Toy Story Mania Layout

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that queue configuration, trying to fit as much maze into a space as possible. Although its making me wonder, with the hype that this attraction may get, don't you think the queue is a little too small for the attraction? I can see there may be an outside queue area for overflow. How they will do that I don't know, considering there is not much "standing in line for an attraction" room on Mickey Ave.
I think you're right. I don't think there is a lot of room for overflow. However, they can keep overflow to a minimum if the capacity of the ride is high. Does anyone know/have a guess on number of riders/hr?

Space Mountain

I think the queue is a decent size. That line looks small compared to the ride track but imagine a person fitting into the space on the blueprint. I think there will be enough room for 45-60 minutes of guests waiting. Also the circles in the queue are probably where the rails end to switch the direction of the queues based on the amount of people queing for the attraction. And yes Mr. Potato Head is supposed to be in the queue. To me it looks like he will be where the stand by and fastpass line merge. That also has the be the queue for sure. There really is no other explanation. There is also 2 doors at the rear which i think will be used as emergency exits.

Rob562

I would be willing to bet the circles shown in the queue area are the typical wheel chair turning radius seen on most architectural drawings. I have a feeling the entire queue will most likely be fully accessible, allowing family members in wheel chairs to wait with their family.

Oh, I have no doubt that the queue itself will be wheelchair accessible. I'm just saying that I think they'll have a separate off-line loading area when they get to the front of the queue, just like the Safaris.

-Rob

hauntdmansion79

Just for the fun of it I thought I'd play around with this. I erased the generic grid across the image and removed some of the noise which made it a lot easier to look at. Added some color and tried to identify the queues.

Wow, that all makes perfect sense to me....great job! To start, I thought it was awesome someone found this blueprint (very exciting and sneeky), then I thought it was nice that someone increased the contrast, and then this...we have some talented people on these boards....talented people with time on their hands. I wish I had that kind of time to tinker with images in Photoshop too but.....here comes my boss, got to minimize the window:lookaroun

TS MANIA Potato Head

Does this mean that Once Upon A Toy will release exclusive "Toy Story Mania" Mr. Potato Head parts?:animwink:

You can tell by my screen name that being Mr. Potato Head for a day would be my Disney Dream Job!

WDWFigment

I don't expect this to be a typical E-Ticket ride (at least as far as details, longevity, etc are considered), but as far as popularity and length of wait, I imagine it will be very comparable to an E-Ticket attraction. There sadly just aren't that many big draws at MGM.

basas

I don't expect this to be a typical E-Ticket ride (at least as far as details, longevity, etc are considered), but as far as popularity and length of wait, I imagine it will be very comparable to an E-Ticket attraction. There sadly just aren't that many big draws at MGM.

Especially since it'll be the only 'all family dark ride' at MGM. In my opinion, all queues should be built to accommodate 2-3 hour waits minimum. Nothing worse then having lines spilling out all over the place. Seen IOA’s queues? Now those are a good size…

Xadllas

Especially since it'll be the only 'all family dark ride' at MGM. In my opinion, all queues should be built to accommodate 2-3 hour waits minimum. Nothing worse then having lines spilling out all over the place. Seen IOA’s queues? Now those are a good size…
Whats sad is IOA rarely uses alot of those queues...

basas

Whats sad is IOA rarely uses alot of those queues...

I know, but at least you don't have overcrowding problems, and queues spilling into walkways which cause congestion, confusion, and line cutters. I'd rather have too much queue than too little. Most of the IOA queues are very well themed too (and then they have an outdoor 'extended' section that is usually just lightly-themed switchbacks...it works really well).

jcowens2000

tsm.jpg

Hi,
I want to give credit to mickhyperion for getting me hooked on trying to understand this blueprint and his colorized version. I thought I would throw my 2 cents in:

The long zig zag hallways must be a queue. However, I think that at some point the guests end up on what I believe to be the loading zone "island" colored in orange on my pic. Dont ask me how the queues bridge to one another. Maybe some of the corridors are ramps which go up or down other parts of the queue (reference Splash Mountain queue). The unloading would happen where some have theorized is the loading platform. At the end of the ride, you would step off the vehicle and leave via a corridor I have colored in purple. Then the vehicles would move individually or all 4 together to the loading zone. There, your party in one queue and the other “team” that rides behind you wait for the cars to pull up. You load back to back and you’re on your way!

Yes, I have too much time on my hands, but that peculiar island (in orange) was driving me mad! Also, I tried to white out the grid that lays over the blueprint. That explains some white lines and small gaps.
Maurice

SeanC

tsm.jpg

Hi,
I want to give credit to mickhyperion for getting me hooked on trying to understand this blueprint and his colorized version. I thought I would throw my 2 cents in:

The long zig zag hallways must be a queue. However, I think that at some point the guests end up on what I believe to be the loading zone "island" colored in orange on my pic. Dont ask me how the queues bridge to one another. Maybe some of the corridors are ramps which go up or down other parts of the queue (reference Splash Mountain queue). The unloading would happen where some have theorized is the loading platform. At the end of the ride, you would step off the vehicle and leave via a corridor I have colored in purple. Then the vehicles would move individually or all 4 together to the loading zone. There, your party in one queue and the other “team” that rides behind you wait for the cars to pull up. You load back to back and you’re on your way!

Yes, I have too much time on my hands, but that peculiar island (in orange) was driving me mad! Also, I tried to white out the grid that lays over the blueprint. That explains some white lines and small gaps.
Maurice

Only flaw with your proposed unload is it doesn't explain the track switches to the left of the boarding zone...they would be irrevelant

I'd venture to agree with those who guessed that area is handicapped loading, which might also indicate there is a stair bridge of some sort to the loading island

CTXRover

Christmas weekend? sounds like a rush job to me. Knowing Lasseter though it will not be ready until Spring 2008 and be an absoluetly amazing attraction.

The only thing that scares me is that there gonna try to rush the Florida version out fast and it won't be as good as the California Adventure version.

Don't forget they have techinically been working on this new ride since August 19th, 2006 when Millionaire closed even though it was just recently announced officially 1 1/2 months ago. Sure there was period where they had to dismantle the Millonaire set (which probably could have been done in a week's time) and lay down the basic framework for the new ride, but they already had the perfect show building built for it (a big open box) and just have to install the ride inside. Out at DCA, they don't even have the basic framework for a showbuilding built yet! For reference, if my memory serves me right, a similar time period of about a year and a half is about all it took to convert King Kong to the Revenge of the Mummy at USF, so a very late 2007, early 2008 opening is probably not a bad bet.

Rob562

Only flaw with your proposed unload is it doesn't explain the track switches to the left of the boarding zone...they would be irrevelant

I'd venture to agree with those who guessed that area is handicapped loading, which might also indicate there is a stair bridge of some sort to the loading island

I, too, had been perplexed by that white area in the middle, but now that he's colored it in, I agree that the central island must be the loading area. But, I think it might ALSO be the unloading area. Load from the top, unload toward the bottom. The larger loop then may be the off-line load/unload area. So when the vehicles leave the loading area (or upon returning to it, depending on the direction of travel the ride takes), they scoot around the shorter track. The handicapped boarding area is the larger platform on the left. Four cars will probably be assigned to this boarding area. So when they're dispatched into the ride, they ALL go in together, and when they get back to the load/unload platform, they jsut keep on driving past and back to the off-line handicapped zone.

Note that after the merge point in the queue, it splits off into two different queues at a 45-degree angle, each leading to one end or the other of this supposed handicapped loading area. If you look just to the LEFT of this split, I think that's where the ramps are to go up and over to the loading "island". Note the little arrows that look like < and > denoting the ramp going up.

So, when a handicapped person arrives at this point in the queue (possibly also manned by the FastPass/Standby merge CM) the CM will usher the wheelchair groups to either the Farm or the Space handicapped queues, perhaps also sending a few non-handicapped parties with them to fill up the cars. Then they'll resume sending Guests to the ramp up and over the track.

-Rob

Rob562

Don't forget they have techinically been working on this new ride since August 19th, 2006 when Millionaire closed even though it was just recently announced officially 1 1/2 months ago. Sure there was period where they had to dismantle the Millonaire set (which probably could have been done in a week's time) and lay down the basic framework for the new ride, but they already had the perfect show building built for it (a big open box) and just have to install the ride inside. Out at DCA, they don't even have the basic framework for a showbuilding built yet! For reference, if my memory serves me right, a similar time period of about a year and a half is about all it took to convert King Kong to the Revenge of the Mummy at USF, so a very late 2007, early 2008 opening is probably not a bad bet.

Also, if the on-ride scenery is primarily projection screens, (which it sounds liek it is) it'll speed up the installation even more. While Spiderman at IOA is a lot of screens, there's a lot of physical effects, too.
I'm sure WDI already set the entire attraction up in a large warehouse in California and tested out all the projections and interactive computer technology. So all that needs to be done is prep the pre-existing building, pack everything up, move it to Florida and install it in the new location with some test and adjust in the new digs.

-Rob

mickhyperion

Here's an update based on a lot of the ideas posted in the discussion so far. I agree that the merged queue (aqua) looks like it either goes up or down ramps and crosses over to the loading area "island" (yellow) by either going over the track or under it then back up or down more ramps in the loading area. I think the unloading area (plum) is opposite the loading area. I also agree about the location of the handicapped loading area (light purple) and the direction of the ride going in a clockwise direction.

It's interesting to note that the name of the original pic posted is "NorthHalf1stFloor.jpg" which seems to indicate that there is more than one floor and probably a south half of the building somewhere. It's possible that the ride or queue extends into other areas not shown here.

I'm wondering where the ride stops are to play the games. At least it's my understanding that there are ride stops. Or will the action be continuous like Buzz Lightyear?

Standby Queue - Bright Green Line
FastPass Queue - Bright Pink Line
Merged Queue - Aqua
Loading - Yellow
Handicapped Loading - Light Purple
Handicapped Loading Track - Yellow Dotted Line
Unloading - Plum
Ride Beginning - Red
Ride Option A - Blue
Ride Option B - Green
Ride Conclusion - Orange
Ride Track - Yellow Line
Maintenance Track - White Dotted Line
Maintenance Building (Right Side) - Beige
Bathrooms (Bottom) - Beige

TSM_NorthHalf1stFloor-02.jpg

Rwall10279

Here's an update based on a lot of the ideas posted in the discussion so far. I agree that the merged queue (teal) looks like it either goes up or down ramps and crosses over to the loading area "island" (yellow) by either going over the track or under it then back up or down more ramps in the loading area. I think the unloading area (plum) is opposite the loading area. I also agree about the location of the handicapped loading area (light purple) and the direction of the ride going in a clockwise direction.

It's interesting to note that the name of the original pic posted is "NorthHalf1stFloor.jpg" which seems to indicate that there is more than one floor and probably a south half of the building somewhere. It's possible that the ride or queue extends into other areas not shown here.

I'm wondering where the ride stops are to play the games. At least it's my understanding that there are ride stops. Or will the action be continuous like Buzz Lightyear?

Standby Queue - Dark Green
FastPass Queue - Hot Pink
Merged Queue - Teal
Loading - Yellow
Handicapped Loading - Light Purple
Handicapped Loading Track - Yellow Dotted Line
Unloading - Plum
Ride Beginning - Red
Ride Option A - Blue
Ride Option B - Green
Ride Conclusion - Orange
Ride Track - Yellow Line
Maintenance Track - White Dotted Line
Maintenance Building (Right Side) - Beige
Bathrooms (Bottom) - Beige

TSM_NorthHalf1stFloor-02.jpg

That queue root makes a lot of sence. I wonder how much they could make it wind on the second floor.
The south half of the plan thats missing must be the front of the building (well, the front we see walking in the park), assuming thats where the exit/gift shop is located.
Good work everyone.

RSoxNo1

I'm guessing no to the ride stops. What's more likely is that the screens move with the vehicles kind of like Horizons.

jasondiff

It looks like the Potato Head animatronic might be the box just to the left of the queue merge point. There, both standby and fastpass queues could see it. Where the CM would be I don't know, the brown box in jcowens's pic could be it.

Rob562

It looks like the Potato Head animatronic might be the box just to the left of the queue merge point. There, both standby and fastpass queues could see it. Where the CM would be I don't know, the brown box in jcowens's pic could be it.

From what I've read online, the Mr. Potatohead AA will be outside the front entrance to the attraction, not inside.

-Rob

jcowens2000

True! If you reference the concept art for TSM, there's an illustration of Potato Head in a corner with people peeking in from what appears to be 2 viewpoints. That would be standby guest and fastpass guest peeking in from their respective queues.

Today a Jim Hill article has come out regarding TSM trials in Glendale. With all this discussion on the TSM layout and blueprints, I thought I would link it here:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2007/03/19/monday-mousewatch-toy-story-mania.aspx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom