Transportation to Universal

Roakor

Original Poster
Going to disneyland this fall, First time to L.A. What is going to be the best way to get to Universal Studios as we want to spend a day there. Will be staying at the best western across from Disneyland. I was looking at lyft and if i am looking at ti right it was $60 one way. Thought about renting a car as I can get one for $30-$40 a day but I couldn't pick it up till 8am and not sure what time that would put us at universal with LA traffic. Are there any shuttle services from disneyland to Universal?

kap91

Renting a car is probably easiest and cheapest. Though if you're doing it on a weekday you might be able to use a combination of Metrolink or even Amtrack + Metro rail services. The LA metro stops right at Universal. You could do it on the weekend too but the metro link schedule isn't as good then and amtrack is expensive.

kap91

Renting a car is probably easiest and cheapest. Though if you're doing it on a weekday you might be able to use a combination of Metrolink or even Amtrack + Metro rail services. The LA metro stops right at Universal. You could do it on the weekend too but the metro link schedule isn't as good then and amtrack is expensive.
You'd take metro link from the ART station to union station, then transfer to the Red line.

Jedi Stitch

I did a day trip to Uni after a 3 day at DLR. I did the charter shuttle, it picked us up at 7AM in fron of BW Park place, but it also stopped in at 3-4 other stops then straight to UNI drop off at the buss lot near the front entrance. Two draw backs. we didn't get to Uni until just after 11 AM, and the bus left promptly at 7PM. We probably could had done better time/ride management, but we only had time to ride Potter Forbidden, hippogrif, Jurassic park, and the tram ride, last tram ride for the day at that. we had lunch at the broomsticks and dinner at bubba gump. My wife for what ever reason wanted to do I Fly their, we have one near us. That took a couple of hours in it self.
In hind sight I would probably paid for a lyft/uber would have been their faster. and left when we wanted to. It would have been more expensive. Also, upgrade to what ever fastpass/maxpass they have to skip the hour lines.

Roakor

Original Poster
We are going during the week, likely thursday. I am leaning towards just renting a car. My daughter wants to go to the beaches friday so I think it would work out better that anyway. Also with renting a car I can make sure we get to uni early and we can leave whenever we want. Two things that weigh very heavily towards renting a car. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some insider tip I was missing on the best way to get from disney to uni.

Darkbeer1

The Cheapest way.

LA Metro Route 460 Bus from the bus stop on Harbor in front of Disneyland to the 7th St/Metro Center, then the Metro Red Line Subway to Universal City. Then catch the free shuttle Tram from the Station to the Main Gate.

$7 for a Day Pass paid when boarding the first bus (Children 4 and under are free). Easy transfers, Metro 460 runs every about 30 minutes from 4 AM to last bus southbound at 10:30 PM. Trip takes about 2 hours in each direction.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Do you and your family (I'm assuming family, you weren't specific) really want to be riding public transportation at night and transferring in downtown L.A.? It may be cheaper, but it's probably going to be the same amount of time either way if you just rent a car, but at least you're safe, comfortable, can listen to music, have more freedom of movement, etc. If you are planning to stay at Universal until closing (again, not enough info), I personally would not want to take public transportation all the way back to Anaheim at 9-11pm and traffic going back will be subsided by then.

But that's just me. Everyone's different. I'd rent the car, download Waze, and make it a road trip and have the freedom to come and go as I please.

truecoat

Have you ever driven in Southland traffic? We have traffic 24/7 here. Our schedules are not normal, rules place truck traffic outside of peak hours, as does most road work. You can get stuck in worse traffic at 10 PM than 6 PM.

Yeah, 2 hours sounds like a long time to travel by public transit but an hour 45 from Universal to Disneyland in a car is awful being it's only 35 miles. If you are driving at non rush hours it can be fine.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Have you ever driven in Southland traffic? We have traffic 24/7 here. Our schedules are not normal, rules place truck traffic outside of peak hours, as does most road work. You can get stuck in worse traffic at 10 PM than 6 PM.

As a California native, I totally agree with what you are saying, and if you are unfamiliar with the area or don't have a GPS and stick to the 101/5 route you probably will get stuck in construction or truck traffic, but it's also 2019. I mentioned Waze because it is an intelligent routing app that will avoid the construction and truck traffic and with general commuters off of the roads there are a lot more alternate route options available that will still get you back faster than public transportation.

Yeah, 2 hours sounds like a long time to travel by public transit but an hour 45 from Universal to Disneyland in a car is awful being it's only 35 miles. If you are driving at non rush hours it can be fine.

I'd still rather spend a couple of hours in a car in traffic than sitting anywhere up to 20 minutes in downtown L.A. at 10pm with my family waiting for a bus to come. Again, that's just me, and while I hate cliches, I'll say "your mileage may vary". I'm not trying to persuade anyone or the OP, just offering alternative opinions to weigh out.

Phroobar

I'm sorry but a two hour bus and subway ride through some of east L.A. and then getting lost in Compton or Watts just to get to a theme park is stupid and dangerous.

Just rent a car and go.

That's the way our parents did it. That is the way America does it. And it worked out pretty good so far.
tenor.gif

Darkbeer1

OK, what are the options?

1. Drive yourself

2. Have someone else drive you.

A. Uber/Lyft
B. Tour Bus
C. Public Transit

In choice C, you have multiple options, and in reality, all take about the same time when you factor in wait times.

Two legs are the same the LA Metro Red Line Subway and then walking over a set of pedestrian bridges to the Universal Shuttle.

So options from Disneyland to the Red Line.

1. Metro 460 Bus
  2. OCTA Route 543/43 to the Fullerton Station.
  3. ART Shuttle to ARTIC (Anaheim Train Station)
So let us explore them.

While driving allows you to set your own schedule, it is the most expensive (Rental Car Costs, Gasoline, the possible need for Child/Booster Seats, insurance and Parking, both at USH and your Hotel/Inn). It is also the most stressful to the driver.

Next is Uber/Lyft, possibly less expensive, but with Surge Pricing and tips, maybe the same. But no parking fees and someone else does the driving. If you need Child/Booster Seats, you still need to provide them. Some Van services will provide Child Seats with a reserved reservation, though you would have to have set pick up times in both directions.

With the Starline Tour Bus, you don't need to use Child/Booster seats, and the price would be a bit less. But here is how it works.

A Van Bus will pick you up at your Hotel and take you to a central Anaheim location (M3 Event Center).

A larger bus takes you to Starline's Main Depot at the Hollywood and Highland Center.

You catch another bus to USH, for a total of 3 legs.

Now to Public Transit.

The Metro 460 Bus is an Express bus with limited stops and part of the trip on freeways. But still a bus. But direct to the Red Line (one less transfer).

The options of bus then train....

Forget ARTIC, it is a longer and costlier trip (A good choice for going South to San Diego)

Plus the OCTA Route 543/43 runs more often, and your ART pass is accepted on the OCTA route.

Now, if you want to stay late at USH, you can't take the Metrolink back, since it is a Commuter system. You will need to take AMTRAK back, since they offer late trains. (Trains are around $30 round trip and run about once an hour)

Google Maps or Moovit are good apps that work with Public Transit options. I prefer Google Maps.

I don't have an issue with the bus stops at the 7th St/Metro Center. Plenty of security around and well lit. It is a designed transfer location.

So there are your choices.

For $7 round trip per person with no parking or tipping needed, as stated the 2 hour trip via the 460 Bus is the cheapest, and times wise is not that much longer than driving, with 30 minute or less waits between buses (The Red Line runs every 15 minutes or faster)

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

I'm sorry but a two hour bus and subway ride through some of east L.A. and then getting lost in Compton or Watts just to get to a theme park is stupid and dangerous.

The Bus runs on the 110 Freeway through Compton and Watts, so you can't get lost there.

socalifornian

If you’re doing this on a Saturday or Sunday it would be $10 round trip no matter which Metro route you take. Train + subway or 460 bus + subway

Darkbeer1

As for going to the beach, I would recommend taking the ART Shuttle to the ARTIC Train Station, and then take Metrolink, or AMTRAK to the following stops.

First choice is the San Clemente Pier stop. It literally is at the base of the Pier and Beach.

Second would be Oceanside. The extra distance offers some awesome views while the train goes down the coast. The Oceanside Station is a few walkable blocks to its Pier and Beach. If you are a Train lover, this is a very good option.

The San Clemente Station (Metrolink) is north of the Pier, but on the beach and a reasonable walk to the Pier.

Last edited:

truecoat

OK, what are the options?

1. Drive yourself

2. Have someone else drive you.

A. Uber/Lyft
B. Tour Bus
C. Public Transit

In choice C, you have multiple options, and in reality, all take about the same time when you factor in wait times.

Two legs are the same the LA Metro Red Line Subway and then walking over a set of pedestrian bridges to the Universal Shuttle.

So options from Disneyland to the Red Line.

1. Metro 460 Bus
  2. OCTA Route 543/43 to the Fullerton Station.
  3. ART Shuttle to ARTIC (Anaheim Train Station)
So let us explore them.

While driving allows you to set your own schedule, it is the most expensive (Rental Car Costs, Gasoline, the possible need for Child/Booster Seats, insurance and Parking, both at USH and your Hotel/Inn). It is also the most stressful to the driver.

Next is Uber/Lyft, possibly less expensive, but with Surge Pricing and tips, maybe the same. But no parking fees and someone else does the driving. If you need Child/Booster Seats, you still need to provide them. Some Van services will provide Child Seats with a reserved reservation, though you would have to have set pick up times in both directions.

With the Starline Tour Bus, you don't need to use Child/Booster seats, and the price would be a bit less. But here is how it works.

A Van Bus will pick you up at your Hotel and take you to a central Anaheim location (M3 Event Center).

A larger bus takes you to Starline's Main Depot at the Hollywood and Highland Center.

You catch another bus to USH, for a total of 3 legs.

Now to Public Transit.

The Metro 460 Bus is an Express bus with limited stops and part of the trip on freeways. But still a bus. But direct to the Red Line (one less transfer).

The options of bus then train....

Forget ARTIC, it is a longer and costlier trip (A good choice for going South to San Diego)

Plus the OCTA Route 543/43 runs more often, and your ART pass is accepted on the OCTA route.

Now, if you want to stay late at USH, you can't take the Metrolink back, since it is a Commuter system. You will need to take AMTRAK back, since they offer late trains. (Trains are around $30 round trip and run about once an hour)

Google Maps or Moovit are good apps that work with Public Transit options. I prefer Google Maps.

I don't have an issue with the bus stops at the 7th St/Metro Center. Plenty of security around and well lit. It is a designed transfer location.

So there are your choices.

For $7 round trip per person with no parking or tipping needed, as stated the 2 hour trip via the 460 Bus is the cheapest, and times wise is not that much longer than driving, with 30 minute or less waits between buses (The Red Line runs every 15 minutes or faster)

It’s interesting to see the amount of fear people have of public transit. I’ve ridden the el in Chicago at all hours and used the train in LA to get to a football game at the LA Colleseum last year. I’ve never felt threatened or unsafe.

Darkbeer1

It’s interesting to see the amount of fear people have of public transit. I’ve ridden the el in Chicago at all hours and used the train in LA to get to a football game at the LA Colleseum last year. I’ve never felt threatened or unsafe.

I use Public Transit on a regular basis. This weekend (Friday or Sunday) I took public transit to the Grand Prix of Long Beach, Once using Metrolink and bus, the other just bus.

I have used public transit to get to SFMM, Santa Monica Pier, USH, Hollywood, Pasadena, Citadel Outlets, San Juan Capristrano, Riverside, San Diego and many other places.

We have also used public transit all over the world. When in Bodrum, Turkey, staying in the five star Kempenski, we opted to take public Jitneys instead of taxis, and glad we got the local flavor. We used the Metro in Washington, DC last year. I know the Toronto system very well due to frequent visits.

Well, sometimes drives are nice, when we get to a Hotel, we like to leave the car. Relax, maybe have an adult beverage or two and let others do the driving, if we don't opt to walk.

Rich T

And as a sidenote, if you've been to Universal in Florida, just skip Universal Hollywood completely. Go to Knott's. It's a 10 minute drive from DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom