Trans-Atlantic in May?

Sloppy Skunk

Original Poster
My family and I are going on the 2 week trans-Atlantic cruise to Europe on the Disney Magic in May. I'm absurdly excited, but I also have a ton of questions. I could go on-and-on, but here's my main two questions:

1. Any idea as to what the weather is like in the middle of the ocean in mid May? I don't have a clue how to pack

2. There's a 6 day stretch where we're stuck on the boat, as we are crossing the Atlantic. Any suggestions for the best way to spend our time? I'm sure the shows are amazing. But is there anything like trivia or games during the day? There are 8 of us going, with me being the youngest (23, but turning 24 on the boat!) so we don't need to worry about entertaining kids. I'm sure I can keep my self perfectly entertained just relaxing and reading a book, but I'd love to know what kind of day-time activities are offered.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT: I like how I'm "New Here" despite being a member since 2003. I just don't post much!

zurgandfriend

First let me say I have not been on a Disney Cruise ship but I have experienced the North Atlantic in the spring traveling on Naval vessels and in a word it was rough. The North Atlantic is famous for it's spring storms.

I know that modern cruise ships have stabilizers that should help greatly. If you fear sea sickness there are drugs including a patch that will also help.

Disneyfalcon

14 days! I'm jealous!!:)

Don't worry at all about being entertained during the day! On sea days especially, Disney has activities going all day. You'll get the next days schedule, called your Personal Navigator, every night in your room.

Many days we had a hard time choosing. You'll see things like wine tasting, animation classes, cooking demonstrations, dance classes, bingo, and the list goes on and on.

Blonde Princess

3 years ago we did the repositioning cruise back from Europe in August.
There were people on our cruise who had taken the cruise over to Europe in the May. They said that it was very cool and damp. They had high seas. The pool was closed 2 days and pool water was actually spilling up out of the pools. That being said they said that it was a great cruise with lots of additional activities inside the ship in the various areas. I don't know if they experienced a storm but I believe that the trip over to Europe is rockier than the trip back

ChuckElias

1. Any idea as to what the weather is like in the middle of the ocean in mid May? I don't have a clue how to pack
I am not an expert, and I certainly don't want to scare or dissuade you from your cruise. (You just know there's a "but" coming, right?)

BUT. . .

When we did the Med Cruise in '07, we had several crew members tell us that the crossing to Europe was very difficult. Cold and very rough seas. They said the dining rooms were half-full at best on several nights. Having said that, we did not hear any of those stories when we did the Northern Capitals last summer.

Again, I'm not an expert, so definitely check with someone who has experience with this type of crossing; but we heard very unpleasant stories in '07.

Disneyfalcon

I've heard of some very rough crossings and some smooth as silk. It's really hard to predict, but definitely prepare for both!

Bluewaves

May on a cruise ship in the middle of the atlantic is not going to be fun, expect it to be cold and potentially rough weather, remember the water temp of the ocean at best is going to be in the low 50's and that'll affect the air temperature and being that your in the middle of the ocean there is nothing to slow down winds and seas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom