Transportation with little ones, carseats and UBER help needed!

gobstoper27

Original Poster
Hi.
I'll be traveling with a child under 2 (21 Months) and had a few Questions regarding car seats and other things.
Some background-
We'll be doing a split stay. first half of the trip will be Disney and the 2nd half will be Universal. We were thinking of just using resort transportation for both. I've used Universal transportation before it it was excellent but I've read a couple (a lot) of not so positive stories regarding Disney bus transportation..so I'm contemplating renting a car for times when we feel the buses may not work for us or just using UBER.
1.When traveling with toddlers, do you bring car seats if you're planning on utilizing Disney transportation? Is it OK for them to lap sit on the buses?
2.When traveling via UBER, is it OK to just have your child sit on your lap in the back seat? (I've UBER'd maybe three times total, never with my babe, so I'm not really familiar with their policies.)
3. Have you ever utilized UBER Family? If so, did it take longer to find a nearby driver due to the car having a carseat inside?

I'd appreciate any feedback!!

thanks!!

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi.
I'll be traveling with a child under 2 (21 Months) and had a few Questions regarding car seats and other things.
Some background-
We'll be doing a split stay. first half of the trip will be Disney and the 2nd half will be Universal. We were thinking of just using resort transportation for both. I've used Universal transportation before it it was excellent but I've read a couple (a lot) of not so positive stories regarding Disney bus transportation..so I'm contemplating renting a car for times when we feel the buses may not work for us or just using UBER.
1.When traveling with toddlers, do you bring car seats if you're planning on utilizing Disney transportation? Is it OK for them to lap sit on the buses?
2.When traveling via UBER, is it OK to just have your child sit on your lap in the back seat? (I've UBER'd maybe three times total, never with my babe, so I'm not really familiar with their policies.)
3. Have you ever utilized UBER Family? If so, did it take longer to find a nearby driver due to the car having a carseat inside?

thanks!!

With Uber, you can select the Uber Family and yes, they come with car seats and no, it did not take any longer. When we are on Disney transportation, they can sit on your lap. This includes Disney Magical Express and the buses throughout the property. I do not bring a car seat for my son who was 3 at the time of his last visit. Hope this helps!

gobstoper27

Original Poster
With Uber, you can select the Uber Family and yes, they come with car seats and no, it did not take any longer. When we are on Disney transportation, they can sit on your lap. This includes Disney Magical Express and the buses throughout the property. I do not bring a car seat for my son who was 3 at the time of his last visit. Hope this helps!
Perfect!! Thanks for answering all my questions, do you recall if the UBER Family had a SURCHARGE?

Weather_Lady

Uber has options to suit your situation, including carseats as mentioned above, but I'd take what you've read about the Disney buses with a grain of salt, and maybe rethink renting a car/using Uber altogether. In my family's experience, in a week's stay onsite, taking Disney transportation back and forth to the hotel twice daily (meaning 4 bus rides per day), we're rarely waiting more than 10 minutes for a bus. We do average about one anomalous "big, long wait" for the week, but that means that 95% of the time, our waits are short.

The only time we find it more expedient to take Uber is if we're going from one resort to another resort (e.g., from Caribbean Beach Resort to Animal Kingdom Lodge) for a dining reservation. Obviously, YMMV, but I'd urge you to give Disney's own complimentary transportation a try.

buseegal

Hi.
Some background-

thanks!!
granted granddaughter was older but biggest problem we had with Disney buses was she could not take one back home instead of her car. the buses were another ride to her

gobstoper27

Original Poster
Uber has options to suit your situation, including carseats as mentioned above, but I'd take what you've read about the Disney buses with a grain of salt, and maybe rethink renting a car/using Uber altogether. In my family's experience, in a week's stay onsite, taking Disney transportation back and forth to the hotel twice daily (meaning 4 bus rides per day), we're rarely waiting more than 10 minutes for a bus. We do average about one anomalous "big, long wait" for the week, but that means that 95% of the time, our waits are short.

The only time we find it more expedient to take Uber is if we're going from one resort to another resort (e.g., from Caribbean Beach Resort to Animal Kingdom Lodge) for a dining reservation. Obviously, YMMV, but I'd urge you to give Disney's own complimentary transportation a try.
I appreciate your optimism, sometimes it's easy to fall into the doom and gloom of others experiences. I've been reading way too much about this topic and we're leaning towards giving Disney transportation a go and using uber sparingly, if at all. I think once we get a better idea of our plans, we'll be able to make a better decision.

Thanks so much!!

dreamfinder

I believe FL law is under 6 needs a car seat in a car. Buses isn't not needed for whatever reason. DME won't even let you bring a car seat on, they will store it under the bus for you. We don't have issues with the on property buses. Not sure how much the Uber Family costs, but the Minnie Van service (WDW private label Lyft) includes 2 car seats in each vehicle and thats $20 per ride, but only on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom