Travelling with my 3 year son

thewdwguru

My wife and I and my son will be going in December. I know all about the baby swap that we can do for rides he cannot ride. But, part of my fun is riding with someone else and seeing the fun they are having. Is riding by yourself fun? Any experience? Tips?

hrmom26

thewdwguru said:
My wife and I and my son will be going in December. I know all about the baby swap that we can do for rides he cannot ride. But, part of my fun is riding with someone else and seeing the fun they are having. Is riding by yourself fun? Any experience? Tips?

sharing the thrill of a scary ride while clutching a loved one is definitely the best, but with the rides at Disney you still have a blast by your self and you can share stories after you both ride. have you thought about asking a family member to go along the trip with you? i took my kids in 2004 and my son was 5 he was and still is small for his age so there were many rides he couldn't go on. but i went with my sister in law and my nephew it allowed me to enjoy the big rides with my daughter and have her watch my son and vise versa if there is a family you are close to it is a great idea to travel together when your kids are small. you can still go off on your own but it helps to have another set of adults when in Disney. hope you have a great time!:D

Upvote 0

Sharon L

We first went when my son was just a couple weeks away from his 4th birthday, and we just didn't go on anything he couldn't. We figured we could always experience those rides together on a future trip. I don't think my husband or I would enjoy going on a ride by ourself.

Upvote 0

Kadee

One of the best times at WDW for me was when I was alone. My DH & DD were off riding a couple of rides that I just could not bring myself to do and I had an hour or so all by myself. I absolutely loved it! I rode some of the tamer rides that they didn't want to go on again. Now, don't get me wrong; I love being with them and riding things with them, but sometimes, alone time is definitely the best.

Upvote 0

MicheleK

I think the parent swap is a great thing. I know riding alone isn't quite as much fun, but, IMO, it's better than not being able to ride at all. I think the idea about taking another adult with you is a good idea, if you have a close friend or family member you get along with (and I mean REALLY get along with lol). Hope you have a wonderful time! :wave:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

I had my younger son with me when we went the first time, 97, 2 1/2. He went on Pirates, and the HM next to me. Of course he jumped at times but never screamed or for that matter made any sound at all. Not to say that every child would react the same way but for us he was no problem. Use your best judgement, one of you go on a ride and judge if they can handle it. Good luck.

Upvote 0

tkdmom

My husband and I expereinced this same situation years ago when our children were little and could not go on the coaster-type rides, thrill rides, etc... We did not think twice about baby swapping and had no problem with it.

Even though we were not on the ride together, it was either that or not at all. We had a great time and enjoyed relating our experiences with one another. The CMs are well versed in switching off and neither party had to wait too long before the other returned (usually about 15 minutes).

I say go for it and have fun. You might not return for a while and the rides are too good to pass up.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We have taken our son twice and are planning a 3rd trip this fall. We took him at 2 and 3 years of age. It was so much fun. Our son was able to ride a lot of rides last year since he is a little tall for his age. His favorite ride is BTMRR.

My husband rides a lot by himself. He doesn't mind it. We haven't done the swap since he is the only one riding the thrill rides anyway. I did ride RnRc for the first time by myself and it was fun. My dh had already given me the info about the ride and it wasn't too bad riding it by myself.

There isn't much we don't ride without our son, but don't worry about riding alone. My son and I usually wait out front for my dh and have a snack or drink while we wait or go on a ride ourselves. We have been enough that we usually just do what our son wants to and we have a blast seeing him riding rides with his arms up in the air, screaming. Its great!:dazzle:

Upvote 0
My parents did baby-swap for my little sister, and granted, they had my little brother and myself to ride with, but I don't think riding by yourself would be such a bad thing. And especially on Thunder Mt., make sure you and your son, then your wife and your son stand near the exit and watch the ride. He'll be able to see you, then your wife, and will be so excited!

All you do when you get up to the ride is ask the CM about baby swapping. They used to let you go in through the back way without waiting in line, but that was at least 10 years ago. Now I'm unsure...:)

Upvote 0

tkdmom

Baby swap depends on the ride. Just let the CM (at the entry of each ride )know that you will be doing a baby swap ( you can say that or "switching off). The CM will let you know the next step. Some rides mean going through the line together and at the ride queue, one person riding, the other waiting, then switching. Some get Fast Pass. It just depends on the ride.

Just make sure you know where you want to meet when the second rider is finished. Have fun!

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

That's how we are. Since we've started going w/ the kids, we don't hit the thrill rides. My wife has been 5 times w/me. First 2 times pregnant. The next two w/little kids. Last trip we finally dumped the kids for a night w/gma and I conned her into riding TOT for the first time ever. I couldn't wait to get her on since we first started talking about going. But we never missed it. We would rather take 6-7 runs on IASW than kid swap on the coasters and make their trips pointless. You only get one year to go to WDW with a 3 year old. You can go again as an adult any time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom