Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

andysol

Does the fact that the track layout would have been sunk into a dirt dugout all the way around really make that much difference to people?

The cutting of the dug in part isn't really a major issue- it would have been nice, sure, but it wouldn't have made the land. And the "road" definitely needed cut as that made no sense.
The biggest factor, by far, was removing the M&G area and dedicated store. An indoor QS dining area with a "Sonny Eclipse" animatronic from cosmic rays would've made a world of difference as well for the overall feel of the land. Far more than the "dug in" area of the coaster would have.

Essentially, its the difference of a complete land, or a land with 3 rides and then you leave because there is nothing else to really do or see.

Indy_UK

I totally get get what your saying. I guess I'm trying to be greateful for what we got compared to the other Toy Story lands around the world. I think it looks nice and very different 3 rides are enough.

I don't think the cutbacks will make sense until after the 50th when I think it will be like a storybook circus that didn't need an indoor quick service or anything else added

Brian

Just saw the final seating area for Woody's Lunchbox, and what a complete failure it is. Movable tables and chairs with no umbrellas? Are you kidding me Disney??? It was bad enough to not have an interior quick service restaurant with AC so people could find some relief from the heat...the land is already completely open air outside of TSM. However, now we are outside with no shade in the seating area at all. That is SHAMEFUL cost cutting. Look back at the concept art and the miniature model. The tables were the stationary type with integrated benches and umbrellas:
View attachment 292707

What we see here are loose lightweight tables not anchored to the ground that will definitely not support an umbrella (photo from Inside the Magic). Welcome to hell:
https://i2.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Screen-Shot-2018-06-27-at-3.12.10-PM.jpg?ssl=1

Who could possibly enjoy sitting outside in direct sunlight outside of December - March? How are people supposed to do to sit down and enjoy their lunch? Are there any other primary quick service seating area anywhere in WDW with no umbrellas or shade? I can't think of any.

This right here is why the previews were Cast Members only.

Donaldfan1934

The cutting of the dug in part isn't really a major issue- it would have been nice, sure, but it wouldn't have made the land. And the "road" definitely needed cut as that made no sense.
The biggest factor, by far, was removing the M&G area and dedicated store. An indoor QS dining area with a "Sonny Eclipse" animatronic from cosmic rays would've made a world of difference as well for the overall feel of the land. Far more than the "dug in" area of the coaster would have.

Essentially, its the difference of a complete land, or a land with 3 rides and then you leave because there is nothing else to really do or see.
If you look closely at the concept, you can see that it was more than just a dug in area. There was supposed to a noticeably longer track and a lot more props along the way. So, the ride would not only look more impressive, but also be able to handle more people. It's really a shame that Disney decided to put the short term cost of building the land over the park's long term capacity needs. You have great points about the major budget cuts made across the rest of the land, but at least the enterance area could theoretically be reworked down the road to better match their original visions. Slinky Dog Dash; on the other hand, would need to be almost completely rebuilt, so it'll most likely be stuck the way it is for all eternity.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

I guess at least from Disneys perspective, 99% of the people who will visit this land will never have seen the concept art and have no clue there were cutbacks
They're tourist, what do they know?
IMG_2882.JPG

Pete C

If you look closely at the concept, you can see that it was more than just a dug in area. There was supposed to a noticeably longer track and a lot more props along the way. So, the ride would not only look more impressive, but also be able to handle more people. It's really a shame that Disney decided to put the short term cost of building the land over the park's long term capacity needs. You have great points about the major budget cuts made across the rest of the land, but at least the enterance area could theoretically be reworked down the road to better match their original visions. Slinky Dog Dash; on the other hand, would need to be almost completely rebuilt, so it'll most likely be stuck the way it is for all eternity.

It's exactly the same layout except for the part right after the first launch where it goes over the track and dives back down under the bridge that got cut. Now it is more of a cut back element. No major difference in length that I can see.

andysol

----------
Slinky Dog Dash timings breaks down like this:

• 48 seconds from station dispatch to brakes at the second launch
  • 50 seconds from the second launch brakes to the finale Wheezy animatronic brakes
  • 19 seconds from arriving at the Wheezy brakes to unload station
Which gives a total ride-time for Slinky Dog Dash of around 117 seconds, or just short of 2 minutes.
----------

That's not too bad at all. Twice as much coaster as 7DMT.

Timothy_Q

It's exactly the same layout except for the part right after the first launch where it goes over the track and dives back down under the bridge that got cut. Now it is more of a cut back element. No major difference in length that I can see.
Yeah there doesn't seem to be much difference in track layout.

What bothers me is all the extra theming elements scattered throughout the track that didn't make it to finished product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom