff and go as light as possible, as long a you don't need to run back there all day long for essentials it can give your neck and shoulders a real break. On Kali River Rapids I would go with the waterproof Ziploc, that ride can get very wet and even using the designated bag space might be a risk with a digital camera.

ClemsonTigger, very helpful attendance info, may use it myself. My brother has an itinerary and insists on MK on his first Saturday there, DH and I may be sneaking over to Epcot, I've found that to be a good bet when MK is very busy. Here's to a great vacation. :)

Upvote 0

saltmom1

Bags are not allowed on any rides in Typhoon Lagoon, I don't believe. There are lockers available for rent. One suggestion if you are going to Typhoon Lagoon : Wear water shoes. We all ended up going barefoot because there is nowhere to put your shoes on the rides, although we did rent a locker. A small one will fit clothes, etc for 4 people and is $7, including a $2 deposit which you get back when you return the key. They also sell a hard plastic rectangular case to fir $$ , keys and other small items for about $5.You are not allowed to bring any bags on Journey to Atlantis in Sea World.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom