Trending blog post: "What it's really like working at Walt Disney World"

Daniel Johnson

The article, though maybe accurate in terms of authenticity of the stories, it seems like he is overly disgruntled. It's a customer service job, if you think That you won't encounter 50% respectable customers and 50% over the top, entitled, angry, down right hateful, and possibly violent (either verbally or physcally) You need to research the career path you are pursuing. Disney's blind eye to the way the cast members are treated isn't correct,.but, as a former worker of countless businesses in the customers service industry, it's hardly a one company issue. I was a manager at Sam's club for two years. I HAD to give someone a brand new set of tires for their car because they thought the service member in the tire and battery center was acting aggressively towards them when they asked for a flat be fixed on their bald tires. There was no witness to attest to the actions or video/audio evidence. Its was written in the manager manuals that if a customer goes as far to seek legal action against the store you must call a regional manager. Mine told me to apologize and offer them a new set of tires. It was all,I could do not to yell at the customer...but, I needed that job, and had planned to move up in the company. Three months later my job was dissolved and split up between two other managers because of budget cuts at our store.

You buy the ticket and take the ride....it's customer service....it's the way it goes.

Quinnmac000

This entire thread shows what's wrong with America. You are complaining about someone with actual initiative to go to work and complaining and saying its his own fault when there are even more people who stay home on welfare and live off the taxpayers dollars.

Secondly, this guy is 23 years old. He is young, he is experiencing life and learning how he is going. What job skills and education do you expect him to have? Even if he was still in school, he would not have been finishing any advanced level education for another year. And didn't most of you also reprimand the kid who was in school and had a paper due but due to the fact Disney said that his hours had to extend over his stated time, it was his fault even though he was going to school to BETTER himself like you all say you did.

Stop attacking people's degrees. If everyone was lawyers or in fiance, it would make those jobs useless same thing if everyone went to law school etc. Some of the world's richest people didn't have specialized degrees so that argument aka Robert Iger who I'm sure you all know who he is. Just like some people I know who have STEM degrees can't get jobs even though thats a in demand career field and graduated from MIT and CAL Tech.

Iger completed his undergraduate studies at Ithaca College where he graduated magna laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Television & Radio from Ithaca's Roy H. Park School of Communications

Just because your own personal experiences lead one way someone else will have the exact opposite so stop acting as if everything is black and white.

copcarguyp71

So I guess when someone has a different opinion you all just gang up on them. I won't be coming on these boards ever again, you are all such bullies. Just because I spelt his name wrong does not mean I'm an idiot. I hope you all feel really good about yourselves, picking on people who have differing opinions

Trust me...I agree. But leaving is not the answer. Knowing who to respond to and who to ignore is a conditioned response that takes a little time to figure out. Also...using the "ignore member" function can go a long way towards your own sanity as well as making them look the fool when they try to instigate and you simply never respond. The schoolyard bully will move on when they see that they cannot get your goat. After six years here trust me, it is worth it for the good discussions that do take place.

stevehousse

This entire thread shows what's wrong with America. You are complaining about someone with actual initiative to go to work and complaining and saying its his own fault when there are even more people who stay home on welfare and live off the taxpayers dollars.

Secondly, this guy is 23 years old. He is young, he is experiencing life and learning how he is going. What job skills and education do you expect him to have? Even if he was still in school, he would not have been finishing any advanced level education for another year. And didn't most of you also reprimand the kid who was in school and had a paper due but due to the fact Disney said that his hours had to extend over his stated time, it was his fault even though he was going to school to BETTER himself like you all say you did.

Stop attacking people's degrees. If everyone was lawyers or in fiance, it would make those jobs useless same thing if everyone went to law school etc. Some of the world's richest people didn't have specialized degrees so that argument aka Robert Iger who I'm sure you all know who he is. Just like some people I know who have STEM degrees can't get jobs even though thats a in demand career field and graduated from MIT and CAL Tech.

Just because your own personal experiences lead one way someone else will have the exact opposite so stop acting as if everything is black and white.
Thank u for your response. I'm glad at least some people get it...there's just certain folks who can't stand to hear anything negative about their beloved mouse...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No, I wouldn't. I've chosen another career path. And if employees begin leaving in droves due to the wages and treatment then Disney will open their eyes and change. But as long as people are willing to work, and guests are willing to spend then I think it will continue.

Yep. That's how business works. And if Disney ups their prices to where my perceived value is not worth what I've paid I choose to take my business elsewhere. This guy's perceived value of his labor is higher than what HE HAS CHOSEN to work for. At that point he needs to move on.

Nope. Not berating him for guest interactions. Many guests are scumbags, I've seen it too. But he needs to realize that **** is going to happen and learn how to deal with it. If he can't, or it's too overwhelming he needs to re-examine his chosen job.

As have mine. And if this guy was a typical CM he probably would've been positive and helpful a majority of the time as well. Not saying he's a bad person.

Agree 100%. The customer is not always right. As a manager that has some interaction with internal customers I realize this. I don't think I defended his managers anywhere in my statement, so please don't add words or inference to what I wrote.

Gee, your post dumped on the guy and questioned his rationale for the blog. "...he's sounds like he's also part of the entitlement problem". Nope, I think like many of us he had this vision of Disney that didn't match with corporate reality, but a vision Disney pushes to both visitors and prospective employees. "..has an axe to grind...how much was embellished here.." Yes, that's how business works, having spent over 40 years in various industries. HOWEVER, in the service industry, your front line staff, the ones that interact with your customers, are the ones that create that image of the company for customers/stakeholders, etc. That is why it is critical to recruit, train and RETAIN quality employees. And essential to retaining them is managerial support and salary. I've talked to kids in the College Program. This is their dream job. But sadly, many of them leave because reality was much harsher than the dream. One can sometimes accept a lower salary, if the other non-tangible benefits are good. Read what other former CMs have said in support of his blog. Disney wants to create this magical place for us visitors; too bad it doesn't seem to want to do the same for front-line staff....

LAKid53

Premium Member
The article, though maybe accurate in terms of authenticity of the stories, it seems like he is overly disgruntled. It's a customer service job, if you think That you won't encounter 50% respectable customers and 50% over the top, entitled, angry, down right hateful, and possibly violent (either verbally or physcally) You need to research the career path you are pursuing. Disney's blind eye to the way the cast members are treated isn't correct,.but, as a former worker of countless businesses in the customers service industry, it's hardly a one company issue. I was a manager at Sam's club for two years. I HAD to give someone a brand new set of tires for their car because they thought the service member in the tire and battery center was acting aggressively towards them when they asked for a flat be fixed on their bald tires. There was no witness to attest to the actions or video/audio evidence. Its was written in the manager manuals that if a customer goes as far to seek legal action against the store you must call a regional manager. Mine told me to apologize and offer them a new set of tires. It was all,I could do not to yell at the customer...but, I needed that job, and had planned to move up in the company. Three months later my job was dissolved and split up between two other managers because of budget cuts at our store.

You buy the ticket and take the ride....it's customer service....it's the way it goes.

However, Disney, unlike Sam's, is marketing this special magical "product" to its customers. So, unless you've worked as a CM, you cannot state with certainty that "Disney's blind eye to the way cast members are treated isn't correct..". Nor can I. But several former cast members who have replied on this thread concur with the blogger. Yeah, I've worked retail and had to deal with those types of customers. However, I also knew that when someone tried to return an article of children's clothing with a Sears label, I wouldn't get in trouble when I said, sorry, no can do....

The real problem? The perception of litigation.

yensid67

I, too am a former Cast Member of Epcot and worked as a JC Skipper, too! The article is accurate to what it is like to work for Disney. I worked there in 1998-1999 so the show quality was still GOOD, but after I came home and kept up with everything Disney, even to this day, I see how the show quality has really diminished to almost laughable! I can see more and more how Disney execs are only worried about making that quick buck, and not UPPING the attractions. My managers were KIDS(18-20) mostly were on a power high being in a position like that at an early age...I think that management should be seasoned Disney workers that are true to the company backstory. I could post comments like the OP and be justified, but I was working for Disney a dream I had for a long time. I know telling those corny jokes on the JC every 10 minutes for 8 hours a day was not that much fun, but that's when the actor part of me came out to shine!! When I was down and depressed about the role I was in, I quickly reminded myself that most of these families had spent YEARS to save to come to the happiest place on earth for a week and I was in charge of making magical memories that would last a lifetime. And the pay does discourage you when you find out that you don't get the hours you were promised and even if you got 50+ hours a week, you still could not live on your own for that! Most CM's are shacked up with other CM's. But I will always cherish my time working for Mickey, it was the best time in my life. I guess you have to be in a customer service state of mind to perform a job like that and still like it years after! I still plan trips...that's the best part of going!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I, too am a former Cast Member of Epcot and worked as a JC Skipper, too! The article is accurate to what it is like to work for Disney. I worked there in 1998-1999 so the show quality was still GOOD, but after I came home and kept up with everything Disney, even to this day, I see how the show quality has really diminished to almost laughable! I can see more and more how Disney execs are only worried about making that quick buck, and not UPPING the attractions. My managers were KIDS(18-20) mostly were on a power high being in a position like that at an early age...I think that management should be seasoned Disney workers that are true to the company backstory. I could post comments like the OP and be justified, but I was working for Disney a dream I had for a long time. I know telling those corny jokes on the JC every 10 minutes for 8 hours a day was not that much fun, but that's when the actor part of me came out to shine!! When I was down and depressed about the role I was in, I quickly reminded myself that most of these families had spent YEARS to save to come to the happiest place on earth for a week and I was in charge of making magical memories that would last a lifetime. And the pay does discourage you when you find out that you don't get the hours you were promised and even if you got 50+ hours a week, you still could not live on your own for that! Most CM's are shacked up with other CM's. But I will always cherish my time working for Mickey, it was the best time in my life. I guess you have to be in a customer service state of mind to perform a job like that and still like it years after! I still plan trips...that's the best part of going!

See, folks, these are the cast members we love and Disney should cherish and retain! I love the skippers' corny jokes on JC.

I could teach a class on the problems with corporate America and the short term gains Wall Street mind set most CEOs demonstrate.

Chef Mickey

Not every argument has to be trumped by pointing out some bigger problem. I could then say your welfare/lazy problem is trumped by starving children in Africa or human trafficking in Asia. Bottom line with that is that Americans really have nothing to complain about and someone abroad would love to be "mistreated" at Disney like this guy. Travel the world and you'll see what a tough life really means.

Each problem is as relevant and as important as the confines of the discussion. We all understand there are bigger problems than this guy complaining about a corporate giant mistreating his employees. Some of us are just discussing the topic at hand and pointing out what's wrong with his rant. As someone with a little economics and finance knowledge, I know welfare is one of the biggest problems with America, but that's a different discussion.

No one "attacked" the degrees of anyone. It's a fact that students are paying way too much money for degrees that absolutely will not give them the best chance to compete for the highest earning jobs. There is tons of research on this. Of course we need arts degrees, but students defaulting to these degrees will have a harder time finding jobs that command higher salaries and finding a job period. Working as a basic CM at Disney is NOT a career and the person doing the job will never be compensated as such. That's not a Disney problem...it's a fact of all transitional, seasonal, and temporary employment at large corporations. You'll find they simply pay what the market will bear. Is it fair? No, but it's reality and this kid will realize it looking back. Disney isn't the big bad wolf and his experience is so typical, it's almost funny.

SSH

"we have the power (and the obligation) to stand up for the CM, in turn praising their actions. Because then the manager will have no choice but to "reward" those who disapprove of the other guest's actions. If enough of us do so, we may be able to change the culture from rewarding bad behaviour, to rewarding good behaviour."

To me, what TerminatedWeasel says is the #1 thing of value from this discussion - forget about whether this particular CM had an axe to grind, was legit or somewhere in between. Each of us can make such a huge difference starting the very next time we're in the parks by remembering this thread and supporting a deserving CM. I hate seeing guests rewarded for being nasty - CMs don't deserve it; have zero power to do anything if they need their job; and it's unfair to us that these guests get perks for being a jerk. (Perks for Jerks? lol)

But even if you feel it's not your problem, consider supporting them from a purely selfish perspective: because it will affect your park experience. Every time a CM is verbally attacked, humiliated without support from their manager or another guest - or watches their manager break the rules for an unreasonable guest they tried to reason with - guess how they're likely to greet YOU - their next guest? Odds are, your encounter won't have much pixie dust. I remember a few rude CMs over the last couple of years. I will bet my unused park hoppers most of them were very nice people ordinarily and had just faced the guest from you know where.

One kind, supportive action from another guest would have turned their day around entirely. Which in turn would affect hundreds more guests. The domino effect is a powerful thing...and works both ways.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
"we have the power (and the obligation) to stand up for the CM, in turn praising their actions. Because then the manager will have no choice but to "reward" those who disapprove of the other guest's actions. If enough of us do so, we may be able to change the culture from rewarding bad behaviour, to rewarding good behaviour."

To me, what TerminatedWeasel says is the #1 thing of value from this discussion - forget about whether this particular CM had an axe to grind, was legit or somewhere in between. Each of us can make such a huge difference starting the very next time we're in the parks by remembering this thread and supporting a deserving CM. I hate seeing guests rewarded for being nasty - CMs don't deserve it; have zero power to do anything if they need their job; and it's unfair to us that these guests get perks for being a jerk. (Perks for Jerks? lol)

But even if you feel it's not your problem, consider supporting them from a purely selfish perspective: because it will affect your park experience. Every time a CM is verbally attacked, humiliated without support from their manager or another guest - or watches their manager break the rules for an unreasonable guest they tried to reason with - guess how they're likely to greet YOU - their next guest? Odds are, your encounter won't have much pixie dust. I remember a few rude CMs over the last couple of years. I will bet my unused park hoppers most of them were very nice people ordinarily and had just faced the guest from you know where.

One kind, supportive action from another guest would have turned their day around entirely. Which in turn would affect hundreds more guests. The domino effect is a powerful thing...and works both ways.
It's not often that a post that contains italics, underlined and bolded text makes a lot of sense, but your thoughts outshine the formatting.

Last edited:

natatomic

Can you post a picture of yourself so that way if I ever see you while I'm working at Disney I can give you the biggest hug and a million fastpasses?

yensid67

To the posts that mention the age of OP...I was 33 years old and I would have loved to stay with Disney and made some sort of career out of it. My mother had health problems and had an episode with the heart and wanted her kids back home, so July 1 1999 I reluctantly moved back home at the request of my parents...it was good thing because my mom passed away on Wednesday before Thanksgiving 1999. I don't blame her because family comes first whether its a dream job or not!

JUNGLE CRUISE: For all you who appreciate the fact that the Skippers CONTINUOUSLY crack those corny jokes every 10 minutes for 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week...please let them know before you exit the boats...that will make their day MAGICAL! That goes for every role at Disney Parks, maybe if we show our appreciation by a simple acknowledgement or personal compliment, maybe things will begin to turn around...this sounds like a challenge for another thread...look for it in general thread!

dadddio

... My managers were KIDS(18-20) mostly were on a power high being in a position like that at an early age...I think that management should be seasoned Disney workers that are true to the company backstory.
I think that the best way to get good front line leadership is to promote awesome people from the front line and give them the training and tools to succeed. If that means that young people get promoted, that's awesome. In my opinion, the company does try to give these people training and leadership to help them succeed, but sometimes bad happens.

I imagine that there are loads of times where these people have to jump into an issue and get it 'resolved' very quickly. A successful resolution in those instances is pretty much going to be that the customer stops and moves along so the display that is affecting other guests' experiences ends and any disruption to local operations ceases. This is frequently going to be for the customer to get whatever he wants, even if he's totally and completely wrong. It might also require the CM to bite his tongue so hard that he draws blood. That being said, as long as the original CM didn't really step in it and say something out of line to the customer, no actual disciplinary action should be taken. However, the CM shouldn't expect the manager to necessarily support the CM's actions. The CM's job might be to follow procedures and enforce rules, but the manager's job is to resolve customer conflicts and break those rules as reasonable to maintain guest satisfaction (not just the one making the scene, but also those affected by the scene). A front line employee is often going to see these management decisions as improper and unsupportive. That's just the nature of the beast. A good manager will touch base with the employee later on to commiserate, but if these scenarios present several times every day, those conversations aren't likely to happen.
I could post comments like the OP and be justified, but I was working for Disney a dream I had for a long time. I know telling those corny jokes on the JC every 10 minutes for 8 hours a day was not that much fun, but that's when the actor part of me came out to shine!! When I was down and depressed about the role I was in, I quickly reminded myself that most of these families had spent YEARS to save to come to the happiest place on earth for a week and I was in charge of making magical memories that would last a lifetime. And the pay does discourage you when you find out that you don't get the hours you were promised and even if you got 50+ hours a week, you still could not live on your own for that! Most CM's are shacked up with other CM's. But I will always cherish my time working for Mickey, it was the best time in my life. I guess you have to be in a customer service state of mind to perform a job like that and still like it years after! I still plan trips...that's the best part of going!
It's not just customer service jobs. It's life.

We all get disenchanted, demoralized, and depressed about our situations from time to time. The trick is to not key in on just the bad stuff, but to find those things about the situation that fulfill us.

dadddio

Also may be true but you won't even get a call from my company without an MBA or Finance degree from a top school. You have to somehow get yourself in before you can be successful.
Another thing is how well does the person prepare himself for getting that job beyond the coursework. Too many people think that the degree alone is going to automagically get them a job. While a good degree from a good school helps, a better plan is to get to pick extracurriculars and internships that show you to be an outstanding candidate.

dadddio

No I mean is I would never want to work for a place that looks for people based on the supposed "quality" of their university. Going to an Ivy does not mean you are any more qualified than a person who went to a community college.
It often kind of does mean that very thing. It is a mistake to believe that the quality of the education is the same at your local community college as it is at the leading colleges, in my opinion.
Spending is being cut at most universities, while costs to students continue to rise. It's sad that universities are run like businesses - of course things cost money, but when a vice-chancellor owns two luxury yachts and a house in Hawaii...that's not right, especially when students face a 1K hike in fees so he can have his porsche.
Sometimes, people get paid big money because they are very, very good at their jobs. It's hard for people in 'normal' jobs to understand that some C-level people deserve the big bucks and perks, but that's the way it is. It is simple supply and demand. These individuals are in demand and if they weren't paid 'well', then they would go work for someone who is willing to pay them 'well'.

GrammieBee

Off topic - Loved the International Spy Museum. Fantastic place. Natural History has that great restaurant downstairs.

Also I would agree that the problems & societal observations mentioned in the piece are more indicative and reflective of what American society has become rather than a Disney-centric problem. IMO.

Agreed and also off topic, Isn't the restaurant in the Natural History Museum for Smithsonian members only?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom