Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

71jason

Original Poster
Met up with my college friend and her family last night at MK. Massive storm rolled in right after Wishes. Lightning hit the monorail, shutting down both lines. In addition, too stormy for the boat launches, only the ferry was running. I needed to get back to the Grand, the only way to do that was by bus.

I walk toward the bus depot--again, not just rain, but heavy lightning in the area, masses of people fleeing--the only crowd control is two college program kids saying "Ferry to the right, buses to the left." There's no signage on the board for any monorail hotel--when I asked at the window, apparently the three parties behind me all had the same question. The bus depot itself was a mob scene. No CMs that I could see. No switchbacks. No discernable lines. Just a mass of people, pushing and shoving (and parties with ECVs trying to make their way back out like salmon swimming upstream because apparently they went the wrong way to try to get on a bus--again, no crowd control whatsoever). One bus sat at least 5 minutes after being completely filled. In the 15 minutes I stayed there, I didn't see a single monorail resort bus pull up. People were yelling and cursing at the driver to move along and get another bus in there.

I ended up calling a friend who lives behind MK to come give me a ride from the Contemporary. A lot of seasoned guests seemingly had the same idea, because the Contemproary bus lot was jammed, too. Full buses were pulling up and not letting any of the crowd on. Other guests were just grabbing taxis.

Completely unacceptable for any legal "host." Just a complete failure on the part of transportation and customer service management. I will say this. Forget Avatar, forget Cars, the #1 priority needs to be a parking garage within walking distance of MK. Walt's plan of having to be transported to the park may have worked in the 70s, but post-9/11, with modern crowds, it's a stupid anachronism.

Patrick_Ears

Met up with my college friend and her family last night at MK. Massive storm rolled in right after Wishes. Lightning hit the monorail, shutting down both lines. In addition, too stormy for the boat launches, only the ferry was running. I needed to get back to the Grand, the only way to do that was by bus.

I walk toward the bus depot--again, not just rain, but heavy lightning in the area, masses of people fleeing--the only crowd control is two college program kids saying "Ferry to the right, buses to the left." There's no signage on the board for any monorail hotel--when I asked at the window, apparently the three parties behind me all had the same question. The bus depot itself was a mob scene. No CMs that I could see. No switchbacks. No discernable lines. Just a mass of people, pushing and shoving (and parties with ECVs trying to make their way back out like salmon swimming upstream because apparently they went the wrong way to try to get on a bus--again, no crowd control whatsoever). One bus sat at least 5 minutes after being completely filled. In the 15 minutes I stayed there, I didn't see a single monorail resort bus pull up. People were yelling and cursing at the driver to move along and get another bus in there.

I ended up calling a friend who lives behind MK to come give me a ride from the Contemporary. A lot of seasoned guests seemingly had the same idea, because the Contemproary bus lot was jammed, too. Full buses were pulling up and not letting any of the crowd on. Other guests were just grabbing taxis.

Completely unacceptable for any legal "host." Just a complete failure on the part of transportation and customer service management. I will say this. Forget Avatar, forget Cars, the #1 priority needs to be a parking garage within walking distance of MK. Walt's plan of having to be transported to the park may have worked in the 70s, but post-9/11, with modern crowds, it's a stupid anachronism.

Yeah i been there and done that before. Not fun. Glad you made it out okay.

DisDadWoz

It was a complete "cluster" to say the least. I totally understand that the resort monorail went down, it was raining, and people were all leaving the park at the same time. However, I think instead of having 20 security people under the exit turnstiles to tell people how to get through them, you could have used those people for some crowd control by the bus stations. Too many people pushing, cutting, screaming etc over there with no real crowd control. My confusion as we don't always take the buses was how can so many buses stop and clear out the bus side with All-Star, Pop, etc with what we counted as 4 buses stopping at one before even one came to the stop of Boardwalk/Swan-Dolphin? It became comical at one point as everyone cheered every time a bus pulled up to our stop. Again, I'm not a transportation expert but why not more buses for some of the resorts? To top it all off I give credit to the cast member who was helping people load the bus who kept telling people "have a nice night". I thought one womans head was going to spin off her head when she heard that. We just said thank you and go the heck out of there. Completed soaked and cold we made it back home 2.5 hrs after leaving the park.

DisDadWoz

not to be rude... but if its pouring rain why did you leave.... just hang out for 15 or 20 min in shelter inside the kingdom then make your dash.... we never ever leave with the crowd after fireworks your just asking for trouble....

We actually tried that. We rode Pirates 3 more times then jumped from place to place on the way out. After looking at the radar the rain wasn't stopping for some time so we just tried to get out thinking most people had already left.

Rinx

I was there, it was pretty awful but you can't really get too mad about it. Things happen without plan or notice. Made the dash out of MK pretty well but after learning the monorail was down we got soaked waiting for the ferry and then walking to the Poly from the TTC. The monorail CM's said they lost power but I do not think that was completely true. Express was open and as the ferry came into the TTC we saw Orange pull in on the resort side. No one was in it nor were they taking passengers. Plus, when they told us of the problems at MK there was a train in the resort side station and its beacon light and headlight were on. If I'm not mistaken, there would be no lights without power.

71jason

Original Poster
not to be rude... but if its pouring rain why did you leave.... just hang out for 15 or 20 min in shelter inside the kingdom then make your dash.... we never ever leave with the crowd after fireworks your just asking for trouble....

We did, rode Pirates and Tiki Room. Was getting close to 11:00, and unlike my friends, I wasn't staying on property, so pretty much had to leave anyway. Plus, they have two kids who were over the rain, ready to crash.

In The Real World, not Disney Online Fanboi World, guests leave in droves when it's late and it starts to rain. I don't think it's too much to expect WDW staff to anticipate and accommodate that. Especially when your two regular methods of transportation back to a resort are down. Monorail being struck by lightning is an act of God; having no CMs or temporary queues in the bus area and no extra buses is an act of management.

Piebald

This is why I just park at the contemporary and walk. Unless Im with first timers and want to experience the grand entrance, there is nothing crappier than leaving MK tired as hell and waiting all that time.

Didn't even notice the bad weather from downtown although it was really nasty around 3am.

backinaction

This is why I just park at the contemporary and walk. Unless Im with first timers and want to experience the grand entrance, there is nothing crappier than leaving MK tired as hell and waiting all that time.

Didn't even notice the bad weather from downtown although it was really nasty around 3am.

This. sorry it's going to off some people who stay at the deluxe resort, but its just too easy to park at one of the deluxe hotels and walk in. the T&T center is usually mobbed at the end of the night (along with the monorails and boats), and not having to deal with that at the end of a long Disney day is a huge help. It's maybe 3/4 of a mile walk to the contemporary and beats waiting in a line for a boat or monorail at the end of the night.

awilliams4

The Contemporary parking lot or the Bay Lake Tower parking lot?

awilliams4

This. sorry it's going to off some people who stay at the deluxe resort, but its just too easy to park at one of the deluxe hotels and walk in. the T&T center is usually mobbed at the end of the night (along with the monorails and boats), and not having to deal with that at the end of a long Disney day is a huge help. It's maybe 3/4 of a mile walk to the contemporary and beats waiting in a line for a boat or monorail at the end of the night.

Have you ever been turned away or do you have to tell them you have dining ressies?

DizFiz

I can only imagine what it must have been like... I always find rain to be a plus at the MK as it drives away the crowds. I think it was a poor decision IMO to be going with the stampede exiting the park as I would have done a trip through space for the time being till the majority of the herd thinned out besides leaving right after the fireworks is the worst thing to do.

rob0519

We did, rode Pirates and Tiki Room. Was getting close to 11:00, and unlike my friends, I wasn't staying on property, so pretty much had to leave anyway. Plus, they have two kids who were over the rain, ready to crash.

In The Real World, not Disney Online Fanboi World, guests leave in droves when it's late and it starts to rain. I don't think it's too much to expect WDW staff to anticipate and accommodate that. Especially when your two regular methods of transportation back to a resort are down. Monorail being struck by lightning is an act of God; having no CMs or temporary queues in the bus area and no extra buses is an act of management.

I've been at MK several times when the power has gone out to the monorail. Yes, I agree that even in the rain, there should be a plan in place to arrange for temporary queues and to hastily re-assign as many crowd control CMs as possible to the scene. However, if those CMs are the typical college program types, it is unlikely a wet, fruststrated crowd would pay much attention to their instructions.

I would suspect, and if someone here works in transportation feel free to correct me, that the larger problem is available busses and drivers. The amount of equipment and drivers to replace the capacity of the monorail to the CR, Polynesian and GF would be significant. It's unrealistic to think WDW would have that amount of resouces sitting ready just in case the monorail failed. That being said, if the situation appears to one that will last several hours, there should be a contingency plan in place to provide those additional busses as soon a possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom