Toy Story Mania Construction (Photos)

socalkdg

Plans may have changed, but I was under the impression the facade of the building would be modeled after Pixar's real studios in CA.
Exactly. I've read they will tweak the plot to make it seem that you are entering the real pixar studio. Once inside you see that the toys are running the place with each toy having its own game. Obviously not as perfect as Midway Mania at DCA, but still a decent fit, plus WDW gets it first.

ToTBellHop

Exactly. I've read they will tweak the plot to make it seem that you are entering the real pixar studio. Once inside you see that the toys are running the place with each toy having its own game. Obviously not as perfect as Midway Mania at DCA, but still a decent fit, plus WDW gets it first.
That's a plus? DCA is getting a better ride...AND a better facade AND a story that actually makes sense. DCA wins on this one.

ToTBellHop

What is going to be the difference between the ride at DCA and the ride at MGM?
John Lasseter will be the difference. Midway Mania is being specially made for DCA and he will make sure it gets plussed there. It's being forced into MGM in a pre-existing building as a way to save money without coming up with an original idea. Unfortunately, there is no John Lasseter for WDW so there are presently no big ideas in production like their $100,000,000 Submarine Lagoon...

-SIR-

I doubt that DCA is getting a better version ... they are basically tearing down the whole millionaire building to build a new building.... its not like its the exact same building and they are smashing sub-par theming/technology into it... to be honest I wasnt crazy about this idea at first either....but if there really are plans to theme it with the studios... I can most certainly live with it. I like the idea of toys taking over the pixar studios... sounds cute if not strangely familiar to a disturbing Movie ive seen with Robin Williams in it... appropriatly called Toys I do believe... anyone remember that movie?

sorry to drift :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope - they are using the ex-soundstage building. It will only have an extended front entrance. DCA is getting a newbuild.

I`ve seen "Toys!"

ToTBellHop

Actually, yes...DCA is getting a better ride. Do you doubt John Lasseter's efforts in California? Check out what's been going on at the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage some time.

Tearing down the whole Millionaire building? What construction site are you looking at? I see a new facade pushed out several yards that Disney will apparently try to convince us looks like Pixar Animation Studios. Anyone who doesn't think WDW is now getting the short end of the stick wasn't paying much attention during all the recent press events...

I would not call the theming "sub-par." It's Disney. Most things at Disney have good theming (even Stitch's Great Escape, I think, is well-themed). Many WDW projects recently have nose-dived on the story, and this is another example of a ride that doesn't really fit and is just being forced in. I value Disney throwing a little money at MGM and the ride will likely be fun, but it will add to DCA while it more detracts from the already diffuse theme of MGM...

-SIR-

All im saying is im sure these two rides will be extremely similar... look at most of the newer clones... Soarin'...Tower of terror.... they are all almost the same attractions at both parks... I doubt we will get the "short end of the stick" ... Does the gutted millionaire building have the same space as the one going into DCA? If it has the same amount of room im sure it will be similar... Im by no means saying this is the best thing to happen to MGM .... just that maybe we will be pleasantly suprised by a good ride experience comparable to DCA's version and tied in well with the studios theming so it will plus the studios experience ... I can at least dream can't I?

ToTBellHop

All im saying is im sure these two rides will be extremely similar... look at most of the newer clones... Soarin'...Tower of terror.... they are all almost the same attractions at both parks... I doubt we will get the "short end of the stick" ... Does the gutted millionaire building have the same space as the one going into DCA? If it has the same amount of room im sure it will be similar... Im by no means saying this is the best thing to happen to MGM .... just that maybe we will be pleasantly suprised by a good ride experience comparable to DCA's version and tied in well with the studios theming so it will plus the studios experience ... I can at least dream can't I?
Are you seriously calling the Towers of Terror "almost the same"? Have you ridden any two of the three...or even seen a video of any two of the three? The similarities generally end at "really tall building with elevator that drops." Someone definitely got the short end of the stick with their Tower of Terror...and that's the one that's getting cloned...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. WDWs ToTs ride system is unique. The Paris version (cloned in Anaheim and Tokyo before Paris... I know... go figure...) basically is 3 totally separate shafts, each with a big hydraulic arm to push and pull the cars out of load and unload. Not an AGV in sight. Kind of ToT-lite. Compared to the genius of the 1994 original there`s no comparisson. There again, this was the era of the AGV, the EMV and the last of the true every-few-years E Ticket.

CTXRover

John Lasseter will be the difference. Midway Mania is being specially made for DCA and he will make sure it gets plussed there. It's being forced into MGM in a pre-existing building as a way to save money without coming up with an original idea. Unfortunately, there is no John Lasseter for WDW so there are presently no big ideas in production like their $100,000,000 Submarine Lagoon...

Isn't John Lasseter "principal creative advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering"? That would include all of Imagineering, not just Disneyland, right?. While I've heard that since he grew up working at DL he has a closer personal connection and admiration for DL over WDW, his job is to advise that each new attraction at all the Disney parks (at least domestically) meet whatever standards he sees fit. Personally, as we see what influence he does have over the next few years, if his influence is only directed at DL, then he is not fulfilling nor meeting the obligations and responsibilities of his job imo. He is NOT solely DL's advisor. I personally have more faith in the man than that and continue to remain hopeful that whatever he sees needing "plussed" on the Mania ride at DCA gets translated over to MGM. The obvious difference being the facades and any slight alteration in the way the rides are introduced as you enter (studio vs a midway).

Using the subs vs The Seas as proof that Lasseter cares more about what DL is getting is stretching the facts a bit imo. He may have had some last minute changes for certain aspects, but the ride as a whole was developed well before he had any position at WDI, the same is true for The Seas. The subs have always been and need to be an E-ticket level ride. The omnimover at The Seas took a simple B or C ticket ride and made it into what is arguably a solid D ticket ride. The pavilion continues to get new touches and when you take the pavilion experience as a whole, I think it will likely surpass what the subs offer (although I may retract that after I see what they've actually done with the subs). The two are incredibly different takes on the whole "experience Nemo" ride-through and shouldn't be seen as "clones".

Midway Mania is the first main attraction that Lasseter was around for before it was announced or officially green-lite (I think). This will be the first attraction imo that will provide any evidence of Lasseter's influence at DL and/or WDW.

dxwwf3

The omnimover at The Seas took a simple B or C ticket ride and made it into what is arguably a solid D ticket ride.

I wouldn't go that far. I would say it's still a simple B or C attraction, but it was done well for what it is. I think the ride is just a cut above a Fantasyland dark ride and nothing more. Of course, the angular fish wasn't working when I got to ride it either.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wouldn't go that far. I would say it's still a simple B or C attraction, but it was done well for what it is. I think the ride is just a cut above a Fantasyland dark ride and nothing more. Of course, the angular fish wasn't working when I got to ride it either.

Just a reminder of what tickets use to mean...

These are Disneyland tickets, but it still gives you an idea of what was what !

"B" tickets

• Main Street Cinema (Main Street)
  • Swiss Family Treehouse (Adventureland)
  • Motor Boat Cruise (Fantasyland)
  • Casey Junior Circus Train (Fantasyland)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Fantasyland)

"C" tickets

• Peter Pan Flight (Fantasyland)
  • Dumbo Flying Elephants (Fantasyland)
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Fantasyland)
  • Snow White's Adventures (Fantasyland)
  • Fantasyland Theater (Fantasyland)
  • Mad Tea Party (Fantasyland)
  • Mike Fink Keel Boats (Frontierland)
  • Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (Main Street)
  • Autopias (Fantasyland, Tomorrowland)
  • Shooting Galleries (Frontierland, Adventureland)

"D" tickets

• Rocket Jets (Tomorrowland)
  • PeopleMover (Tomorrowland)
  • Flight to the Moon (Tomorrowland)
  • Storybookland Canal Boats (Fantasyland)
  • Skyway (Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland)
  • Tom Sawyer Island Rafts (Frontierland)
  • Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Bear Country)
  • Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad (Main Street, New Orleans Square and Tomorrowland)
  • Columbia Sailing Ship (Frontierland)
  • Mark Twain Steamboat (Frontierland)

ToTBellHop

While I'm sure John Lasseter wouldn't be like, "get that garbage out of my face" if someone snuck up on him with blueprints for a new WDW attraction, it's not as though he goes looking for things to change at WDW as he does at DL. He's apparently been going all over DCA picking up on things that need to change (we'll see if they do). I have not heard of similar visits to MGM. Mr. Lasseter's ideas are very expensive, and if he is going to have to argue with anyone to get changes, it will be over Disneyland which he feels much more connected with. We could perhaps expect less of this once (not if) Rasulo gets fired. Lasseter likes investing new technologies in rides...Iger likes investing new technologies in the parks, so maybe if we get Rasulo and his money-wasting garbage out of the way, things would clear up...and we could lose Meg Crofton (Meg Crofton who???). At least Al Weiss was somewhat gutsy when he started out...does Meg Crofton even know there are theme parks at Disney World? She probably couldn't find the Haunted Mansion without a map...

-SIR-

That is downright RUDE... Meg Crofton is a fantastic castmember who has worked in the forefront of WDW for years.. She is an extremely Charming cast member who is very knowlogeable about the resort since she has lived in central florida for years and has worked in human resources, serving castmembers in various leadership positions. There is no doubt in my mind that she is very focused on the guest experience and making sure that castmember are given the tools and instruction to do the same. I like Meg she's very personable, sweet, and dare I say Disney.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just a reminder of what tickets use to mean...

These are Disneyland tickets, but it still gives you an idea of what was what!
Here`s the MK run down, though obviously how a ride was rated then and now has changed a bit!

WDW Railroad C
Main St Cinema A
Main St, U.S.A. transportation: Horse Cars, Jitney, Omnibus & Fire Engine A
Jungle Cruise E
Pirates of the Caribbean E
Tropical Serenade D
Swiss Family Treehouse B
Country Bear Jamboree E
Tom Sayer Island D
Frontierland Shootin' Gallery 25c or B
Hall of Presidents E
The Haunted Mansion E
Liberty Square Riverboats D
Mike Fink Keelboats B
(no 1979 listing for canoes)
it's a small world E
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea E
The Mickey Mouse Review D
Skyway D
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride C
Peter Pans Flight C
Snow Whites Scary Adventures C
Dumbo the Flying Elephant B
Mad Tea Party B
Cinderella's Golden Carrousel A
Space Mountain E
Mission to Mars D
Star Jets D
WEDway Peoplemover D (originally an E ticket)
Grand Prix Raceway C

Lee

Adventurer
I like Meg she's very personable, sweet, and dare I say Disney.

Can't argue with that. Met her once, very briefly, and she seemed very nice.
However, she and Ed Grier suffer from some sort of park-itis. They spend no time in the parks, actually interacting with average guests, observing operations in average situations.
Which leads me to invoke the name of "Cast Member Matt" Ouimet. A resort president who spent much time (often his own) in the parks, speaking to guests, riding rides, and just watching. This led to improved maintenance, operations enhancements, and better CM morale (the ones that last more than six months).
THAT is who we need overseeing parks. Not MBAs who spend all their time behind desks at Team Disney.
But...that would also require going back to a more autonomous structure for the parks, rather than this "global" nonsense.:rolleyes:

New2WDW

Wow this thread has gotten to deep for me, so I just want to drop a "thank you for the picture update!" And, I can not wait to experience the ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom