Treasure Planet Reviews

wahooskipper

Original Poster
I have read two reviews of Treasure Planet. One in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and one in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Both, unfortunately, were on the negative side. Two stars or less. Of course, I often don't agree with the critics but I am a little concerned.

MKCustodial

Movie Reviews: 'Treasure Planet' (from IMDB)

A.O. Scott in the New York Times dismisses Treasure Planet, based on Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island , as "less an act of homage than a clumsy and cynical bit of piracy, designed to steal time and money from schoolchildren and their harried, Pottered-out parents during this very long holiday weekend." Lou Lumenick of the New York Post calls it "disappointing;" Robert Elder in the Chicago Tribune remarks that it feels "a little distant;" and Bob Strauss in the Los Angeles Daily News comments that "it's one of those Disney adventure cartoons that takes too long getting to anything really exciting - and once there becomes too frenetic to effectively wow." But Stephen Hunter in the Washington Post observes that the movie "answers a question that to my knowledge has never been asked before, possibly because no one cared: What kind of a 30th century would the 18th century make? The issue isn't likely to be on anyone's Must-Figure-Out-Before-Dinner list, but the answer, contained in the new, lovely Disney animated feature, is nevertheless quite interesting: The 18th century makes a splendid 30th century." Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun-Times may write that the sight of pirate ships and galleons sailing through the stars "just doesn't look right," but Ray Conlogue in the Toronto Globe and Mail observes that while such sights may seem "bizarre to the adult mind," they are "actually a charming triumph where its intended under-12 audience is concerned."

Of course, I'll only know in January, that's when it opens down here... :rolleyes:

WDWspider

I was excited about a year and a half when I heard about Treasure Planet, but after Atlantis and these reports... now I will just watch it when it's on DVD and I get the chance.:(

I hope Bears is way way better, I do have high hopes for that, and Lilo and Stitch was very good. So is Disney gonna start a new trend, one bad, one good each year. :p

MKCustodial

Originally posted by spider-man
I was excited about a year and a half when I heard about Treasure Planet, but after Atlantis and these reports... now I will just watch it when it's on DVD and I get the chance.:(

I hope Bears is way way better, I do have high hopes for that, and Lilo and Stitch was very good. So is Disney gonna start a new trend, one bad, one good each year. :p

You said it, those reviews sound an awful lot like Atlantis... :lookaroun

prberk

I agree. I hope not, but I am afraid it will be more like "Atlantis."

In the animated cartoon area, Disney has got to watch the classics again and remind their animators how to soar. I have not seen this yet, so I hold out hope; but I do wonder if they are too busy trying to be hip and cool rather than just good.

Lilo and Stitch was good.

But I still think they need to review classics every now and then, such as Lion King, Beauty, Jungle Book, Pinocchio, Little Mermaid. It really needs to be a film that reaches the broad audience in a great way. Not doing the same thing all the time; just learning from the past why certain things work, and others don't.

Goofster

I think Treasure Planet's animators will soar, especially Glen Keane animating Silver. I love how this movie looks, the absolutely breathtaking Computer animation seems to be added to the Traditional Animation seemlessly. I'm seeing it tonight with my friends. I'll post my review tomorrow, but I'm sure it will be a positive one. Treasure Planet has gotten no negative reviews on movies.com, which makes me think it will probably deliver everywhere Atlantis did not. Not to mention awesome songs from John Rzeznik!! Wow, I can't wait!!!!

MrPromey

http://movies.go.com/movies/T/treasureplanet_2003/index.html

15 different reviews from 15 very different sources so far.. Five are positive and 10 are what this site considers mixed which means you actually have to read the reviews because it is hard to tell otherwise… By and large, all of them seemed positive to me... Some were critical on some minor points (and when I say minor, it includes the Filmcritic.com one who’s quote sounds like the movie’s sunk) but that is about it. Most of the reviewers seemed to like it… Although, in the end what a 30-something critic thinks of it isn’t exactly the defining point of a Disney animated movie now is it? :)

I don’t know how good it is going to do but I have a strong feeling that it will do better than Atlantis. How much better is anyone’s guess but it should be remembered that in the end when costs and profits were tallied, Atlantis was not a money loosing movie for Disney.

WDWspider

Originally posted by MrPromey
http://movies.go.com/movies/T/treasureplanet_2003/index.html

15 different reviews from 15 very different sources so far.. Five are positive and 10 are what this site considers mixed which means you actually have to read the reviews because it is hard to tell otherwise… By and large, all of them seemed positive to me... Some were critical on some minor points (and when I say minor, it includes the Filmcritic.com one who’s quote sounds like the movie’s sunk) but that is about it. Most of the reviewers seemed to like it… Although, in the end what a 30-something critic thinks of it isn’t exactly the defining point of a Disney animated movie now is it? :)

I don’t know how good it is going to do but I have a strong feeling that it will do better than Atlantis. How much better is anyone’s guess but it should be remembered that in the end when costs and profits were tallied, Atlantis was not a money loosing movie for Disney.

Well, one positive Disney has is loyalty, even when they do not hit the right expectations. I will buy the movie (as many others will) just to keep my collection complete. And I'm sure I will like it enough, I have never saw a Disney cartoon that I hated (Rescuers was close). So for other companies it would do a little worse I think because of fan loyalty. Still I agree, it should be better than Atlantis because of a few key elements... a solid story, a fresh aproach, Silver, and the Robot comic relief (forget his name atm).

MerHearted

I just saw Treasure Planet. It exceeded by expectations. It's a really great movie, nothing like Atlantis. A great story and awesome action sequences. It's a bit slow at first but gets really good. A definite thumbs up from me. However, I don't think it will do well in the box office, simply because this film caters to the wrong crowd. It's not really a family film, it's dark and violent. It appeals more to sci-fi fans, but sadly sci-fi fans usually don't turn to Disney for their needs. Quite a shame too, cause it's a great film.

Maerj

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, but after seeing Treasure Planet on the IMAX screen tonight, I just had to sign up.

Don't listen to the critics, this is a great film! I thought that it was fast paced, inventive and very entertaining. The animation was top notch as usual and the computer effects were well done. Treasure Planet is an amazing adventure movie and is "Star Wars mixed with Treasure Island" as the ads say. I am planning on seeing it again before the holiday weekend is over. See it on an IMAX screen if you can.

Every kid who sees this film is going to one his/her own Morphie! I know because I'd love to have one too!

Tigggrl

I chatted with several Guests yesterday who happened to see the movie at the AMC in Downtown Disney here in Cali...the first thing they wanted to know was where the merchandise was!
They ALL loved it and some even called it amazing, a definate must see...I dunno...I will probably see it within the next week or so, or I will wait for Cast previews:)
I wouldnt compare it to Atlantis...it uses some of the same Deep Canvas technology that they used in Tarzan....definately not flat!
I cant wait!
But Lilo and Sitch will be out on Tuesday...THAT I will be in line for....:):sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Goofster

Wow, Treasure Planet was amazing.

Long John Silver is the coolest most awesome animated character ever. Every scene he was in had my eyes staring at him. The soundtrack-WOW- i thought Howard did a great job with Atlantis, but this soundtrack completely blows me away. It's gotta be the greatest score a disney movie's ever had. It sounds like John Williams!!! My only criticism, upon first viewing, it seemed like they used CG animation in a few places they shouldn't have, but aside from that, wOW, great movie!!!

Definitely a must see, if only to see Glen Keane's work on Silver!!
Entertaining, fun, what a ride!!!!
:sohappy: :sohappy:

prberk

Good to hear these positive reviews. It does sound like the sci-fi types might like it but would not be likely to go.

blm07

I never listen to or read any reviews of a movie before I see it, I could care less what everyone else thinks of the movie. I'll probably ask a friend if they were watching it with me if they liked it, but thats about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom