Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

cjkeating

True, and even if they would later build the next stages of SW and Frozen, they would still have room for a full, Pandora-scale land in the middle.

As I wrote before and Jeff from ED92 brilliantly had explained, originally, Cars should have been where the big hole between Frozen and the "counter clockwise walk", and Frozen was for Le Parc Disneyland.
Oh well, we'll see what's to come...

Would there still have only been two lands though in the initial phase? Star Wars and Cars Land?

Also where was Frozen going? Behind the Fantasyland Railroad station?

Franklin47disneyguy

They also basically confirmed the addition of rides to Disneyland Parc
"Doubling the capacity of the theme parks, thanks to the opening of NEW ATTRACTIONS in the TWO existing parks, and the possible creation of a THIRD theme park." From Cafefantasia on twitter.

IMDREW

They also basically confirmed the addition of rides to Disneyland Parc
"Doubling the capacity of the theme parks, thanks to the opening of NEW ATTRACTIONS in the TWO existing parks, and the possible creation of a THIRD theme park." From Cafefantasia on twitter.

This sounds really promising!

RunningKoen

Disney is obliged to create a 3th theme parc in Paris and keeps pushing that away.

I dunno where, but i've seen rumours of extra hotels and a location for the long awaited third gate.

fradz

Disney is obliged to create a 3th theme parc in Paris and keeps pushing that away.

I dunno where, but i've seen rumours of extra hotels and a location for the long awaited third gate.
Yes and no. The convention is a bit vague regarding the term "3rd park", but in theory yes they're obliged.

I'm too lazy to look up the plans I've seen before, but:

Capture.JPG

Red = new hotel (moderate pricing, Santa Fe / Cheyenne prices)
Yellow = other hotel site + below the road, another one with a large convention center (more expensive, around the price points of the other Lake hotels)
Blue = 3rd gate site

Red will come first, the other two, it's kind of a mystery when (if) they ever happen

Last edited:

RunningKoen

Everything is always a bit vague, but the intention of the convention is that.

Those are indeed the rumoured spots for more hotels and a 3th gate. The red hotel will be like the all star formula of the WDW resorts: cheaper and several ' wings'

britain

My understanding is that whenever the deadline for the 3rd theme park starts getting close, Disney has successfully negotiated with all involved parties along the lines of "The DLP and WDS need more help - give us 10 more years please."

If all parties agree, that could technically go on forever.

shortstop

Yes and no. The convention is a bit vague regarding the term "3rd park", but in theory yes they're obliged.

I'm too lazy to look up the plans I've seen before, but:

View attachment 319080

Red = new hotel (moderate pricing, Santa Fe / Cheyenne prices)
Yellow = other hotel site + below the road, another one with a large convention center (more expensive, around the price points of the other Lake hotels)
Blue = 3rd gate site

Red will come first, the other two, it's kind of a mystery when (if) they ever happen
How much land does Disney own here? Do they already own the land you highlighted in blue as a potential third gate site? Or is that not how it works in France?

fradz

How much land does Disney own here? Do they already own the land you highlighted in blue as a potential third gate site? Or is that not how it works in France?

I'm gonna quote the 2013 Financial Report of DLP, which explains the situation quite well, even though the document has been re-negotiated in the meanwhile, IIRC:

La Convention prévoit le droit pour le Groupe, sous certaines conditions, d’acquérir auprès d’EPA-France (“Etablissement Public d’Aménagement” du secteur IV de la ville nouvelle de Marne-la-Vallée) les terrains nécessaires au développement de Disneyland® Paris sur le site de Marne-la-Vallée. Ces droits fonciers ne sont comptabilisés à l’actif dans les états financiers consolidés du Groupe qu’à l’acquisition du terrain. Le coût des infrastructures nécessaires pour que l’EPA-France et les autorités publiques françaises viabilisent le terrain avant construction est inclus dans le prix d’acquisition du terrain. Le Groupe supporte également le coût d’études de certains développements et des services destinés à optimiser le développement à venir des terrains non aménagés. Ces coûts sont constatés en charges dès qu’ils sont encourus. L’exercice par le Groupe de ce droit d’acquisition de terrains est soumis à certaines échéances qui, si elles ne sont pas respectées ou modifiées, peuvent entraîner l’extinction d’une partie de ces droits fonciers. La prochaine échéance est fixée au 31 décembre 2020. En outre, les droits d’acquisition relatifs aux terrains non aménagés qui ne sont pas inclus dans une phase de développement ou dont le développement n’a pas été approuvé par le Groupe et les autorités françaises compétentes, expireront en mars 2030. Au 30 septembre 2013, toutes les échéances de développement minimal ont été respectées et aucun droit foncier n’a expiré sans avoir été utilisé.

Basically, the "Convention", an official document between Disney and the French govt, allows Disney to buy the land in the "big circle" (+-) at a very affordable price. This "Convention" states that, to use this amazing opportunity, Disney has to respect some development engagements and deadlines; i.e: you get cheap land, but you need to grow the economy/size of the resort. This convention has been re-negotiated multiple times to push back deadlines (for the 3rd gate, for example).
Disney has used these rights before. What they've also done a couple of years ago, is buy that chunk of land below WDSP and re-sell it at a premium for housing development, to make a decent profit out of it.

Land_sale_wds.PNG

(approximate drawing, all this can be found in official documents)

britain

I'm gonna quote the 2013 Financial Report of DLP, which explains the situation quite well, even though the document has been re-negotiated in the meanwhile, IIRC:

La Convention prévoit le droit pour le Groupe, sous certaines conditions, d’acquérir auprès d’EPA-France (“Etablissement Public d’Aménagement” du secteur IV de la ville nouvelle de Marne-la-Vallée) les terrains nécessaires au développement de Disneyland® Paris sur le site de Marne-la-Vallée. Ces droits fonciers ne sont comptabilisés à l’actif dans les états financiers consolidés du Groupe qu’à l’acquisition du terrain. Le coût des infrastructures nécessaires pour que l’EPA-France et les autorités publiques françaises viabilisent le terrain avant construction est inclus dans le prix d’acquisition du terrain. Le Groupe supporte également le coût d’études de certains développements et des services destinés à optimiser le développement à venir des terrains non aménagés. Ces coûts sont constatés en charges dès qu’ils sont encourus. L’exercice par le Groupe de ce droit d’acquisition de terrains est soumis à certaines échéances qui, si elles ne sont pas respectées ou modifiées, peuvent entraîner l’extinction d’une partie de ces droits fonciers. La prochaine échéance est fixée au 31 décembre 2020. En outre, les droits d’acquisition relatifs aux terrains non aménagés qui ne sont pas inclus dans une phase de développement ou dont le développement n’a pas été approuvé par le Groupe et les autorités françaises compétentes, expireront en mars 2030. Au 30 septembre 2013, toutes les échéances de développement minimal ont été respectées et aucun droit foncier n’a expiré sans avoir été utilisé.

Basically, the "Convention", an official document between Disney and the French govt, allows Disney to buy the land in the "big circle" (+-) at a very affordable price. This "Convention" states that, to use this amazing opportunity, Disney has to respect some development engagements and deadlines; i.e: you get cheap land, but you need to grow the economy/size of the resort. This convention has been re-negotiated multiple times to push back deadlines (for the 3rd gate, for example).
Disney has used these rights before. What they've also done a couple of years ago, is buy that chunk of land below WDSP and re-sell it at a premium for housing development, to make a decent profit out of it.

View attachment 319122

Man, I remember when the park was new, and it was just fields everywhere around it.

AndyS2992

Man, I remember when the park was new, and it was just fields everywhere around it.
That’s how most Disney parks start out. Disneyland California was surrounded by Orange groves, Disney World was all swamp land, Paris was fields, Hong Kong is hills. Only Shanghai and Tokyo were built in well developed areas.

It bothers me when people build houses around the parks and then the residents moan about the noise and fireworks and stuff. They knew what they were getting themselves in to when they moved in. The parks were there first.

Last edited:

RunningKoen

View attachment 319122

That area is the purple segment in the official documents released this week, right?

Indy_UK

I thought it was an odd choice to bring it back anyway. Just close the theatre and work on improving the Marvel one

cjkeating

I thought it was an odd choice to bring it back anyway. Just close the theatre and work on improving the Marvel one

I agree that the Marvel show needs work however most of the changes won't take place until they start rehearsals with a new cast next year. Cinemagique seemed like a cheap/easy/quick solution to give WDSP a bit of extra capacity over Christmas and make up for Animagique Theatre not being utilised in January as well as an additional indoors attraction during the cold winter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom