Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

djkidkaz

Genuinely intrigued as to why after so many lean years stateside there's suddenly rumours floating around here there and everywhere...what has changed? Shanghai finished? Chapek wanting to make his mark?

It's called Universal charging at their market. With Uni investing heavily like they are, even if the attractions suck and the water park isn't on par with BB or TL, the average guest doesn't know that until after they've given up a day or two at Disney to find out. All you see is these commercials for Harry Potter, Marvel, Transformers, Fast and Furious, etc. and it looks like a great place to go. Eventually you arrive and ride 7 screen based motion simulators and realize you don't have to go back, but at the end of the day, those trips still hurt Disney so they need something to combat with.

Goofyernmost

It's called Universal charging at their market. With Uni investing heavily like they are, even if the attractions suck and the water park isn't on par with BB or TL, the average guest doesn't know that until after they've given up a day or two at Disney to find out. All you see is these commercials for Harry Potter, Marvel, Transformers, Fast and Furious, etc. and it looks like a great place to go. Eventually you arrive and ride 7 screen based motion simulators and realize you don't have to go back, but at the end of the day, those trips still hurt Disney so they need something to combat with.
I honestly do not think that Universal bothers Disney all that much. The fact has been that they (Disney) has been investing heavily in foreign locations over the last 10 years. WDW being the flagship, money maker, was basically left alone while they invested elsewhere. Universal did have some influence in that they were installing new things, but, it hadn't seemed to hurt attendance at WDW, but, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that eventually it would. So, they are now funneling money, at last, to WDW.

wdwgreek

While Universal may be a factor it is not THE factor. I think it is people visiting every few years are starting to notice its more crowded, the attractions are all the same, and the cost is higher. To justify the ever increasing costs they need to make the parks not appear stagnant. Honestly WDW should be the flagship Disney resort. MK is not the best MK style park, Epcot is a skeleton of its former self, MGM is a park with an identity crisis, AK is the only park that is nearly unrivaled world wide. More money and investment is deserved at wdw, it should be the premier Disney resort, the flagship that all is measured and sadly it is not.

doctornick

I think it is people visiting every few years are starting to notice its more crowded, the attractions are all the same, and the cost is higher. To justify the ever increasing costs they need to make the parks not appear stagnant.

True. I think the stagnation is really what is impacting guests and motivating Disney to "do something". With so little having been added over the past decade while prices have skyrocketed, the core audience of repeat guests is likely taking a significant hit -- either less frequent trips, shorter ones or not coming at all -- and Disney realizes they need to entice those people back and create a "buzz". I'm cautiously optimistic that Pandora and Star Wars will reinvigorate the resort and hope that more stuff comes along at all the parks leading to the 50th.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rather than Uni hurting Dis, I think Dis saw the crowds for the Potter Lands and thought, "Hey, why aren't we doing that?!... We can make even more money!!"

It also maybe was a bit of an ego thing that Uni leapfrogged over Dis with the Potter Lands in Orlando.

And when you have the kind of IPs that Disney has: Toy Story, Star Wars, Marvel (outside of Orlando), they deserve a full 'Land' rather than a ride placed in a vaguely themed area of a park.

Granted, an argument can be made that Star Wars deserves its own park, let alone land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe this has been asked though I haven't found an answer as of yet.
Do we have any information on what will happen with Echo Lake, Sounds Dangerous, and Idol?

Sounds Dangerous is gone. It's now the Jedi short movie, and the Olaf and Mickey M&Gs. Idol is now the Frozen sing-along.

Echo Lake seems to be safe now, though there were earlier plans to put Star Wars or some other land there, but that seems to be off the table. Though, I contend it should be paved over so as to re-orient the central hub night time shows (which would require adding another facade between the Chinese Theater and Animation Courtyard that would be a better projection screen). But, that's just me, I guess. Don't know why people become so attached to a large pond.

wdwgreek

Sounds Dangerous is gone. It's now the Jedi short movie, and the Olaf and Mickey M&Gs. Idol is now the Frozen sing-along.

Echo Lake seems to be safe now, though there were earlier plans to put Star Wars or some other land there, but that seems to be off the table. Though, I contend it should be paved over so as to re-orient the central hub night time shows (which would require adding another facade between the Chinese Theater and Animation Courtyard that would be a better projection screen). But, that's just me, I guess. Don't know why people become so attached to a large pond.

Echo lake is incredibly charming very well themed. While it isn't a land that is exciting, or has a headline attraction. Its quaint, charming, and just very relaxing. IF the theme park experience is about taking you into another world, Echo lake tricks you into thinking you aren't in a theme park, but somewhere else. I really enjoy the subtle nods to movies of the 40's and other classic movies. If it goes away I'd be curious how they would work the transition from old Hollywood to whatever it would be, especially given its proximity to the hub.

AKL2003

I love the Echo Lake area. The water "features" of the Disney parks have always been some of my favorite spots. I would hate to see it cemented over but i do realize that by paving that area it gives TDO a bit more flexibility with regards to the hub and the ultimate direction they can take DHS. It will be interesting to see what happens....

wdwgreek

I love the Echo Lake area. The water "features" of the Disney parks have always been some of my favorite spots. I would hate to see it cemented over but i do realize that by paving that area it gives TDO a bit more flexibility with regards to the hub and the ultimate direction they can take DHS. It will be interesting to see what happens....
There was some Imagineering book I was reading where the author talked about the importance of water to add kinetic energy into a space but also it creates a soothing feeling amount guests around it.

matt9112

Harry potter is still more emersive than anything in disneyworld currently open to the public.....you can yell screenz all day but the fact is universal is cranking out the heat. Turning from a small resort into a much more comparable product. Doubled hotel rooms in the last few years....two more hotels for sure in pipeline after cabanna towers. A water park that thematicly challenges BB and TL (BB is a dinosaur btw) see universal isnt trying to beat disney at anything....there just stealing 2 or 3 days.

Personal rant (IOA port of entry is amazing at park opening) disney world is littered with tiny children like landmines with strollers everywhere. Its amazingly gross and disgusting....children have legs people!
I love WDW but both resorts have merrits and admittingly universal is putting more effort into fixing its flaws lately.

FigmentForver96

Harry potter is still more emersive than anything in disneyworld currently open to the public.....you can yell screenz all day but the fact is universal is cranking out the heat. Turning from a small resort into a much more comparable product. Doubled hotel rooms in the last few years....two more hotels for sure in pipeline after cabanna towers. A water park that thematicly challenges BB and TL (BB is a dinosaur btw) see universal isnt trying to beat disney at anything....there just stealing 2 or 3 days.

Personal rant (IOA port of entry is amazing at park opening) disney world is littered with tiny children like landmines with strollers everywhere. Its amazingly gross and disgusting....children have legs people!
I love WDW but both resorts have merrits and admittingly universal is putting more effort into fixing its flaws lately.
I'm not about to start this debate so I'll post this and be done. The park down the road is getting some serious ride fatigue and it is beginning to show badly. Fallon is proving it and Fast and Furious won't help. Harry Potter can only do so much for you and Volcano Bay is not going to knock the socks off any major water park. A water park built without any berm right by the interstate. It's themeing lays with the volcano at the center but those neon colored ones are something of an amateur move. If universal wants to play with the big dogs they have to be able to bring the quality in all they do. Hotel rooms aren't going to make you a successful business. The truth of the matter is, Disney is better lined up for the next few years to take the medal in Orlando. Pandora is looking more and more impressive daily with an environment that looks as immersive as the boy wizard and his world. Star Wars will be a true powerhouse and projects like Toy Story, Great Mickey Ride (rumored), Epcot overhaul and such only boost this. Im not a pixie duster and my posting record proves that but I won't be blind to what is happening either. I don't like all that Disney is doing but they are doing stuff and they are proving some variety. At least I know everything coming isn't a giant screen.

matt9112

I'm not about to start this debate so I'll post this and be done. The park down the road is getting some serious ride fatigue and it is beginning to show badly. Fallon is proving it and Fast and Furious won't help. Harry Potter can only do so much for you and Volcano Bay is not going to knock the socks off any major water park. A water park built without any berm right by the interstate. It's themeing lays with the volcano at the center but those neon colored ones are something of an amateur move. If universal wants to play with the big dogs they have to be able to bring the quality in all they do. Hotel rooms aren't going to make you a successful business. The truth of the matter is, Disney is better lined up for the next few years to take the medal in Orlando. Pandora is looking more and more impressive daily with an environment that looks as immersive as the boy wizard and his world. Star Wars will be a true powerhouse and projects like Toy Story, Great Mickey Ride (rumored), Epcot overhaul and such only boost this. Im not a pixie duster and my posting record proves that but I won't be blind to what is happening either. I don't like all that Disney is doing but they are doing stuff and they are proving some variety. At least I know everything coming isn't a giant screen.

Except the next E ticket to open....is literally a giant screen. However your opinion on hotel rooms i think is ill conceived. I firmly believe Disney with the DVC and hotel trend in general have realized the parks are only a small component. Its been years since the parks themselves were the core driving force. The willingness to destroy sightlines and theme at all 4 deluxe resorts proves DVC trumps any happinings in the parks or theme in general. That is not to say disney cant do things right its to say lately they havent. And hell im one of the people that dont mind frozen being in norway. I just mind that they didint build a new hogh capacity ride system that franchise deserves. Just two examples of poor choices.

Your opinion and points are valid as anyone else's however I don't see the same picture.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Ohh Lord....the Rock is already everywhere and now he is in my mind every time I Read those two little words. My kids love "You're Welcome" and my son is always singing it and making me play it in my car. They are BIG Moana fans.
I'm 49 years old. I can't help but sing "You're Welcome" every chance I get.

I do nice things for people just so they say "thank you". :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom