Transportation between airport & WDW

spb825

I have read other threads on this topic but I wanted to start one of my own since my wife and I will be going to WDW in October for our 10-year anniversary and we will be staying at the Polynesian. We have three options to get us to and from the airport: Disney Magical Express, town car service, or a rental car. We have been reading in the guide books negative experiences had with DME regarding have to wait til the bus fills until you leave to go to your resort and your luggage being delayed. Has anyone experienced this lately? I know the choice of which option to use is based on our preference. A town car service would be great except for the fact that we have to get our own luggage but that is not an issue. Renting a car is the least thought about option since I assume the resort has transportation to the other resorts, all the parks, Downtown Disney, and the water parks. I am basically looking for all experiences, good or bad, that anyone has had regarding the Disney Magical Express. Thanks.

under 31 weeks to go. Woo-Hoo!

TTFN-Tiggger

From someone who ALWAYS had to have a car - my last 4 visits I have gone without a car and used DME and loved it!! I pack in my carry one bag what I might need until luggage arrives. My typical vacation though is once I arrive and check in, I drop my carry on bag with the luggage service team and head off to the park(if the room is not ready if I am in early). When I get back that night from the park my luggage is sitting waiting in the room for me. So slick - I prefer this over claiming my own bags, walking to the car rental counter to wait in line for a car. Just my opinion though. Plus it is FREE!:D

Upvote 0

sissa216

Here's an odd question...
I am signed up for DME in September (I've never used it), but yesterday found a good deal and booked a car rental.
Is my being on the bus related to my luggage? Or can I depend on them to take my luggage for me, while I take the car? :shrug:
And how about the return to the airport?

Wishful thinking? :p

Upvote 0

peters

Here's an odd question...
I am signed up for DME in September (I've never used it), but yesterday found a good deal and booked a car rental.
Is my being on the bus related to my luggage? Or can I depend on them to take my luggage for me, while I take the car? :shrug:
And how about the return to the airport?

Wishful thinking? :p

Disney won't transport just luggage... you have to be on the bus with it. I'm sure it has to do with security concerns. The same holds true on the way back.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Disney won't transport just luggage... you have to be on the bus with it. I'm sure it has to do with security concerns. The same holds true on the way back.
I'm sorry to say, but this is inaccurate information.

The way DME is designed, your luggage gets delivered to the resorts by truck. You never see it until it's inside your room. There's no security concern about traveling without your luggage, because your luggage isn't supposed to travel with you, by design.

However, in the FAQ Disney specifically says that you can't book a luggage-only transfer from airport to resort.

Now, to complicate matters, you CAN send your luggage by itself back to the airport from your resort, but only in you are flying on one of the "participating airlines." This service, Resort Airline Check-in, is a separate service from DME. But Disney does an inadequate job of explaining this. If you check yiur luggage with RAC (which is like curbside chck-in, only it's in your resort lobby), you can get your body back to the airport any way you'd like. ANd you don't need a reservation to use RAC.

But you DO need a reservation to use DME.

Upvote 0

elcodfish

DME lover here!

I have used this service 3 times (I think) and its great! The only thing is being aware that your luggage will come late if you arrive late so pack your jammies! You get off the plane walk to the Magical Express area, get in a really fast lane to check in (only on person has to wait, the rest of your party can stand outside the line with whatever you are carrying with you), and then get in a line for your hotel! super fast, at the most you will wait 30 minutes total in lines and on the bus before you are off, but that is my experience. Also, you can NOT put the DME tags on your bags, retrieve them yourself and then bring them on the bus with you. Also, what I do every trip (since I pack light) is check an extra bag with nothing in it but a case of water, that way I have cheap water and an extra bag to carry stuff home in. I usually also bring a box of breakfast bars to tide us over for an early lunch which gets us to an early dinner which gets us to a fabulous late night snack...

Erica

Upvote 0

sissa216

Now, to complicate matters, you CAN send your luggage by itself back to the airport from your resort, but only in you are flying on one of the "participating airlines." This service, Resort Airline Check-in, is a separate service from DME. But Disney does an inadequate job of explaining this. If you check yiur luggage with RAC (which is like curbside chck-in, only it's in your resort lobby), you can get your body back to the airport any way you'd like. ANd you don't need a reservation to use RAC.

Thanks for this info! I've never heard of that before.
Do you know where I can find out more, such as which are participating airlines? (I'll google in the meantime)
We typically drive; we've only flown a few times. I don't mind picking up my luggage upon arrival, I was really hoping for something like the resort check in for the way back.

Found info for both DME and resort airline check in, in case anyone else needs it:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQDMEPage#s7

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Just a personal preference, but I usually use Quicksilver. I drive enough at home and work, and look forward to not having to get behind the wheel for a few days. I have had rentals when in the area for conference. Negotiating Disney motorways takes a bit of practice, then there is the issue of parking and getting to the park from parking.
Also like the fact that towncar service gets you right to your resort and departs just when you need to to return to the airport, you have access to your luggage immediately, so there is minimal wasted transport time.

Upvote 0

spb825

Original Poster
I have another question: Do you need to make a reservation for Disney Magical Express and how far in advance do you need to if so? I booked my flight on US Airways separate from my booking of Disney trip. Please advise.

Thanks,
Spb825

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I have another question: Do you need to make a reservation for Disney Magical Express and how far in advance do you need to if so? I booked my flight on US Airways separate from my booking of Disney trip. Please advise.

Thanks,
Spb825
Reservations for DME are mandatory. By Disney's contract with the Greater Orlando Airport Authority, DME is not permitted to accomodate "walk ups."

DME is a function of resort reservations. If you are named on a Disney resort reservation, then you qualify for DME. It makes no difference how you book airfare, or whom you booked your airfare or your room through, and so on.

Upvote 0

Rob562

DME must be booked AT LEAST 10 days before your arrival. And I've heard from various sources that it's suggested you book at least 4-6 weeks in advance.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom