Traveling with kids age 1,3 & 7

alifares

Anyone have any advice for traveling with children that are 1 , 3, & 7. This is my first time traveling to disney with my chidlren and I have some ideas of how to plan my days but I figure there are tons of people who have traveled with young kids to disney that can offer tons of advice

Thanks

justducky78

I don't have children, but here are some of the things we do ourselves. Start off early in the morning, go back to the hotel for lunch/nap/swim, and then head back out at night. Everyone will feel more refreshed - you, most importantly!

Also, bring a backpack into the parks (you can store it in a locker if you don't want to carry it all day) with water, wipes, snacks, medicine, ponchos, change of clothes, etc so you have everything on (or near) you when you need it.

**Others have also suggested an umbrella stroller, which might be easier to manuever through the crowds. Although with two kids under 5, you might need a double.

#1 advice -- don't try and do everything and stress yourself out!

Have fun - you and your kids are going to love it! :wave:

Upvote 0

New2WDW

Anyone have any advice for traveling with children that are 1 , 3, & 7. This is my first time traveling to disney with my chidlren and I have some ideas of how to plan my days but I figure there are tons of people who have traveled with young kids to disney that can offer tons of advice

Thanks

Clarification Please.....are you asking for advice for the traveling portion of your trip or during your stay or all the above?

If it is for traveling, are you traveling by car or plane?

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

Hi!!

We have a 3yr old (almost 4) and he has been to the World 8 times already. The one thing that is really important is to try to keep their schedule the same as usual. We did not need to go back to the room for naps, but we did always find a quiet spot around nap time so he could get to sleep.

(We found that nap time was a good time to swap off riders for the rides that the little on could not ride. )

One thing that I suggest that other may disagree with me on is - BRING YOUR OWN REGULAR (full size) STROLLER. Your children are familiar with it and are probably quite comfortable in it. It also probably has space to store bags and such.

If you are staying at the Disney resort, it is a bit of trouble getting the stroller on the busses, but the agravation is well worth the simplicity of having your own stroller it the parks. If you are staying off property and will have to ride the trams from the parking lots, the stroller can become another issue entirely. You will have to decide if the convenience of your own stroller is worth the hassle. IT IS FOR US!!!

Niki

Upvote 0

coltow

Start early and take an afternon break. Go slow, let the kids dictate your pace at all parks. Bring snacks, plenty of baby wipes and at least 1 change of clothes for each child (you never know).

When are you going? Where will you be staying?

Upvote 0

alifares

Original Poster
I am just looking for advice while we are staying in disney. We are flying down which i am not worried about at all since they all have been on a plane before.

i am just looking for advice from people that go to disney with young kids and any things that they have found to help them out during there stay

We are staying at animal kingdom for 8 days

Thanks

Upvote 0

DisneyWood

Just did it

Thanks

We just went on a Christmas vacation in early December w/ our 4 yr, 2 yr & 18 mo old. Anyways, the trip went great. We took our own stroller (the dreaded double). We set a tentative schedule and kept to it for the most part.

We took necessary breaks to either go back to the room, or relax at the resort. In my opinion, I think early afternoon naps should be mandatory for everyone (including parents). Everyone will be on sensory overload, and should be forced to shut down & relax. If you don't take the time for breaks, then be ready for the crankiness.

I think setting all of the dining reservations on the day you plan on being at the various parks. If the restaurant is not in 1 of the parks, then head to the park closest (for example - Chef Mickey's - go to MK for the day).

Hope this is helpful. Have a great time. We actually let the children decide what we did @ the parks. They really enjoyed being in charge (to an extent).

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I agree with all the above. One thing I want to add, however, is to make sure you have something to amuse the kids with when waiting in lines. Your 1 year old may not notice, but the 3 and 7 year olds definitely will. I have taken little hand-held video games that you get McDonalds or other places here at home, a small colouring book/notebook ... you get the drift. This year, I'm planning on purchasing Pal Mickey since mine will be five, and I think he'll get an absolute hoot out out of it (in addition to making those lines pass easier)!

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

mgraef

All of the above advice is good. I have done the less than one and three year old, never the seven year old.

For the smaller one's definitely start small on attractions. Our first trip I heeded this advice. Dumbo, Carousel, Peter Pan, Pooh. Then work up to Jungle Cruise, Pirates, etc. This way they get used to the bigness of everything.

Our last trip our son who was then 4 talked for months about going on Soarin' and watched it plenty of times on the computer. This was his first ride and the grand scale caught him off guard. He wimpered the whole time in the line about not wanting to go on Nemo and it took about midway through the week before he started getting braver. By the end of the week he was ready for most, except Soarin' again.

Break them in slowly for the rides...

Mike

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

I may get blasted for this, but here goes anyway:

If the que is outside, then I have actually waited near the front of the line with our little on and hoppd in with my husband when he got closer to the front.

This actually does not make anyone wait any longer since we are all going to ride in the same car anyway. Almost everyone who was in line around my husband was actually thankful that we waited outside the line rather that having a cranky 3 yr old in the line.

Just a thought - I hope the stones don't begin to fly!!!

Niki

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We took our son when he was 2 and 3. We are going again in April (he'll be 4 1/2). If yours are early risers like mine, I would go to the park first thing in the morning. Stay through lunch then head back to the room. Rest, nap or freshen up, then head back to the parks for the evening. We sometimes take an hour or two to just rest then we are good for the rest of the day.

Make sure to take a break if your kids are tired. You won't get to everything and there is no sense in trying. The first trip we took the umbrella stroller. It was fine, but was still a pain on the bus, even though it is small. A lot of people will tell you to bring your own. I would suggest renting a double stroller so the 2 younger ones can ride. Its soo easy to do and our son never complained about the comfort. Our son didn't nap in it since we went back to the room for a break. More than likely, if they are falling asleep, its time to head back for a break, IMHO. If you have 3 kids and take your own stroller, it would be difficult getting on and off the buses with the kids and the stroller. If you happen to stay at a park til closing, it can get very crowded on the buses. Its just something to consider.

If you do rent or bring your own, make sure to mark yours where you can identify it. In the sea of strollers, it can become difficult to id your own. We mark ours with bright fabric.

I would also suggest taking your kids for walks prior to going. The walk from your room to the bus location can be long. We start with short walks and work our way up til our trip.

Hope this helps! There is nothing like seeing your kids faces when they see WDW for the first time! Its wonderful!!!

Upvote 0

ELopez

I'm an obsessed planner, but I think you must BE FLEXIBLE. If the kids get tired early - you may have to call it a day. Don't try to "burn the candle at both ends" so to speak. The shy child may love the characters while the brave one may cry on the Winnie the Pooh ride. You just never know what to expect. Also, know that they (and you) will get progressively tired as the week goes on.

Expect that the 3 year old will need a stroller sometimes.

Our girls are 8,7,5 and almost 1. I enjoy taking the youngest one/ones for a walk to let them fall asleep while I shop. Then daddy takes the older one/ones on some more rides.

Good advice to let the 7yo start walking laps at the mall or in your neighborhood to prep for the trip.

Take a small pen light (or something similar) on rides that get pitch black (like TTA and Pirates). It helps if they become afraid of the dark (it even helps the mommies!).

We find that doing everything early works well. The opening of MK is a lot of fun and a family tradition for us. Eat early to beat the crowds (as well as hunger induced meltdowns).

Have the time of your life!

Upvote 0

GenerationX

The first time we went my sons were 2, 4, and 6. A couple of suggestions:
1. Buy The Unofficial Guide to WDW by Bob Sehlinger. This book includes attraction ratings by age group and scariness factors. Designate every attraction as either Must Do, Sounds Fun, or Avoid.
2. Plan your park tours to be around 4 or 5 hours each with just a couple of Must Sees in each tour. Experience nearby Sounds Fun attractions as time/energy permits. We like to tour in the mornings and evenings.
3. Hit the playgrounds in the parks (especially the Boneyard in the AK). They're imaginative, and they give the kids the chance to run around.

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

Dagger

I agree with your others... plan an itinerary that you would do with just your husband and yourself, then cut it in half per each child lol... no, but seriously, we went with our 16 month old in December and it was amazing... we packed 4 parks and MVMCP in 3 days but we didn't have a second to even go off property, so if I could go back, I might've skipped the hopper and knocked it down to 2 or 3 parks for that particular trip :)

Upvote 0

New2WDW

I am just looking for advice while we are staying in disney. We are flying down which i am not worried about at all since they all have been on a plane before.

i am just looking for advice from people that go to disney with young kids and any things that they have found to help them out during there stay

Thanks

OK! Thanks for the clarification.

I would have to add: (some already mentioned)
1) Strollers definitely save the little ones legs so that they can go longer thru the day! (Multi-day stroller passes!)
2) Hit Fantasyland early and if a line is long just find rides with shorter ones and check back with the other lines later. Definitely utilize the Fast Pass!
3) Take time to let your kids explore and play on the playground areas and this will make them feel like they are making decisions.
4) I love table service restaurants - it makes for a great break during the day and gets you out of the hustle and bustle of the park.
5) Have fun!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Also don't forget to check with the front desk as AKL when you check in for any special things going on around the hotel. I thought they had story time by the fire and some other things which would be fun for the kids to do if you decide to do a day without a park and hang out in the pool and around the hotel.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Nice!!

I agree with all the advice you've gotten... above all, the sticking with a schedule. I think I need a schedule more than the kids do :dazzle: :lol: It keeps everybody happier. I am not sure how the people who go from sunup to sundown in the parks do it, but I'm pretty sure I would collapse somewhere along the way.
I may get blasted for this, but here goes anyway:

If the que is outside, then I have actually waited near the front of the line with our little on and hoppd in with my husband when he got closer to the front.

This actually does not make anyone wait any longer since we are all going to ride in the same car anyway. Almost everyone who was in line around my husband was actually thankful that we waited outside the line rather that having a cranky 3 yr old in the line.

Just a thought - I hope the stones don't begin to fly!!!

Niki

I wouldn't think so. Now, when adults are holding the line for other adults, no kids in sight, that annoys me. We're all big boys and girls who can remember to use the potty before we get into line. :) :lol: :lookaroun

Upvote 0

H20Babie

There's one other thing to mention, I can't believe I forgot about this! :brick:

It's not advice, but something your children will get a kick out of. The resort tvs have bedtime stories every night from around 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. It is absolutely awesome. I think there is a princess one, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. There may be more, but that's what I remember. My son loves it.

Upvote 0

joelleharbert

We took our son when he was 2 and 3. We are going again in April (he'll be 4 1/2). If yours are early risers like mine, I would go to the park first thing in the morning. Stay through lunch then head back to the room. Rest, nap or freshen up, then head back to the parks for the evening. We sometimes take an hour or two to just rest then we are good for the rest of the day.

Make sure to take a break if your kids are tired. You won't get to everything and there is no sense in trying. The first trip we took the umbrella stroller. It was fine, but was still a pain on the bus, even though it is small. A lot of people will tell you to bring your own. I would suggest renting a double stroller so the 2 younger ones can ride. Its soo easy to do and our son never complained about the comfort. Our son didn't nap in it since we went back to the room for a break. More than likely, if they are falling asleep, its time to head back for a break, IMHO. If you have 3 kids and take your own stroller, it would be difficult getting on and off the buses with the kids and the stroller. If you happen to stay at a park til closing, it can get very crowded on the buses. Its just something to consider.

If you do rent or bring your own, make sure to mark yours where you can identify it. In the sea of strollers, it can become difficult to id your own. We mark ours with bright fabric.

I would also suggest taking your kids for walks prior to going. The walk from your room to the bus location can be long. We start with short walks and work our way up til our trip.

Hope this helps! There is nothing like seeing your kids faces when they see WDW for the first time! Its wonderful!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with 3fordisney! We took our 6-year-old, 4-year-old, and 2-year-old this past September and still had a fantastic time. We took turns taking the two older ones on the "bigger" rides while one of us would take the little one and go find "Cinderella (or insert your own character here)." On attractions that we could all do, for example, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, we would just take two cars and fit two kids with one adult and one kid with one adult. Believe it or not, we had very little complaining from any of them. We did, however, leave the parks after lunch everyday and go back in the evening. We also rented a stroller at Disney and thought that worked out better for us, personally. With three kids, it might make it more enjoyable to have your own car at WDW, as well. It may not be cost-efficient, but if you need to get away from it all (and don't kid yourself, you may very well need to, believe it or not), a car could be a lifesaver. Just my opinion, though. One final thought, we tried to do character meals about once every other day so that the kids could get autographs then rather than stopping everytime we saw a character. You can get really hung up waiting in line for three kids to get autographs, pictures, etc. I hope this helps! Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom