Toy Story Mania 3 week refurb in August?

djkidkaz

Original Poster
StichKingdom is reporting that TSM is possibly going down for refurb from August 15th to September 5th. Anyone else confirm?

Toy Story 3 overlay or basic maintenance?

Anyone know if theres a refurb for DCA version of the ride? If so, thats a pretty sure sign that its to update both rides with something ( TS3 games? )

domndebs

I really hope this is not true:eek: We're really looking forward to our first ride, we arrive 18th Aug!! Our DD loves Toy Story, she won't be happy if this is true:cry:

Tink313

Im praying this is not ture. We are going on Aug 24-Sept 4. My 3 year old is crazy for this ride and talks about it everyday. It will not be a good trip if he doesnt get to do it again. :dazzle:

Studios Fan

It makes sense as far as the time of year they are rehabbing it. It would make more sense to have new effects in time for the movie though.

DisneyLeo18

I was under the impression end of august is more of a downtime at WDW, so doesn't seem like bad timing.

Although 2 months after TS3 release is a little odd.

ryno1982

I've heard this too. It's because they are adding exit gates. Apparently there's a problem with guests getting close to the vehicles after exiting the ride.

devoy1701

Maybe it's for a Christmas themed overlay?:xmas:

I don't think so...I think this would be way too early for a Christmas overlay considering most of the overlay would consist of adding themed elements to the computer program of the attraction, that could be done mostly without down time.

the-reason14

Why would it close for 3 weeks for any overlay when they claimed it would only take a few days top to change it over? From what I heard, new games could be added overnight.

nepalostparks

Why would it close for 3 weeks for any overlay when they claimed it would only take a few days top to change it over? From what I heard, new games could be added overnight.

Three weeks for just an overlay seems excessive, yes, but I think while it might be possible for the games to be changed overnight, Disney would want at least a day or two to run testing and tweak anything necessary.

If the rumor is true, the start date of August 15th coincides with the first day of the late summer/fall value season. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

There has been some talk about the exit gates being added for awhile now. It could be a case of multiple things being done - gates, overlay and quick clean up/refurb. Three weeks might also be conservative, it could always open back up earlier if everything goes well.

In any event, it will be interesting to see if this rumor turns out to be true.

fyn

1) I'm not convinced this is just an overlay. The changes to include TS3 probably won't be huge, but I doubt they'd be short lived.

2) As to the timing, this seems very much like a compromise. As others have pointed out, the 15th is the first day of the Value season, and probably the earliest they could close one of DHS's star attractions. Because this is so far after the opening of the movie, I don't think the movie tie-ins will be that large.

3) 3 Weeks is a bit long for software-only changes, but I don't really know much about their dev/test environment. It wouldn't surprise me if they needed to load the games and do a bunch of calibration testing. Depending on how well (or poorly) the test environment recreates the ride environment, they may actually need to iterate a few times on the software if unexpected bugs pop up. That could easily take a week or two, which is how long I actually think this will take. Of course, they could also be making non-software show element changes, in which case I have no idea. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom