Toy Story mania Question

Patrick_Ears

Okay by reading the post on here the race to Toy Story Mania is like a cattle heard and trying to get a fastpass for it in the morning. Here is my question......

If the park has EMH that day would it be worth it to skip it during the day and maybe ride it at night when the park closes to the public?? :shrug:

or do i make a fast dash to it at rope drop and get the fass pass??

Has anyone else done this way before?

If you want to know when i will be there, i wll be there with the family the week after Easter.

sweetpee_1993

I was curious so I looked for videos. This one is pretty good but it doesn't really show the craziness because the person making the video was in the front. At :15 they look back and you can see how big the crowd waiting was. When they first start walking forward towards the cast members my heart started pounding just from watching. That's how stressful this process is for me and I hate that! Then this video is a good example of how long the FP line will be within 5 to 10 minutes of the rope drop. Isn't it insane?!

Upvote 0

Patrick_Ears

Original Poster
I was curious so I looked for videos. This one is pretty good but it doesn't really show the craziness because the person making the video was in the front. At :15 they look back and you can see how big the crowd waiting was. When they first start walking forward towards the cast members my heart started pounding just from watching. That's how stressful this process is for me and I hate that! Then this video is a good example of how long the FP line will be within 5 to 10 minutes of the rope drop. Isn't it insane?!

Yeah i seen that. Thank you for posting that. That is crazy!!! :p

This is going to be fun trying to get to the ride in the morning. I will have to post what had happend when we go. But everyone will have to wait till i get back after Easter.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

I've never understood why the Imagineers didn't make this ride to accomodate more people per hour. Coudln't they have designed it somehow as a continous moving ride like Buzz or HMansion? Just put in more screens for games to play like of the last games you play where it is continous and Woody says "Keep shootin" as your moving.
Hopefully, if more rides go in one day it will help the lines here.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Impossible. The ride system over-taxes the computer servers that they have as it is, and the ride has periodic break-downs for simple computer re-sets.
I don't think they ever imagined the ride would become the most popular one at DHS when they were designing the rides. But it's like Soarin' -- almost every man, woman, child, no matter what age, shape, size can ride it, so it's incredibly popular. The only way they could increase capacity would be to build a complete parallel track (ala Space Mountain) and that is simply something that isn't in the budget (TSMM not only is one of the coolest new rides, it is also one of the most expensive they have ever created).

As to the Mr. Potato Head photo thing -- it makes ZERO difference in wait time -- you still have 8 minutes of line in front of you -- if someone snaps a photo (which take seconds, so the poster above exaggerates waiting 5 minutes, even if it took an entire minute) you STILL have the entire staircase queue ahead of you to wait in.

That is one of those things that the Imagineers DID take into consideration - and it makes zero difference in line wait time.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Okay by reading the post on here the race to Toy Story Mania is like a cattle heard and trying to get a fastpass for it in the morning. Here is my question......

If the park has EMH that day would it be worth it to skip it during the day and maybe ride it at night when the park closes to the public?? :shrug:

If you want to know when i will be there, i wll be there with the family the week after Easter.

We did this last week by necessity because our flight didn't arrive in Orlando until late afternoon, so we arrived at DHS around 6pm. The park closed at 7pm and there were EMH until 10pm. Of course there were no more FPs at 6pm, so we waited until about 8pm when the park had cleared out a fair bit, and we waited on the standby line which was only 40 minutes long. However, bear in mind that the crowd levels were fairly low last week and they will not be low Easter week, so I do think your best bet would be to get those FPs first thing in the morning.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I rode TSMM three times, without a Fastpass, when I was there February 3. The longest wait was 30 mins, the shortest 15. The wait time posted outside was definitely inflated saying it was 70 mins. And this was peak time too, around 2 to 4 p.m., and even though all the FP were gone, I rarely saw anyone use the line, so the regular line kept moving swiftly.

My case was unusual though because it was the low season, but after that trip I'm not sure I ever want to go back any other time of year. It was so relaxing to feel like I wasn't being rushed. I'll be returning April 2, but I'm trying to remind myself not to expect that sort of leisurely tour around the parks again.

I will say this though, the interactive Mr. Potato Head is the reason the line holds up. Parents think this is a PERFECT time to snap pictures. Its not, and I find it rude and annoying. When I was there, this lady kept everyone waiting for about a full 5 minutes until she got the picture right. Disney should really have a CM there to keep the line moving.

Last week I found that the picture taking had no effect whatsoever on the line. Yes it slowed up there for a few moments, but there was still a line in front of that area for quite a ways, so although it created a brief gap in the line, it certainly did not slow the line down in any way.

Upvote 0

Tigger1988

I've never understood why the Imagineers didn't make this ride to accomodate more people per hour. Coudln't they have designed it somehow as a continous moving ride like Buzz or HMansion? Just put in more screens for games to play like of the last games you play where it is continous and Woody says "Keep shootin" as your moving.

That would be so not enjoyable, not stopping to actually play any of the games? No thanks.

Upvote 0

Cmoore12282

Just a general observation my wife and I have made is that DHS is the most crowded on EMH/Fantasmic days. Several times we have walked around for half and hour, saw the wait times and then hopped on the boat to epcot because it wasn't worth it. We've only gone in september and even though the crowds are lighter, hollywood was always packed those afternoons/evenings and pretty dead without emh or fantasmic. I will say that is later in the day, im sure earlier morning is a herd no matter what, especially near easter.

Upvote 0

fosse76

I've never seen the standby line shorter than the usual hour or so even during evening EMH. Can't vouch for the early hours, we don't make it to those. I guess do the FP dash at rope drop or prepare to stand in a line for an hour. Stinks, really.

I have. While the posted what time has stated 70 minutes or more, I only once waited 70 minutes, otherwise it's always been less than an hour. When I was there last month, BOTH times I rode the wait was only 35 minutes (despite the the posted wait time of 60 minutes).

If you arrive in early in the morning, at park opening or around 10am, just get in line. I never understand people who will wait 20 minutes at 9:30am JUST to get a FP for a return time after 3pm, when if they had simply got in the Standby line they would be waiting about 30 minutes.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I have. While the posted what time has stated 70 minutes or more, I only once waited 70 minutes, otherwise it's always been less than an hour. When I was there last month, BOTH times I rode the wait was only 35 minutes (despite the the posted wait time of 60 minutes).

If you arrive in early in the morning, at park opening or around 10am, just get in line. I never understand people who will wait 20 minutes at 9:30am JUST to get a FP for a return time after 3pm, when if they had simply got in the Standby line they would be waiting about 30 minutes.

I think the standby vs. actual wait time is interesting. I hear this alot. Is this intentional or them playing it safe by posting a longer time than what it actually is to prevent the grumpies from pitching a 5-star fit if the wait is 30 seconds longer than posted?

For the record, I've never waited 20 minutes for a FP at rope drop either. :animwink: My brother (obrienIII) and I have a little technique going. We're usually one of the first few people to slide their tickets into the FP kiosks in spite of starting out 10-12 people deep in the pack. He's always first to one of them. I think I was 4th last trip. I just don't enjoy the stress of doing any of it which I realize I totally do to myself. We're starting to find we'd rather move in the opposite direction of the herd. :D

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Our kids love, love, love this ride. As someone else said earlier it is one of the only fun family rides that kids of all ages can ride w/their families. We still have some who are not tall enough for ToT or RnRR. We always arrive early so we can be there at rope drop. Our oldest daughter gets the FP's for TSMM and we meet up with her then we all jump in line and ride once. This way we are sure to get to ride at least two times on one visit to the Studios. Occasionally we get right back in line because stand by isn't too long so we can get three rides in. I doubt we will do that this trip because we are going in early June and I know the Studios will be packed on the Saturday for SWW. Generally we can get TSMM, ToT and RnRR all done in that first early hour or the first hour and a half...depending on TSMM wait time (and if we ride it twice in a row).

Upvote 0

stratman50th

The first year we rode it was in 09'. We got in the standby line around 3:00 and waited for 90 minutes.
Last year we did the rope drop thing and it was well worth it. We were back by 1:00PM. They do quickly run out of fast passes and the EMH (in my experience) the line just stays full.

Upvote 0

WDW2010

Went to Hollywood Studios on the 3rd, this was my second trip to WDW and I missed this ride last time. Fastpasses were out after roughly an hour, and I waited in line for about 2 hours then I was so aggravated and walked away lol. This year, the park opened and I ran to get a fast pass and I was in luck to get 4 of them. It was well worth it, I love this ride.

Upvote 0

PartOfYourWorld

This past January waited about 15-20 minutes just to get a fastpass :brick:It was crazy!!! Then me and my mom hopped over in the stand-by line which as others have said here they always inflate we never usually wait that long, and we make sure to always ride it multiple times because its one of our favorites! Even at night during EMH it was pretty long as well.

Upvote 0

juniorthomas

I say you fast dash it. If only because the line will be shorter immediately. You could ride it then and then hit the fast pass return later. Its a ride you'll want to go on twice.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

It is insane, and there's no way to avoid that tsunami of people either way.....

I've usually been the volunteer to get our family (4) the FPs while my wife takes the kids onto the ride. Yeah, I miss out on hitting twice in one day, but we also usually hit DHS more than once during our trips.....

As for attempting to ride it later in the day or at night, all I can say is "Good Luck." I've seen very long wait times for TSMM even on the quietest of park days, with the CMs denying entrance at the end of the night to walk-ons.

Upvote 0

eroyee

Seriously, be there for rope drop. Head with the masses to TSMM and get in line for fastpasses. then, get in standby line and ride. It wasnt that long a wait for us and we got to ride twice in one morning. It was well worth it....

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

We are going to DW the first week of May and we're going to DHS on a day when there is no morning or evening EMH and no Fantasmic. We do plan on being there for rope drop to join the masses headed to TSMM. This will be our first time attempting this because when we went in November my mother went to get FP around 10am and they ran out right before she got up to the machine. What time should we be there before rope drop at 9am? I want to make sure we're some of the first people in line!!! Still have yet to ride TSMM...

Upvote 0

Disney05

The crowd of people is amazing! I'd love to see it from the air. Must look like a giant snake slithering it's way to TSM. We did this last year but opted to go on the ride instead of getting a FP. The wait was about 15-20 minutes.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We are going to DW the first week of May and we're going to DHS on a day when there is no morning or evening EMH and no Fantasmic. We do plan on being there for rope drop to join the masses headed to TSMM. This will be our first time attempting this because when we went in November my mother went to get FP around 10am and they ran out right before she got up to the machine. What time should we be there before rope drop at 9am? I want to make sure we're some of the first people in line!!! Still have yet to ride TSMM...

8:30-ish? I can't honestly say because we often have breakfast there before the parks open, and queue up in a line off Hollywood Blvd. I do know the lines outside the main gates can fill up pretty quickly. But, some of the people will invariably head off to ToT and RnRC....

Regardless, the CMs do a pretty good job of keeping order on the way back to TSMM. The queue for the FPs will extend quickly, but that's more due to the speed of the machines as much as anything else.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom