Treehouse Villas question

mrtoad

Original Poster
Does anyone know what is happening with the Treehouse Villas. They have been closed for years and are wasting away. Some have taken damage from the huricanes of the past year as you can see from this photo I took 2 weeks ago. The strange thing is if you go past at night on the boat from Port Orleans, there are lights on inside each one.

Don't think I can embed one here, so here is the link

Treehouse Villa Damage

Trishnh

I am pretty sure there was a post on this not too long ago and I believe there is some hang up with the land they are on. Something about the wetlands. Sorry I dont have more/ better info for you. Maybe if you do a search you will find more info. I have always thought the treehouses were so cool and would love to stay there sometime--although I doubt I could afford it. They were quite pricey! :rolleyes:

WDWScottieBoy

I've been wanting to know about those for a while as they are getting to be in really bad shape. I also found it weird that they all had lights on as well.

And that picture, BAD SHOW!

dixiegirl

What happened to the villas is that when they were built it was fine. But a year after they were built the wetlands act came out. They were aloud to continue using them, but they could not build or add anything on to them. Then sometime later a bill was passed that everything had to be handicapped accessable, so since they were not aloud to build on the property, they could not build any ramps or anything, so they had to close them. As far as the lights on at night, they are for security reasons. Hope this answers your question.

Long live DIXIE LANDINGS!!!!! :sohappy:

flyersmv

The hapicapped ramps is that reason why they can not be open but the reason they have not taken them down or anything like that is becuase the trees they are in are endangered trees. I cant remember the name but they are not allowed to even touch the trees

Lauriebar

That is a sad picture. The Treehouses were where I stayed on my first two trips to WDW and I have wonderful memories of our stay there. I don't understand why they aren't just taken apart if they can't be used. Surely it would be better to clear the area up than to just let the houses rot.:(

PhilharMagician

Well if I beleive that the phase 3 build for SSR that was announced last year will be built in part of the Treehouse area.

I also noticed the lights on. I would think that is alot of money to spend just to keep it look lived in. Then leave the trees that fell on them during the hurricanes still there. I am a little confused at this theory. :veryconfu

Pioneer Hall

Unfortunately the Villas are in a very bad situation. They cannot be destroyed because of the land they are on. So if Disney doesn't choose to use them I don't think they can do much. I think that eventually something will come of those villas. I can't imagine they would sit there vacant forever.

mrtoad

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses. It is a shame that it has to be this way. Hopefully someday it will be cleared up.

Ergens2

That is so sad. I remember when there was always a 2 yr wait to get one! We had one when I was 8 and I felt like I was Briar Rose hiding out in the forest. My husband and I were hoping to get one for our honeymoon 2 years ago and I was told by the cm that they were under renovation? How wierd! Can't they just say that they are closed and are not scheduled to reopen?

Shelley :wave:

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Hey DonickCo - I believe you have a layout for the villas there and not the treehouses. At least that sure looks like a villa from what I remember.

celticdog

The federal wetlands act does not apply along manmade waterways. The cast members I spoke with stated that there was a loss of interest in those homes. It's a shame too, those buildings sit right on a golf course and could easily be marketed into a golf vacation package.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
it would probably take more money to repair them then bulldozing them. it is sad, but i think it brings me greater sadness that they are sitting there probably filled with all kinds of vermen falling apart. :rolleyes:

MeTa

I always wondered what they were doing with them too. Being a Old Key Western'er I always drive by and just assumed they wer CM temp. housing or something like that, because I saw cars and busses going in them sometimes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom