Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

twebber55

Yeah, Toy Story is the concept. The rest is different. Ooh, they both have a giant Buzz and this forum has a bunch of buzzkills.
agree
My question would be does the exact theme/concept lead to the same experience?
i get the sense that this land will give a different experience to other toy story themed lands
JMO of course

Kman101

Well, TSL thematically is never going to be up to par for some because it doesn't feature whatever they think it should and it doesn't have a mountain range. I like how judgement is made on a land that hasn't been stepped in yet. Yeah, compare it with the other two but I think we'll get the better experience. I bet anything minds change once they see the land. It's not some thrown together tiny land. It has to be quite bigger than the other Toy Story PLAYlands (just emphasizing that word because ours doesn't use it). Let people grumble and then be surprised. I remember a lot weren't excited about Pandora. And now ... ;) "Oooh look how well done that is" ... and the land isn't even done yet. I know it's two very different lands but still. Someone has to have something to complain about.

ToTBellHop

As in a full fledged boat ride? If so, that could be great. Not sure what Pixar film (if that is the theme) would lend itself to a boat ride. Or rather, what Pixar film that doesn't already have an attraction in Orlando.
Just about anything can use a boat as a ride system if you want.

flyerjab

agree
My question would be does the exact theme/concept lead to the same experience?
i get the sense that this land will give a different experience to other toy story themed lands
JMO of course

I think that it is amusing that people keep comparing this to the other Toy Story Playlands at the Paris and Hong Kong parks. This land is clearly not intended to be like those in any way. Recall the announcement at the D23 Expo that was made by Kathy Mangum. In her introduction to this new land she made it clear that they were shooting for Cars Land level immersion and theming throughout this entire expansion.

I watch the YouTube videos of the Playlands and think to myself that they aren't even close to approaching that level of theming or continuity in storyline. There is obvious intent that the Imagineers are going to recreate that experience, but in Andy's backyard. I have posted several times about this in the past but I continue to emphasize the stark differences in the ride lineups alone: parachute drop, slinky spinner and RC racer (akin to a pirate ship ride at an amusement park) vs. an expanded TSMM (serves as a large people eater), an alien double spinner based off of the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree ride (very popular ride BTW) and a slinky dog family coaster that will have interactive elements. There is no comparison here. None - except for the fact that Toy Story is the theme. Now if that particular Pixar franchise is something that you are tired of, or would have really preferred The Incredibles, etc., well that is definitely your prerogative. But I will never understand the comparisons beyond the franchise. They have clearly upped their game regarding the rides, and I can't wait to see what else is offered here because there always are the 'softer' experiences that aren't always initially talked about.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What DHS needs most are some people eaters

It's a shame they haven't done anything of great significance to TGMR since it opened. That ride should be a massive people eater (and it once was when the park was newer) and still has the capacity to be a massive people eater, but it just seems like no one rides it anymore. I'd argue that if they were to do an overhaul, they would need to get away from the "Great Movie" moniker and stick to all Disney property movies, but I think you could create a really quality attraction using today's technology (projection mapping, digital projections, current animitronics) and finding a good theme to use throughout (maybe stick with classic Disney animated movies, or just Pixar films). Alternatively, if they could just revise some of the current scenes with properties Disney owns, that could help to (I know they would need to get things worked out with Universal, but having an "Avengers" section on TGMR with a life size, fully animitronic Hulk would be pretty cool!)

Chris82

I think that it is amusing that people keep comparing this to the other Toy Story Playlands at the Paris and Hong Kong parks. This land is clearly not intended to be like those in any way. Recall the announcement at the D23 Expo that was made by Kathy Mangum. In her introduction to this new land she made it clear that they were shooting for Cars Land level immersion and theming throughout this entire expansion.

I watch the YouTube videos of the Playlands and think to myself that they aren't even close to approaching that level of theming or continuity in storyline. There is obvious intent that the Imagineers are going to recreate that experience, but in Andy's backyard. I have posted several times about this in the past but I continue to emphasize the stark differences in the ride lineups alone: parachute drop, slinky spinner and RC racer (akin to a pirate ship ride at an amusement park) vs. an expanded TSMM (serves as a large people eater), an alien double spinner based off of the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree ride (very popular ride BTW) and a slinky dog family coaster that will have interactive elements. There is no comparison here. None - except for the fact that Toy Story is the theme. Now if that particular Pixar franchise is something that you are tired of, or would have really preferred The Incredibles, etc., well that is definitely your prerogative. But I will never understand the comparisons beyond the franchise. They have clearly upped their game regarding the rides, and I can't wait to see what else is offered here because there always are the 'softer' experiences that aren't always initially talked about.

I definitely agree that DHS's Toy Story Land is likely to be much higher quality than the various Playlands based on ride descriptions and concept art alone, but I don't think people's negative reaction is really about the Toy Story franchise itself or the rides, at least, if my own reaction is any indication. I think the coaster is likely to be good fun, and I doubt the final result will be as tacky looking as the Paris version. But I can't really get excited about Toy Story Land myself because the "Andy's backyard" theme feels so likely to be weak.

I'm sure everybody's mileage varies, but one of the things I love most about visiting Disney parks is the feeling of being enveloped in another world. It's why I love areas like New Orleans Square and the Morocco and Mexico pavilions so much - the theming is more all-encompassing and therefore more convincing. Hollywood Studios has some of this already on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, and Star Wars Land looks likely to be strong in that department as well. Will Toy Story Land take me to a magical place where I'm the size of a toy? Or will it merely feel like I stepped into a theme park that's been decorated with characters and concepts from a popular franchise (that I happen to enjoy a lot, for the record)? If I really got to feel like I'm the size of a toy in a kid's backyard that would be awesome, but in all honesty that sounds like a really difficult theme to pull off, and nothing in the concept art really suggests that they will (although I could always be proven wrong).

Why is there a hardtop path for tourists in Andy's backyard? Will the grass be convincing as grass? Will the Christmas lights feel like Andy set these up for his pretend backyard theme park or will they feel like toy-themed decorations? Why did Andy put a giant statue of Woody there? Why are there tiny bathrooms in Andy's backyard? Etc etc. Now I admit that some reality is always going to intrude and some suspension of disbelief is always required, but at some point a limit is hit and the magic is lost. It seems likely to me that Toy Story Land is going to come in well over that limit, and if so, rather than being magically transported to another world, I'll be visiting a tastefully decorated amusement park area and enjoying some nice rides populated with franchise characters. For a lot of people, that will be just fine. For me, though, I keep craving the awesome that I know Disney is capable of.

rioriz

Well well said and correct!

PorterRedkey

Those are the only places where it WOULD fit. I've heard of one concept that would feature a boat.
Care to say which IP?

Just about anything can use a boat as a ride system if you want.

It is true you can make anything a boat ride, but I have a hard time seeing a Millennium Falcon ride being a boat ride or even the ride where you battle the empire. If Carsland 2.0 is built for phase three, would they really have a boat ride in a land that is based on CARS! I don't think so. If The Incredibles is selected for Phase 3, I suppose they could make a boat ride out of it, but I think it might be a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps there are other IPs being looked at that might fit a water ride a little better than the ones listed above.

Kman101

I definitely agree that DHS's Toy Story Land is likely to be much higher quality than the various Playlands based on ride descriptions and concept art alone, but I don't think people's negative reaction is really about the Toy Story franchise itself or the rides, at least, if my own reaction is any indication. I think the coaster is likely to be good fun, and I doubt the final result will be as tacky looking as the Paris version. But I can't really get excited about Toy Story Land myself because the "Andy's backyard" theme feels so likely to be weak.

I'm sure everybody's mileage varies, but one of the things I love most about visiting Disney parks is the feeling of being enveloped in another world. It's why I love areas like New Orleans Square and the Morocco and Mexico pavilions so much - the theming is more all-encompassing and therefore more convincing. Hollywood Studios has some of this already on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards, and Star Wars Land looks likely to be strong in that department as well. Will Toy Story Land take me to a magical place where I'm the size of a toy? Or will it merely feel like I stepped into a theme park that's been decorated with characters and concepts from a popular franchise (that I happen to enjoy a lot, for the record)? If I really got to feel like I'm the size of a toy in a kid's backyard that would be awesome, but in all honesty that sounds like a really difficult theme to pull off, and nothing in the concept art really suggests that they will (although I could always be proven wrong).

Why is there a hardtop path for tourists in Andy's backyard? Will the grass be convincing as grass? Will the Christmas lights feel like Andy set these up for his pretend backyard theme park or will they feel like toy-themed decorations? Why did Andy put a giant statue of Woody there? Why are there tiny bathrooms in Andy's backyard? Etc etc. Now I admit that some reality is always going to intrude and some suspension of disbelief is always required, but at some point a limit is hit and the magic is lost. It seems likely to me that Toy Story Land is going to come in well over that limit, and if so, rather than being magically transported to another world, I'll be visiting a tastefully decorated amusement park area and enjoying some nice rides populated with franchise characters. For a lot of people, that will be just fine. For me, though, I keep craving the awesome that I know Disney is capable of.

But it COULD be awesome. I totally get where you're coming from. But you're setting yourself up to be disappointed without even experiencing it. I think that's what many are doing when they complain. You've set it up for yourself to expect it to be that way and it may not be.

JediMasterMatt

Just see TSL for what it is... it's an inexpensive non-time consuming way to get capacity added to the park in advance of Star Wars Land. If you speak Universal-ese, it's the Transformers in advance of Diagon Alley.

TSL will be a nice addition to the park. Nothing more. It's not Carsland or Pandora in scope and it never will be. It can still be immersive; but, that doesn't mean that is has to be impressive in its grandeur. Immersion comes from the little details.

I'll just be happy if it isn't an eyesore like the other Toy Story Lands around the world.

Re: the concept of Toy Story Land of being shrunken down to size in Andy's backyard, to paraphrase Tom Hanks from Big - "Well, what's fun or impressive about that?"

Chris82

Re: the concept of Toy Story Land of being shrunken down to size in Andy's backyard, to paraphrase Tom Hanks from Big - "Well, what's fun or impressive about that?"

Yeah, that's probably closer to the truth than the reasons I came up with for feeling meh about Toy Story Land. So easy to know what we feel, so hard to know why.

Last edited:

Chris82

But it COULD be awesome. I totally get where you're coming from. But you're setting yourself up to be disappointed without even experiencing it. I think that's what many are doing when they complain. You've set it up for yourself to expect it to be that way and it may not be.

Don't get me wrong - I'm gonna try to keep an open mind. I just wish Disney didn't make it so challenging ;)

ToTBellHop

Care to say which IP?

It is true you can make anything a boat ride, but I have a hard time seeing a Millennium Falcon ride being a boat ride or even the ride where you battle the empire. If Carsland 2.0 is built for phase three, would they really have a boat ride in a land that is based on CARS! I don't think so. If The Incredibles is selected for Phase 3, I suppose they could make a boat ride out of it, but I think it might be a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps there are other IPs being looked at that might fit a water ride a little better than the ones listed above.
Would rather not specify but it's not part of Toy Story or Star Wars. We already know which rides are in those lands and none involve boats. From what I last heard, Cars Land is dead.

doctornick

Alternatively, if they could just revise some of the current scenes with properties Disney owns, that could help to (I know they would need to get things worked out with Universal, but having an "Avengers" section on TGMR with a life size, fully animitronic Hulk would be pretty cool!)

Well, they could have a GotG scene with a potentially impressive looking Groot..... No contractual entanglements for that option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom