Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There’s certainly room for a ride. I imagine a rethemed RnRC would be the area’s E-ticket.
Cool. What kind of theme are they looking at? I assume IP based, maybe something Pixar. They have an incredicoaster at DCA. Totally different ride but it would be pretty easy to craft up a backstory based on incredibles for RnRC. Would the new ride be something substantial like a dark ride or just a flat ride?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How about instead of worrying about retheming RNRC, we focus on actually adding more stuff to the park?

How about 'no' says anyone running a business. Rides get updated, changed, overlaid, or completely replaced for a number of reasons. Otherwise, we'd still have Superstar Limo and The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Whether IP synergy is a good enough reason to change a particular attraction is debatable. But the idea of not touching anything and just adding more and more can be financial suicide as each attraction has a continued cost and a theme park business needs to decide if it's worth it to shoulder that cost. Especially if it's promoting not just a non-IP (like Figment) but some other IP your brand has nothing to do with (like Aerosmith).

The park is no longer about the business of Hollywood and getting behind the scenes (a limo ride to a gig), but enjoying the content of what Hollywood produces. In the end, all attractions will bend to that theme. RnRC will be rethemed at some point, especially if WDW adds something next to it and makes it part of a new Land.

Casper Gutman

How about 'no' says anyone running a business. Rides get updated, changed, overlaid, or completely replaced for a number of reasons. Otherwise, we'd still have Superstar Limo and The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Whether IP synergy is a good enough reason to change a particular attraction is debatable. But the idea of not touching anything and just adding more and more can be financial suicide as each attraction has a continued cost and a theme park business needs to decide if it's worth it to shoulder that cost. Especially if it's promoting not just a non-IP (like Figment) but some other IP your brand has nothing to do with (like Aerosmith).

The park is no longer about the business of Hollywood and getting behind the scenes (a limo ride to a gig), but enjoying the content of what Hollywood produces. In the end, all attractions will bend to that theme. RnRC will be rethemed at some point, especially if WDW adds something next to it and makes it part of a new Land.
Figment ABSOLUTELY is an IP. You’re making the same mistake Disney makes, assuming IPs can only originate (or at least be driven by) films. This is a particularly egregious coming from a company that had massive success with the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. What’s more, Figment is an IP that has already crossed media, appearing on a lot of merchandise and in a line of comics.

And the essential point, of course, is that even when MMRR and RotR finally open, MGM will remain a woefully under built park that needs at least one more major land, updated shows, and several more attractions, both major and minor, to handle crowds and justify ticket prices. RnR can be updated at some point, but it’s nowhere near the top of the list of what Disney needs to do for the Studios.

Darth Snips

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. How about a new ride and a rethemed coaster? That’s happening in Paris...we can’t get the friendly, neighborhood web-slinger but maybe they can go a different direction?
Is this, plus your new avatar, hinting at new Marvel content for WDW? Or have I gone full conspiracy theorist?

Incomudro

That would require management that knows what works and what doesn’t. RNRC works. It should be last on the list of things at DHS that need to be “fixed”.

This much is true.
The ride's still popular and Aerosmith have a residency in Vegas.
I know RNRC's time for a reskin will come, but I don't believe it should be high on the priority list at this time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This much is true.
The ride's still popular and Aerosmith have a residency in Vegas.
I know RNRC's time for a reskin will come, but I don't believe it should be high on the priority list at this time.
I wouldn’t say the ride needs to be re-themed just to retheme it, but if it’s part of a new land that makes a lot more sense. They could do something similar to Toy Story Land where the existing TSMM anchors the land with 2 additional Toy Story rides added. Obviously it won’t be Toy Story, but if they did something similar with another IP (Incredibles seems like a perfect fit for a coaster) then they could build out a small land using a rethemed RnRC as the anchor. I know people would rather see all new stuff in addition to keeping RnRC as is but there isn’t a ton of space back there if some of the larger buildings and parking structure are basically untouchable. There’s plenty of space for another larger themed land over by Indy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom