Travel Agent or not?

NWDMD

What are the benefits of booking through a travel agency versus just booking through the website/airlines/your own dining etc?

Our family is just my wife and I so we don't have any little ones. We've been many times before and we are planning on staying at POP Dec 19-26 this year. Would it be worth it to us to book through a travel agency? Does booking through a travel agency cost more than booking yourself? We're not AAA members or annual pass holders so I don't think we qualify for any discounts. We're military but SOG is usually more expensive for us than POP.

When do most people book their trips? Months out or a year out or what?

Thanks!
NWDMD

DisneyJoe

Cost is the same. I use a travel agent for the services they provide.

In other words, they do the work so I don't have to.

Its your decision - you can do the work, or let the professionals do it.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

I usually use a travel agent because I like to help them out. I know what working on commission is like =) The only real downside I can see is that you can't talk to Disney directly about your reservation, but as long as you trust your TA it's no big deal.

Upvote 0

elizs77

I use a AAA travel agent simply b/c of what happened with me last time. We booked our trip, then the free dining plan came out the next week. Our agent just went ahead and rebooked us so that we could get the discount. Instead of saving something like $250 w/ a AAA discount, she saved us $600. That allowed us to fly instead of drive, and we still came out ahead! I would never have known this was possible to do, and I didn't have to worry about it at all.

Upvote 0

dave1105

I have never booked on my own so I can't tell you how that works out. I have booked twice through travel agents resulting in one good experience and one bad experience.

The first experience was with AAA and maybe it was just the location or the rep but other than some time during initial visit the only time I heard from them was to remind me to bring money. Even with the initial visit felt kinda rushed because it was a Saturday morning.

Right after that visit I discovered this forum. When the time came to book my next trip to the world I decided to give Kingdom Konsultants a try and was very impressed from the start. I dealt with Marie and she was wonderful. We corresponded back and forth via PM, email and phone. She took the time and as much time as was needed! We had several lengthy conversations regarding accomadations and just general reccomendations based on her numerous visits there.

Additonally, if any discounts became available they were automatically applied. My ADR's were also booked by Marie.

Night and day experiences! Based on the discounts and ADR's alone I don't think I would ever consider booking a trip on my own.

Upvote 0

Scooter

My wife and I quit using travel agents for 3 reasons.

1) We got cheated once by a popular travel agency. They offered us a discount on 12th floor concierge rooms at The Contemporary Resort. We thought we had a good price but when we arrived and went to check in, it turned out they had only booked us a Tower room so we ended up paying rack rates. Now this could have been a misunderstanding between us, but when we contacted the travel agency, they just acted like they had no idea what we were talking about and refused to make it right.

2) The last time we used another popular Travel agency, they did nothing for us that we couldn't do ourselves. No Discounts, just some more rack rates. We waited for them to email us with some sort of Annual Passholders Polynesian resort discount rate for our Polynesian Concierge 15th anniversary stay, but we ended up paying full price for 8 nights...yikes!! Talk about an expensive vacation!

3) After traveling to Disney World several times in the last 20 years, we have pretty much learned all the shortcuts and where to look for discounts for our selves.

Upvote 0

mommyluvsnoah

I am planning our first trip and after researching have decided to go with a TA. Mainly because I have never been to Disney before and want to make sure I cover all my bases and get the best price I can. Obviously I can't comment on how well it works yet but did want to answer your question about cost. Most of the TA's I looked at were Disney travel agents and do not charge you any money for their services. They get paid commission from Disney off the packages they book. I chose to work with Marie from KK also and so far she has answered a ton of questions for me and I haven't even booked yet. You could also do that yourself by doing research but I guess I just feel a little more secure knowing I have a professional helping me plan our trip at no extra expense to me. HTH.

Upvote 0

MaryMcMagic

After using Kingdom Konsultants last vacation, I will do it no other way from now on! Pam was fab-u-lous and answered all my emails, voice mail, questions, concerns, etc., etc., promptly and without judgements...(I think I was a little bit of a pain!) Last vacation was a grand gathering of what I think grew to 26 at one point, and she handled everything with the greatest of ease. She's my vacation life line now! I have directed friends and other family members her way, too, and they have all come back singing her praises!

Upvote 0

lpet11984

Most of the TA's I looked at were Disney travel agents and do not charge you any money for their services. They get paid commission from Disney off the packages they book.

That's really good to know-- I always wondered. They have to get paid somehow, but I was never sure if it was by an understood gratuity or some other sort of commission.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I prefer booking with a travel agent, but only if it is a GOOD travel agent whom you trust and with whom you can easily communicate.

I'm an experienced traveler, but I like having someone available to "back me up" in case there's a problem.

A BAD travel agent is just about the worst thing, though. So if you can't find a good one, go it alone. A good one is knowledgable, committed, and easy to communicate with. By easy to communicate with, I guess I mean easy to actually contact. I would never book travel with a huge impersonal travel agency like Orbitz or Travelocity -- nothingn against them, it's just that I want to know that there is a PERSON (rather than an "operator standing by") who will take responsibility to listen to what I want and help arrange that for me. I'd have no problem booking with a huge company as long as there was one person with whom I could work, one person who takes the responsibility to be there for me before and during my trip.

Upvote 0

disneymom08

We booked with a well know, highly recommended travel agency. The problem I have had is finding out all the things they don't do that you need help with. No plane reservations - well that's what you really need help booking. I can call Disney and book a room just like they can and watch for discounts. Also, we just added people to our party. Well the ADR's have already been made - they only do the initial reservations. Any changes you have to do yourself. I am not sure what I am gaining.

Upvote 0

KnK

Last year was my first year (after 10 years of doing it myself) that I went with the folks from Kingdom Konsultants. I will NEVER do it again myself. Elizabeth made the process so easy and took care of everything.

This year when it came time to book, she is handling it again. No more sitting on the phone trying to get priority seating. She is handling it all.

The only thing I plan on doing my self is the travel part. We have not decided if we plan to drive or fly.

Upvote 0

Mystic

I book everything myself. To me that's a part of my vacation and it's something I enjoy doing. I always book through Central Reservations and do all my own ADRs and have never had a problem. I also just booked a Land and Sea Cruise for my Mom and I for December of 2009. I just called the Disney Cruise Line and the CM was more than happy to help me and I even added an extra night to our land portion. I think if we ever consider doing an Adventures by Disney trip then we'll definitely consider going through a travel agent because then we'll be flying into and out of two different cities and we'll need to make sure we're flying in well in advance of when we need to be there.

Upvote 0

SAV

I book it all myself. I feel I can get a better discount with my Entertainment book discount and other discount programs that I have. I am able to use the internet to my advantage and get excellent prices all around. It really isn't that "inconvenient" to make any phone calls that are needed for dining(or other) reservations. I look at it like it's a battle to get the best prices possible for what I want to do. You do the research once and it's in your head forever. It's not like I am doing homework or anything like that...I am researching my trip to Disney. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

lilclerk

We booked with a well know, highly recommended travel agency. The problem I have had is finding out all the things they don't do that you need help with. No plane reservations - well that's what you really need help booking.
The reason most travel agents don't book flights anymore is the airlines don't pay them commission anymore. Unless you want them to charge you, they have no reason to book a flight for you. Though a nice one would give you some advice =)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

The reason most travel agents don't book flights anymore is the airlines don't pay them commission anymore. Unless you want them to charge you, they have no reason to book a flight for you. Though a nice one would give you some advice =)

We here at KK do book ALL portions of our client's trip as part of a vacation package. Some flights/ airlines we cant book as it isnt offered as part of our package through our booking engines. At that point we leave the choice to the clients as to if they want us to book the flight we can get or if they would like to search out flights on their own. Belle

Upvote 0

lilclerk

We here at KK do book ALL portions of our client's trip as part of a vacation package. Some flights/ airlines we cant book as it isnt offered as part of our package through our booking engines. At that point we leave the choice to the clients as to if they want us to book the flight we can get or if they would like to search out flights on their own. Belle
I know you guys do, but I felt bad that some people feel they're getting jipped when a lot of travel agents don't book flights. But there is a reason for it :shrug:
Or... at least that's what my travel & tourism professor told me. She might have lied :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom