Toy Story Land

aw14

We were at TSL end of July early August and loved it. It was scorching hot, my DW verbally destroyed a woman at Woodys lunchbox over a table (little cover and not a lot of seats) and the land should have been covered better overall imo. That said, it was very fun. We enjoyed alien more than we thought we would.

We would go back in a second, but maybe not hear of the day in August.

Bronson55

Just returned from a 14 day trip and we found the Toy Story area unbearably hot. We asked a cast member where we could wait out of the blazing sun and were directed to a store which we never found. What we saw were huge crowds blocking the restrooms similar to what happens during a down pour. The funniest were those free standing kiosks . Picture that small cart with it's awning surrounded by two scooters ,a dozen people plus the cast member all crowded under that patch of shade. If anyone were trying to buy something they were out of luck. The simple remedy is not costly so I imagine this problem will be taken care of quickly....maybe.

Damon7777

when it’s busy.

It will always be busy.

I think it's safe to say half of the millennial and X generation will fill the queue looking to pilot a millennial falcon and X wing.

In essence the queue will be perpetually full, no down time ever........
Not at opening and not in 25 years.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

You pretty much answered your own question. Primarily outdoor none attraction issues are being addressed. It’s too early to say what will happen but one would hope for complete queue covering with forced air at the very least. One would also hope for enclosed eating space for the serving windows; only then can it be considered a QSR.
Thanks. And I’m guessing that will be more costly to do a retrofit than just building it that way originally?

Amazing this was approved as is. I didn’t even mention the seating issues for food, but yeah...that too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It will always be busy.

I think it's safe to say half of the millennial and X generation will fill the queue looking pilot a millennial falcon and X wing.

In essence the queue will be perpetually full, no down time ever........
Not at opening and not in 25 years.
Let me rephrase it. Overflow queue will be outside. Alcatraz should be able to (mostly) offer shaded or interior queuing.

Club Cooloholic

We were at TSL end of July early August and loved it. It was scorching hot, my DW verbally destroyed a woman at Woodys lunchbox over a table (little cover and not a lot of seats) and the land should have been covered better overall imo. That said, it was very fun. We enjoyed alien more than we thought we would.

We would go back in a second, but maybe not hear of the day in August.
How did that argument go, I need advice should I encounter a similar situation with someone like her...or your husband!

Cmdr_Crimson

Shame they couldn't add these since it just closed in DCA.....
FunFindBugsLand082815-1.jpg

geekza

All of the recent queues are interesting. Things to press, stuff to do, interesting things to look at. TSL is the antithesis of all that. The queues are nothing more than switchbacks with nothing. Anything that could be pushed doesn't do anything. Watch people in line. They all expect the buttons to do something while standing there sweating.

Peter pan has an amazing queue. I actually enjoy spending 20 minutes in there. Not 70 mind you, but an early morning 20.
They've removed at least part of the interactive queue at 7DMT because it slowed down the line. With the new Play Disney app, I wonder if we're going to see a movement towards pretty queues with no built-in interaction? It's much cheaper to update a game on an app than it is for fabrication and upkeep of the interactive queue elements. I predict that's the plan. Anything that saves money and still distracts guests during long waits serves Disney's purpose.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was able to make my first visit to Toy Story Land last week. While the design is cute, it is also quite cluttered and actually underwhelming. I expected a lot more. Also, What is the trend with Disney creating new lands that only have two rides?
Pandora (River journey and Flights of Passage)
Toy Story (Alien Spinning Saucers and Slinky Dog Dash)
Star Wars Land (Smuggler's Run and Battle Escape)

Either the imagineers are limited in their ideas, or Disney corporate is limiting what they are letting them do with these new lands.
There seem to be a lot of missed opportunities.

Hogsmeade only had 1 new ride and two very lightly rethemed existing rides.
Diagon Alley only had 2 new rides.
Cars Land had 3 rides, one of which had to be quickly replaced
Storybook Circus had 1 new ride and 2 pre-existing
New Fantasyland had 2 new rides
There's only three rides in Adventureland after 50 years.
Frontierland only has 3 rides including the train passing through
Liberty Square only has 2 rides
Dinoland has only 3 rides
Asia has only 2 rides
Africa has only 1 ride
Sunset Blvd has only 2 rides

Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Future World are the exceptions to the rule with four or more rides per land.

SteamboatJoe

I was able to make my first visit to Toy Story Land last week. While the design is cute, it is also quite cluttered and actually underwhelming. I expected a lot more. Also, What is the trend with Disney creating new lands that only have two rides?

Either the imagineers are limited in their ideas, or Disney corporate is limiting what they are letting them do with these new lands.
My guess is the latter.

NickMaio

Unbelievable that there is no shade in Toy Story Land. Only covered areas are the restrooms. We spent from 4th September to 13th September at Disney and this part of the park was the worst with heat indexes over 100 degrees. We live in Florida so we were not surprised at the temperature at this time of year. The lack of shade though DID surprise us. The tiny umbrella shades are totally inadequate. What went wrong here Disney? Surely there could have been an indoor seating area for Woody's Lunch Box or even a covered shop as opposed to souvenir carts. Very poorly planned.
$$$$$$$$$$$ - Went wrong / WDW cheaped out - - - - - at the expense of guest satisfaction and in some cases safety.
Don't forget to let WDW know about your disapproval.

They will not add shade if people don't let them know.

NickMaio

Un-Disney??? You have got to be kidding me. Early eighty's we stood our in the sun for hours to ride 20K, Peter pan, Mr. Toad had outside queue's as well as Dumbo, Teacups, Carousel and most of speedway was outside. Many of the shows were outside in the open. And places like Jungle cruise had limited shelter and that was packed into a small open sided building with hundreds of 98.6 degree people crammed together with random ceiling fans blowing hot air down on you. This is nothing new nor was it anything other then expected, but, today's "population cannot handle it. Even HM had an outdoor queue with random fans covered eventually, but, still outside. It might be my memory but the only place that I can remember that had the majority of the queue inside in AC was Pirates and HoP. It is helpful to have the cover, but, external AC in queues or fully covered queue lines were never a reality.
Come on now - - - - A high majority of WDW cues are, have been always inside and air conditioned. Not to mention shade from trees........
What did Andy not have any trees in his backyard?

Don't try to throw out the - - back in my day stuff. - - Your list of unshaded ride que's is in the single digits. Prob 5% of the total number of WDW attractions. - - - - This whole LAND is a sweatshop.

We refused to take out little guy there last summer because of this.

NickMaio

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 - -- Thats why - - -

Goofyernmost

Come on now - - - - A high majority of WDW cues are, have been always inside and air conditioned. Not to mention shade from trees........
What did Andy not have any trees in his backyard?

Don't try to throw out the - - back in my day stuff. - - Your list of unshaded ride que's is in the single digits. Prob 5% of the total number of WDW attractions. - - - - This whole LAND is a sweatshop.

We refused to take out little guy there last summer because of this.
Hey, believe what you want. I actually stood in those queue's and I stood in some in Disneyland during their 50th, in 2005, that were right out in the sun. On that one they had steel pipe stanchions dividing the queue that was so hot that if you forgot and touched it you hand would jerk right back in defense. It all depended on the time of day and the crowd level. The only one that I remember as not ever being out in the open at some point was Pirates at WDW. All the rest had some degree of outside, AC less exposure. The Haunted mansion started out without any cover until about 30 feet before you entered. That WHOLE TOY STORY LAND as you put it is two rides out of three. That does tend to tilt the percentage into a much higher percentage, but, it says nothing.

Let me be more specific. Back in the day that you seem to be putting down as irrelevant, consisted of Main Street (out in the open) Cindy's Castle (completely in the open. In Adventure land... The Jungle Cruise (that was either out in the open or in the enclosure tightly woven with hundreds of people switching back and forth for ages) PoTC (mostly inside but I don't recall it being terribly cold in there with all those people crammed in those hallways) Tiki Room (if crowded, had outside queue. Some part covered but hotter then anything. AC once inside. BTMR Queue outside. some covered some not. Country Bears.. (AC once you got inside, but, many a time you were standing out in the open through two or more showings. When Splash Mtn opened. Some of the queue was outside in the open, some in but I don't remember any AC at all in that one. If there was it was in the inner parts of the ride. HoP (was, when I saw it, queue inside as well as the theater. The Gondola's (outside before, during and after) The Carousel, Dumbo, Speedway and Tea Cups.. Out in the open queue and no AC anywhere. Small World.. (Inside queue, I don't remember AC in the queue. Peter Pan might have been AC'd inside and a lot of it was covered, but, it was covered outside, Fans no AC. I don't remember Snow White or Toad, but, again outside queue/fans. Philhamagic was mostly the same then as now. Part inside and part out. Even Space Mountain had most of it's queue out in the open as I remember it.

Where Buzz is now is mostly outside queue when busy and a small tight queue when inside before boarding. Mission to Mars, (Stitch), The TimeKeeper, were in AC once you got inside and part of both were covered just before the show and outside with a cover (more building design then lets keep the guests comfy situation. You can see where the queue for the People-mover is because it is the same space now as then. No real cover until you got to the ramp and almost to boarding. We already talked about 20K. However, the stores where they openly tried to pry more money out of you were all AC'd to Arctic Temperatures. I think that is just a little more then a "small" percentage. I believe that they have something in the works to deal with that problem in STL, but, what was used in the beginning was slight shelter and fans... Lots and lots of fans. Epcot was more shaded and internal queues.

Maybe the back in the day people were less whiny. Who knows!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom