News Toy Story Mania to be available via standby queue ahead of entrance relocation

DisneyDreamerxyz

what do you guys think will happen to Pixar Place? are they going to just build a giant wall with maybe one of those large swinging doors for only castmembers to go through ? am I correct that now guests will be funneled out the exit and lead down a path on the other side of the building back into Toy Story Land?

ColinDLR

what do you guys think will happen to Pixar Place? are they going to just build a giant wall with maybe one of those large swinging doors for only castmembers to go through ? am I correct that now guests will be funneled out the exit and lead down a path on the other side of the building back into Toy Story Land?
Yes. I assume the wall blocking Pixar Place will be maybe themed to a fence and will be pretty nondescript. The exit for TSM will lead back out the new entrance building addition back into the center of TSL.

DisneyDreamerxyz

Yes. I assume the wall blocking Pixar Place will be maybe themed to a fence and will be pretty nondescript. The exit for TSM will lead back out the new entrance building addition back into the center of TSL.

it will be interesting to see how they do it! I'm also interested in how they will keep guests from going over to the areas near Star Wars Land, (or close to it). + how they will block off the area near the entrance to Toy Story Land that goes behind the Walt Disney Presents building.

With all the people flooding in this new area, they will have to make it clear what areas are for cast-members only.

nickys

Premium Member
it will be interesting to see how they do it! I'm also interested in how they will keep guests from going over to the areas near Star Wars Land, (or close to it). + how they will block off the area near the entrance to Toy Story Land that goes behind the Walt Disney Presents building.

With all the people flooding in this new area, they will have to make it clear what areas are for cast-members only.

Temporary walls spring to mind.

Bummed that this ride will be closed the week we visit. Our lame luck. Turns out that this week in June is one VERY unlucky time to have planned a Disney vacation.

First was the news that TSL wasn’t going to be open yet despite the Memorial Day predictions. ‘Oh well,’ we told ourselves. ‘Let’s look at the silver lining that crowds might not be so bad.’ Then we got news that Animal Kingsom was going to extend EMH to everyday of our trip but since we are staying off-site that has shot our plans to rope drop Flight of Passage. ‘Lame,’ we told ourselves, ‘but there’s still a lot of other things we can check out at Animal Kingdom and in a few years on our next Disney vacation we can check out Pandora for the first time then.’ And today we get the news that in addition to not being lucky enough to see TSL, we can’t even ride Toy Story Midway Mania. Having a ride like that closed during an already busy time of the year certainly is not going to help the crowd situation but I understand it had to be done sometime for TSL (like @Goofyernmost said, you’ve gotta break some eggs to make an omelette...I feel like an egg). Just a sucky string of unpredictable events. Don’t get me wrong, we’ll still have fun. Just let me Eeyore this string of Disney bummers for a moment. Please no more news announcements altering our vacation anymore than it already has been. Smh. Sheesh.

Thoughts on whether Hollywood Studios would even be worth a day (we don’t have park hopper tickets so it’d be the whole day) without Toy Story Mania? I feel like it was already sorta borderline to skip and I’m thinking this news may put it over the top. Note: our daughters are ages 8, 5, and 3 so I’m not sure what all they could really even experience at Hollywood Studios or if they’d get far more out of an additional day at another park.

Last edited:

J. D.

Thoughts on whether Hollywood Studios would even be worth a day (we don’t have park hopper tickets so it’d be the whole day) without Toy Story Mania? I feel like it was already sorta borderline to skip and I’m thinking this news may put it over the top. Note: our daughters are ages 8, 5, and 3 so I’m not sure what all they could really even experience at Hollywood Studios or if they’d get far more out of an additional day at another park.
I'd say it mainly depends on how much your daughters are willing to watch shows and meet characters as opposed to going on rides.

I wonder how the closing of Toy Story Mania (25% of the parks rides) for a week will impact the lines for Aerosmith, ToT, and Star Tours? I'd imagine those 3 lines would certainly be longer...or perhaps somewhat negligible if less folks with young kiddos will attend DHS that week when they consider Toy Story Mania is closed? Lots of variables so it may be hard to discern how much is a result of Toy Story Mania being closed for a week.

"Incredible Summer" indeed.

Last edited:
I'd say it mainly depends on how much your daughters are willing to watch shows and meet characters as opposed to going on rides.

Yeah, we're about to figure out how much meeting these characters only in DHS is really worth to our kiddos and also how bad they'd really want to see MuppetVision or Beauty and the Beast vs. going on a lot more rides elsewhere. Thinking about giving the kids the "would you rather" scenarios (e.g., would you rather see a few shows and meet Olaf or go on all these rides at Magic Kingdom again).

I agree with others who've posted elsewhere that it seems like they should have at least thrown in an extra parade or something at DHS during construction of TSL, especially for the week that Toy Story Mania will be down. Or maybe go crazy by pulling those lesser known/orlder characters out of storage for meet and greets in DHS that whole week. I know that occasionally there are surprise character paloozas here and there in an unpredictable fashion, but it seems like to thin the crowds in some of the other remaining 3 rides and still draw some to the park that week maybe palooza-esque meet and greets should be planned and announced for the whole week maybe. I mean I get that this is probably a bad idea for a few reasons, I'm not getting paid by Disney to be an expert on these things. But it's surprising to me, as only a casual every few years (max) visitor, that there's not some sort of adjustment. We all agree the park is lacking and they're working to fix this problem (TSL, Runaway, Galaxy's Edge) but in the meantime to just say, 'hey we're closing 1 of our 4 rides for a week while making these changes' is a big eye-opener. Keep doing what you're doing to fix this decade-long issue Disney but while working on the remedy at least provide some bandaids--otherwise it feels like you're just flicking the wound. I know it's only a week but c'mon, for some people that week is their only shot at getting to know Disney in a long time. It's pretty messed up that my next trip to one of your theme parks could easily be a weaker experience than it was 3 years ago (larger crowds and less things to do). Again, I get that they're doing what they can to fix this bad situation but there's got to be things that can happen to enhance the experience at DHS while construction is happening.

Even if us adults wanted to try ToT, Star Tours, or Aerosmith I'm imagining those lines might be longer considering how much the already dismal park will be reduced by taking out 1 of its 4 rides for a week.

exnihlio13

I wonder how the closing of Toy Story Mania (25% of the parks rides) for a week will impact the lines for Aerosmith, ToT, and Star Tours? I'd imagine those 3 lines would certainly be longer...or perhaps somewhat negligible if less folks with young kiddos will attend DHS that week when they consider Toy Story Mania is closed? Lots of variables so it may be hard to discern how much is a result of Toy Story Mania being closed for a week.
I think it's more of the latter..that DHS will actually have a fair bit less traffic..especially in the afternoon once people realize they've done all there is to do and will park Hop.
We're supposed to be there this Sunday morning but with the call for rain and none of our fastpasses really all that relevant I'm kinda considering if we may hit a different park in the morning and then go back in the afternoon/evening when a lot of people have likely left. We've never seen Fantasmic and are keen to but it certainly not worth sticking around a park all day for after you've seen most of the shows.

Currently our fastpasses are:
9:00am - Tower of Terror (4) - 8 year old and 11 year old highly unlikely to go on which leaves my wife with them and me going solo.
10:05am - Star Tours (2) - my son and I
10:05am - Voyage of the Little Mermaid (2) - my daughter and wife. Both felt noxious on Star Tours last time.
12:30pm - Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage (4) - although I hoped this was a placeholder and could be switched to Toy Story Mania with a day of fastpass (though that seems less likely now)

My wife and I may take turns single ridering Rock 'n roller.
We've all seen Frozen Sing along (although enjoyed it)
We'd like to see Indiana Jones (but could catch an afternoon show)

It's pretty crazy how impactful TSMM being less available really drops the parks appeal (noteworthy: my family LOVES this ride. Rode it twice last year and would have done it a 3rd time if we could have.) . I'm tempted to bail on DHS until the afternoon and start the day in another park like Magic Kingdom morning early afternoon instead and then to DHS to see what we can get and catch Fantastic in the evening.

exnihlio13

If this closure ruins your DHS day, I'd call Disney customer service, explain the situation, ask for "a little magic" if they can convert, for free, one of your day tickets to a hopper so you can do half a day at DHS and then the rest of the day at the park of your choice.
Totally agree for those going in June during that ride closure week. You didn't know the ride would be closed when you booked your tickets and there's was no indication it would be full on closed (unless you cruise these boards where people suspected it could happen but THEY don't need to know that).
It would be reasonable for Disney to try and do a little something to help compensate and a park hopper add on for that day (if you don't already have it) would be pretty easy. Or even Park Hopper Plus so you could hit up a water park maybe.

If this closure ruins your DHS day, I'd call Disney customer service, explain the situation, ask for "a little magic" if they can convert, for free, one of your day tickets to a hopper so you can do half a day at DHS and then the rest of the day at the park of your choice.

We have nothing to lose so we gave it a polite shot...

Totally agree for those going in June during that ride closure week. You didn't know the ride would be closed when you booked your tickets and there's was no indication it would be full on closed (unless you cruise these boards where people suspected it could happen but THEY don't need to know that).
It would be reasonable for Disney to try and do a little something to help compensate and a park hopper add on for that day (if you don't already have it) would be pretty easy. Or even Park Hopper Plus so you could hit up a water park maybe.

...makes sense, but the answer was no. Just politely pointed out that now it seems there are no rides for our kiddos in that park the week we'll be there. We'd love to catch the shows but not sure it's worth the whole day without a park hopper option. They replied that they couldn't do a single day park hopper option for our base tickets but said if we'd like to pay to upgrade for a park hopper option for our entire week we could do so. Um, I appreciate the "up-sale" but no thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom