Traveling to Disney with a 1 year old.....

CMALOVESDISNEY

Any advice?

I have gone to Disney with our son but he was three his first time, we are headed back in Sept 2007 and our baby on the way will be a year, I am alittle concerned.

Any tips?

coltow

In July my son will be there for his 3rd time. He went at 8 months, 20 months and now 2 1/2. My main suggestions is not to change the baby's schedule too much. My son wakes up at about 8am takes a nap around 3pm and goes to bed around 930pm. We try to keep those in place as well as his normal meal times. If we stay out later then we let him sleep later. My son is really good with napping in his stroller so we don't necessarily go back to the hotel for nao time, we just find a quiet place for him to dose off.

Upvote 0

radioandy

We just returned from a trip with our almost-3-year-old, who we also took at 9-months. From our standpoint, the 9-month trip was actually better. He was alert enough to take in things and enjoy them, and content to stroll and sleep the rest of the time. This last trip, he didn't want to walk any, so we rented a stroller (should have known that!), needed to return to the hotel for naps, and was scared of things that didn't bother him as a baby.
So 1 year might be a great time...doesn't need a ticket and is pretty agreeable to anything! If not for a virtually free school trip (my wife took her choir to perform) we'd probably have waited til he's 5 or 6 to go back.

Upvote 0

Debbie

It is what you make of it.......I've taken mine at 9mos, 13mos, and 18mos. The 9mos was cool to watch him notice everything, and we got some nice Christmas photos of him. My second son went at 13mos, and he didn't fear anything. He took in everything, but his favorite was the ducks visiting our patio in the mornings and he got to feed them. At 18mos, he was fun to watch, and to hear him yell "MicMou". But........he was now at the age of being afraid of Pirates, and Haunted Mansion.
My meaning of 'what you make of it' is: You have to go not expecting to do everything together. If someone in your party is going to be bummed because accommadations have to be made; such as parent swap, you might get bummed to. My husband and I went knowing not to expect to do everything. When the boys were toddlers; we went with the attitude that we were just going to relax, and take in the sights. We got up at 7am, since the boys were at daycare for 6am anyway. We went back for naptime at 12 or 1 and they were refreshed and ready to return for 4 or so. They loved Magic Kingdom at nite. but my boys were very laid back and were the 'go with the flow' kind.
It was nice taking them so young despite having to tote the stroller, diaper bag, my bag of stuff, video camera etc.., then having to board the bus for naps, and do it all over again in the evening..........we were tired, but those memories are priceless. Now that they are 14 and 11; it was a thrill seeing them last year ride ALL of the rides, especially the ones that I won't ride anymore (we hadn't gone in since 1999).

Upvote 0

CMALOVESDISNEY

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the input, it should be exciting, Our son will be 6 and this new baby 1. My parents have also decided to join us on this trip so I am sure it will be a blast!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
CMALOVESDISNEY said:
Thanks so much for the input, it should be exciting, Our son will be 6 and this new baby 1. My parents have also decided to join us on this trip so I am sure it will be a blast!

Thanks again!

We have taken our daughter at 6 months, 9 months, and 18 months. She had a blast. She actually responded to a lot of things. We even took her on a bunch of rides. She didn't seem frightened at 9 months old on PotC or the HM. I think it is good to get them started early so that she gets used to the dark and knows that nothing is going to harm her.

Josh

Upvote 0

Debbie

CMALOVESDISNEY said:

Thanks again!

Taking the in-laws was nice because they were ready to retire for the night right after supper; and they said "go spend some time with each other, we'll bathe and get Pot ready for bed". Ain't gotta tell us twice! Staying at the Poly, in the off season, was especially nice with the in-laws, since Don and I would grab some beer and go sit on the beach and simply spend time with each other.

Upvote 0

VeRTiGo91

We had the inlaws watch ours for the evening (4 and almost 2) so we could go to Downtown. But during the day, the folks would stay at whichever park we were at, and we took the kids back for a power nap, and headed back out with them when they got up. They stayed awake at Animal Kingdom though, they loved it there!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom