Trip planning advice needed

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
We are planning a huge family trip to WDW for New Year’s 2019 (Dec 28- Jan 1) It’s a bucket list item for us. This year my kids have been really into Harry Potter so my husband and I are considering starting our trip at Universal. I’ve been pricing out the trip and trying to decide how many days we really need. We have 2 kids who will be 6 and 8. The 8 year old hates thrill rides. She still hasn’t forgiven us for taking her on Splash Mountain years ago. The 6 year old is a thrill seeker and will try anything once. My debate is do we go Dec. 24- 28 which has a deal for length of stay or would Dec. 26-28 be enough Universal time for us? Any insights would be awesome. We’ve been to WDW a bunch but none of us have ever done universal other than dinner at what I think was Citywalk 15 years ago!

Rob562

If you're not doing the Volcano Bay water park *and* you're staying at one of the three hotels that give you unlimited Express Passes (Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portofino) then you can probably see everything at least once and your favorites multiple times in three days. If you don't have Express Passes, the more time you have to dedicate to the parks, the better.

We were able to ride everything in the parks at least once back in November over two days with Unlimited Express, but that was with a crowd level of about 6. Christmas Week will be 10's every day.

Oh, and if your elder child doesn't get into thrill rides, they're going to be a bit disappointed with Potter since the two headliner attractions (Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts) are both more intense than Splash Mountain.

-Rob

Last edited:

IAmFloridaBorn

Short and sweet, you're looking at the busiest time of the year for both resorts. I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but can tell you one day isn't enough to explore all the offerings but one day is enough to do the 3 attractions (4 if you count flying Unicorn) and see the restaurants. But please please please understand it will be shoulder to shoulder I smell your fat you smell mine, crowded.

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. We definitely know it will be crowded. We’ve done Magic Kingdom for 4th of July so we’ve gotten close to these kinds of crowd levels. We don’t expect to “do it all” but getting to experience the parks at the holidays should be fun for us. I’m leaning toward doing the longer trip so we have more time so we take some of the pressure off. Thanks again!

macefamily

If your six year old thrill seeker doesn't meet the minimum height requirements, here's a tip. One year, my youngest didn't meet the minimums for some of the rides that his older brother and sister could ride. We bought him a thick-soled pair of sneakers; I believe they were Sketchers. When we got into the lines for rides, we would then add a thick, dense piece of foam into the heel of my son's sneakers to add another half inch to his height. He got onto all of the rides.
As far as your visit dates, it sounds like you're prepared. To be honest, I couldn't do it. I was frustrated in early December when the crowds were a little more than mediocre. Good luck to you and your family. I hope your trip is very memorable.

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
If your six year old thrill seeker doesn't meet the minimum height requirements, here's a tip. One year, my youngest didn't meet the minimums for some of the rides that his older brother and sister could ride. We bought him a thick-soled pair of sneakers; I believe they were Sketchers. When we got into the lines for rides, we would then add a thick, dense piece of foam into the heel of my son's sneakers to add another half inch to his height. He got onto all of the rides.
As far as your visit dates, it sounds like you're prepared. To be honest, I couldn't do it. I was frustrated in early December when the crowds were a little more than mediocre. Good luck to you and your family. I hope your trip is very memorable.
Thanks for the tip! We are crazy people for trying this week but that’s life when you are a teacher 😊

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
Escape from Gringotts isn't more intense then Splash mountain in my opinion. In fact I think it's pretty tame.

I would check out the minimum heights for the Universal rides, many of them are over 50 inches. All I know is I had to wait till my kids were tall enough for Universal, think they were 9 and 10?

You're going to need two days with or without express passes during the Christmas holiday. Without express passes I think you may need three days to be able to ride things a second or third time. All depends what you can go on height wise?
Thanks for the advice. I think you’re right we need to do the 3 day passes. Hopefully the family won’t be too mad that we are bailing on Christmas this year.
My kids are super tall. My almost 6 year old is already 48 inches so I think he will be able to ride the Harry Potter stuff. I’ll have to watch ride videos of it all to see if my 8 year old can handle it. She’s pretty timid but she’s a true Disney-nerd kid and is happy waiting in lines to check out the themeing so she will be happy just seeing the shops and things.

2Jeremy2

I want to recommend that you take your kids to Olivander's for the wand-selection mini show. I preferred the show at Diagon Alley to the one at Hogsmeade, but in essence they are the same. At 6 years and 8 years old, they are a great age to be swept up in the magic of that experience. This is also an experience that won't be a scary ride for your kids, and if you decide to get an interactive wand, there is much to explore and many spells to practice. It is quite fun. And you can get a butterbeer, or other drink, and explore. The rides are fun in both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, but even if you don't ride them, there is still so much to experience. The shows are good, the walk-through of Hogwarts castle is also amazing, even if you opt out of the Forbidden Journey ride (which I do because I get motion-sickness on that ride). I hope you enjoy it!

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
I want to recommend that you take your kids to Olivander's for the wand-selection mini show. I preferred the show at Diagon Alley to the one at Hogsmeade, but in essence they are the same. At 6 years and 8 years old, they are a great age to be swept up in the magic of that experience. This is also an experience that won't be a scary ride for your kids, and if you decide to get an interactive wand, there is much to explore and many spells to practice. It is quite fun. And you can get a butterbeer, or other drink, and explore. The rides are fun in both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, but even if you don't ride them, there is still so much to experience. The shows are good, the walk-through of Hogwarts castle is also amazing, even if you opt out of the Forbidden Journey ride (which I do because I get motion-sickness on that ride). I hope you enjoy it!
Awesome!! This is exactly the type of thing we enjoy!! I’m really excited to just see what Universal has done with this theming. I cannot wait to drink a butterbeer and explore. We will definitely have her walk through the queue to see all the detail. Thanks so much for the ideas.

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
We booked our trip!! We will be at the new hotel from Dec. 24- Dec. 28. My kids are super excited. My husband is glad that we can pace ourselves with 3 park days to explore. Then we will be onto Disney until New Year’s Day. I cannot wait to be in the insanity of it all 😊

JoeCamel

We booked our trip!! We will be at the new hotel from Dec. 24- Dec. 28. My kids are super excited. My husband is glad that we can pace ourselves with 3 park days to explore. Then we will be onto Disney until New Year’s Day. I cannot wait to be in the insanity of it all 😊
Iff you like Olivanders be sure to catch the shows in Carkit Market in Diagon Alley. They are very well done and the Christmas versions this year were outstanding.

Megbutnotmegan

Original Poster
The Potter attracts are very good to just wander around and I second the wands. People dress up in the Potter robes with wands etc. Olivanders is worth the wait, the kids will enjoy that for sure if they are Potter fans. If they get picked specifically they will really like it.

You need a park hopper pass to ride the train. The upside is the train is kind of cool, will get you back and forth to each park also it is different in both directions. Down side is the line will be long. I'm not sure I would spend the money on a park hopper, I never have but now I have annual passes so it doesn't matter.

Many people with kids miss the Curious George area with the air canons that shoot foam balls. Another attractions kids will enjoy. You walk pass Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse coaster (kid friendly) then pass the water canon area, go down the sides inside and you won't get hit with water. At the end is a two story building. So many people do not realize that is there. https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/resort-maps/index.html

BTW My pick for a hotel if you are staying at Universal is the Portofino. Those come with express passes if you stay there. Sometimes it's cheaper to get Universal Annual Passes because the room rates are very good if you have an AP. You figure out 3 days of park tickets plus a room for three night and add in express passes verses buying AP's and stay at a hotel that gives you express passes. It's cheaper with kids to go the AP route but I have no idea if they would have AP rooms available during Christmas week?
Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I’m such a Disney planner but I’m completely clueless about Universal! I definitely think we will wait in line for the train because my 8 year old can handle that and honestly that’s probably the only Potter ride for her. I didn’t even know about the Curious George stuff! That sounds super fun. As of now we are doing the new hotel so no express passes for us. We did do trip insurance so if I find a better deal I can change it. So I’ll continue my research! Thanks again! I really appreciate everyone helping out a Universal newbie!

Brainleech419

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. I’m such a Disney planner but I’m completely clueless about Universal! I definitely think we will wait in line for the train because my 8 year old can handle that and honestly that’s probably the only Potter ride for her. I didn’t even know about the Curious George stuff! That sounds super fun. As of now we are doing the new hotel so no express passes for us. We did do trip insurance so if I find a better deal I can change it. So I’ll continue my research! Thanks again! I really appreciate everyone helping out a Universal newbie!

Kid zone might be closed by then. to make way for nintendo (maybe)? the dr zeus land is also cool

JoeCamel

As I posted at the beginning if you want to do planning head over to Orlando Informer, that is what they do!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thanks for the responses. We definitely know it will be crowded. We’ve done Magic Kingdom for 4th of July so we’ve gotten close to these kinds of crowd levels. We don’t expect to “do it all” but getting to experience the parks at the holidays should be fun for us. I’m leaning toward doing the longer trip so we have more time so we take some of the pressure off. Thanks again!

4th of July is nothing like 12/24-1/2...be warned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom